nikon and the red channel

Name
Alasdair
Edit My Images
Yes
Having read about the overexposure/out of gaumet of the red channel with nikon camers, and having noticed it when taking photos of red or yellow flowers,(ok in bright sun light) I have been trying to counter it and see if i could get
all the colours exposed correctly, well I have just discovered something strange, when i took a photo of a red flower, the historgram on the camera showed the red channel spiking on the right hand side, when the
same photo was opened in PS the same spike on the red channel was shown, and in camera raw was highlighted as out of gaumet, but as i have just discovered when the same photo is opened in view nx the red channel is fine and there are no blown/out of gaumet red highlights, so is the historgram on the camera wrong/right along with PS or is
is view nx.
which do i believe.

P.S this all started when I tried to get a photo of a sunflower for the GF and although the red channel from that photo is blown, in view nx it is much less and can be salvaged. :shrug:
any thoughts on this

Nikons have always been a bit 'warm' compared to say: Canooon...it's just something you have to live with - personally I like it...

yeah I read that they where a bit warm compared to canon, but It's the historgram bit that gets me, why the differance for the same photo

In-camera histograms are inaccurate and based on the JPEG embedded with the raw - this embedded JPEG uses in-camera settings.

The only way to get accurate histograms in-camera is to use raw and to shoot UniWB.

Or just use some -EV to be safe, which is easier than UniWB faff.

The only way to get accurate histograms in-camera is to use raw and to shoot UniWB.

Or just use some -EV to be safe, which is easier than UniWB faff.

ahh ok so expose to the right unless you use nikon(y) :LOL:

edit I also tried changing WB settings ie more blue/green works for some shots but in others the colours are way off.
not so easy this WB lark

ahh ok so expose to the right unless you use nikon(y) :LOL:

Camera raw (and Lightroom) applies a 0.5EV+ "correction"* as a baseline by default.

*I say "correction" because this is doing the wrong thing.

Back