Nikon B3/K3 Focus Screen thickness?

Sorry, can't answer that - though I did have a spare one I sold both the spare and the camera a while back, otherwise I would have got the vernier calipers out for you! I do know that they'll be the same as the earlier un-numbered (B, E, K etc) screens for the FE and the B2 etc series screens in the FM2, FA, FE2 etc, as they are interchangeable (just the later ones are brighter). Dunno if that helps at all.

Sorry, can't answer that - though I did have a spare one I sold both the spare and the camera a while back, otherwise I would have got the vernier calipers out for you! I do know that they'll be the same as the earlier un-numbered (B, E, K etc) screens for the FE and the B2 etc series screens in the FM2, FA, FE2 etc, as they are interchangeable (just the later ones are brighter). Dunno if that helps at all.

Ok thanks for your help. I just ordered one so will find out soon.

I reckon you are looking at about 2.5mm maybe

Thanks for the replies. I managed to sort it, I got a B3 screen, borrowed a digital vernier and it comes out at 1.6mm, the old screen in my FM is 2.1mm, I successfully managed to modify the B3 screen and shim it to the same thickness to install in my FM. What a world of difference! The B3 is 10 times better, lovely and bright with amazing clarity and contrast compared to the old FM screen and dead easy to focus, everything just snaps into focus now.

Update: After a good go with the new screen the focus was off, it would appear the screen does not need shimming after all, although the screens are the thicknesses I mentioned above, the old FM screen is perfectly flat but the B3 is slightly raised on the polished side, so just took the shims back out and have been out giving it a good go, perfect now! The B3 is one full stop brighter so just need to allow for that on the ISO dial.

Great stuff, well done. The 3 screens are so much brighter, and the split images don't blacken like the earlier ones do.

Back