Nikon 80-200 F2.8 AFS lens - small amount of play in casing

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have an 80-200 F2.8 AFS and I am getting fantastic results from it.
However there is a very small amount of movement/play in the outer casing(as if something is starting to work itself loose) and I wanted to check if this is "normal" or if it needs addressed/serviced.

All other aspects of the lens are spot on.

Anyone know of a local service agent to Milton Keynes area, who will give an honest opinion - I dont want to pay for a service if it doesn't need it - I'm a great believer in if it aint broken dont fix it - I just need to know if it aint broken!

Thanks,
Andy

I have a canon zoo that's like this, the large grip that does the zooming has sideways paly of 1-2mm. No idea if it's a problem as I haven't had it long

It might be a bit obvious, but have you checked there aren't any obviously loose screws?

They do occasionally fall out: especially in very hot operating conditions - the loc-tite sometimes fails and the screws work loose over time.
I now have a small placcy-bag with a couple of body and lens screws 'just in case'...

They do occasionally fall out: especially in very hot operating conditions - the loc-tite sometimes fails and the screws work loose over time.
I now have a small placcy-bag with a couple of body and lens screws 'just in case'...

Good call!

The play is between the zoom ring and the rear casing.
I can move it back and forth about 1mm. The screws which look like they hold this together are extremely small, and on very close inspection I've spotted one of the four I can see is missing!

So next question is, where would I get some spares and screw driver small enough for the job?

Thanks for your help guys :)

You can get the screws from Nikon, or probably from any camera repair shop. A set of jeweller's screwdrivers should have one small enough to do the job, but a decent set though, the cheap ones just end up damaging the screwheads.

I just emailed Nikon and they sent me a few, FOC...
Most electrical shops have sets of jewellers' screwdrivers...they don't need to be posh ones - cheap-o will do the trick if you're careful.
And a tiny dab of loc-tite thread-loc as well...

Back