Nikon base cameras

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

We are considering a small entry type level camera.

We already have a d300 (well pleased with it) and would like a nikon lens base camera.

I have borrowed a colleagues camera (D40) and although the size is nice, the shutter lag from fully clicking to the picture being taken is atrocious. Its almost like trying to take a picture with your phone... delayed.

Anyway, having a browse online the main stores appear to only sell the up to date models and we wouldn't mind a second hand one.

Has anyone got the D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80 and used a D300 who can comment on the shutter lag?
Or can anyone suggest other brands that can use nikon lens (mainly so we don't need to buy too many lenses)?

Currently owned lenses:
- 18-200 vr came with the d300
- 105 macro (older digital one I think pre vr) (excellent results)
- 11-16 tokina (very vreative - have to get used to weird exposures)

Thinking of getting:
- 50mm f1.4 for the bokeh/blurred backgrounds

Shutter lag.....hmmm.

Did you use both cameras in the same conditions (i.e. available light) using the same lens?

both cameras with on board flash.

There is a distinct almost 1 sec delay on fully pressing on the d40 to the mirror moving and the shot being taken.

Same place and lens the d300 snaps a lot faster...

Hi & welcome aboard!

The difference that your describing won't be 'shutter lag' as there is no such thing with a dslr unless it's bost :LOL: That kind of delay is only apparent with the likes of camera phones etc.

You mentioned that your having a bash with the on board flash on both camera's, it sounds like there's a difference in the syncing modes between the D300 and the D40, most likely the D40 is in slow sync flash mode.

Next time do the tests without the on board (y)

Removed. No Dealing outside the classifieds section. Thanks
Tomas:
Well its not only on board, I used my colleagues flash gun (sb-400) and had the same problem.

Seem to have solved it ***. It was the red eye setting delaying the shot... Put it on flash, and works fast.

Very weird, but I dont usually take pics of people and therefore haven't used red eye on my camera... Just tried it and it flashes once with no delay - guess its something in the d40?

Read your initial post and thought - Red Eye reduction :p

If you look at the front of the D40 the bright white LED used for focusing in dark conditions lights up for a while to get the pupils to open up, thereby reducing red eye.
Much better to do it in PP, and the D40 is pretty good at not giving red eye in the first place.

:thinking: Red-eye is caused by the flash illuminating the blood vessels in the back of the eye, it's nowt to do with the make or model of the camera.....

Sorry but the camera does make a difference. The flash position will affect redeye, so a lot of P&S are terrible as the built in flash is near the lens axis. :)

Sorry but the camera does make a difference. The flash position will affect redeye, so a lot of P&S are terrible as the built in flash is near the lens axis. :)

Yes, the position of the flash makes a difference, however the onboard flash on the D40 is in the same position as every Nikon dslr that has one and pretty much every other dlsr on the market (before someone points out some obscure camera that has it elsewhere :LOL:), so I'm at a loss as to how it is a feature worth mentioning in regard to the D40 and as for p+s cameras, no-one mentioned them at all....

So its a problem with the D40... Is it the same on a D50/60/70/80 ?

Also compared with the 300 it doesn't seem to have that many options, however the other half has suggested size and weight is great.

Are the other models (d40x upwards) similar in weighs and functions?

I'd say it's not a problem with the D40.

What options/functions do you require from a camera?

sdb123:
Well I suppose its that there are only 3 focal points on the D40. Would the other models have a lot more?

Not really critcal ***, just thinking the more options you can play with the more creative some shots can be.

I had a milota 5d before the d300 and the options and quality increased greatly between those. The D40 I'm playing with is ok but I personally would have likes a few more focal points and some other options (its still logical and I'm without a manual and still got most of the settings right).

Guess I am being picky/nosey and wondering if there is a lighter body model with similar options to the d300 at a reasonable price :)

Thanks for the posts and advice

One of the older models, like a D70/D70s would give you more focal points and a built-in af motor, but you'll pay the same for one of those as a new or nearly new D40 body.

One of the older models, like a D70/D70s would give you more focal points and a built-in af motor, but you'll pay the same for one of those as a new or nearly new D40 body.

I agree entirely.
AF-S lenses which will autofocus on the D40 are expensive & there are not many of them. Probably the main reason why I will change.

I don't know of this is of any help but i use a D50 and have never noticed any shutter lag in any situation. Yes if using the flash there is a few secs betwwen shots due to it charging up, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I can't comment and compare to a d300 *** as ive never used one sorry.

I had a milota 5d before the d300 and the options and quality increased greatly between those. The D40 I'm playing with is ok but I personally would have likes a few more focal points and some other options
the 5D & the D40 are pretty much on a par (same sensor) - tbh I would probably put the 5D ahead of the D40 ...
To compare either with a D300 though is wrong as the D300 is aimed at a different part of the market, a different photographer & is built & priced accordingly.

Of the current Nikon bodies I believe that you neeed a D90 or above for autofocus with screw-driven lenses.

You mention the focus points for effects etc, you could just half depress the shutter and recompose for the same effect

Make sure the flash isnt on red eye reduction. Had the same problem on my d300 and couldnt figure it out for a while :LOL:

Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

TheCrow:
D50 sounds ok too. :)

KingBling:
On my d300 with red eye on still get no lag, just on the d40 (which has been explained in one of the other posts)

Frenzied:
Yeeees. But if the dof is shallow, might mess up. Ah, it is for my wife *** so might not be a problem. She seems happy with the D40 size - so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

Qs:
D70 - is this a lit bigger n heavier than the D40 (in your opinions) ?

The d70 is a little bit heavier and bigger than the d40, and yeah if the dof is shallow it could mess up but its not to difficult to learn how to judge, i find myself recomposing more than adjusting my focus points simply as its how i learnt.

The d40 is a brilliant little camera and i still take my 60 out instead of my 200 if im wanting to go light weight, yes its not as advanced as other cameras but it will out perform the d70 in terms of iso performance and the software on the d40/60 is brilliant especially for learning about how the functions actually affect the camera *Visible appeture change on the back screen springs to mind*, the only let down is the fact it doesnt have an inbuilt motor.

Shutter lag on the D40? Not that I've ever noticed!

Shutter lag times are specified in DPReview's reviews. Worth checking them for comparisons.

Yes, the D70 is a lot bigger and heavier than the D40. It may intimidate your wife from its' size and weight.

Personally, I think the D40 to be one of the best dSlRs Nikon introduced. Price and feature can't be beaten, especially for the price it was on offer for. In 2008 you could have picked a new one with the 18-55 AF-S kit lens for not much more than £220. Shame they've stopped making them.

I'd stick with the D40 for the Ms. The shutter lag you speak of, regardless of what may have been causing it, is of no hindrance to her ability to use that camera very well and get some outstanding results with it.

If 3 focusing-points (which the D40 has) is too limiting, then dare I suggest to use manual focus :shrug: .. that way she get's an infinite number of focus points, that are limited only by her use of the lens manually.

On the flip-side of all this, the D70 is a very good camera too. I've had to "upgrade" one of my D70 (I had two) to a D40 .. yes, it was an upgrade since I wanted one body with me 24/7. The D70 was a bit too big to carry all the time, hence the D40 came in at a perfect fit. So much so, that I've ended-up buying 3 more D40 for other members of my family who loved it for its' form and size.

i'm only a virgin photographer currently driving a Nikon D40 until my newly online purchased D90 arrives but there does seem to be shutter lag with the D40. only minimal but i believe there is one so it'll be interesting to see how the D90 compares.

Yes, the D70 is a lot bigger and heavier than the D40. It may intimidate your wife from its' size and weight.

Personally, I think the D40 to be one of the best dSlRs Nikon introduced. Price and feature can't be beaten, especially for the price it was on offer for. In 2008 you could have picked a new one with the 18-55 AF-S kit lens for not much more than £220. Shame they've stopped making them.

I'd stick with the D40 for the Ms. The shutter lag you speak of, regardless of what may have been causing it, is of no hindrance to her ability to use that camera very well and get some outstanding results with it.

If 3 focusing-points (which the D40 has) is too limiting, then dare I suggest to use manual focus :shrug: .. that way she get's an infinite number of focus points, that are limited only by her use of the lens manually.

On the flip-side of all this, the D70 is a very good camera too. I've had to "upgrade" one of my D70 (I had two) to a D40 .. yes, it was an upgrade since I wanted one body with me 24/7. The D70 was a bit too big to carry all the time, hence the D40 came in at a perfect fit. So much so, that I've ended-up buying 3 more D40 for other members of my family who loved it for its' form and size.

Can the D40 and kit lens still be bought for £220 new and if so where from?

the 5D & the D40 are pretty much on a par (same sensor) - tbh I would probably put the 5D ahead of the D40 ...

wow i never knew canon lent nikon its ff sensor to the d40 :D

( i'd still put the nikon ahead though )

I shot probably 8-10k images on my D40 before moving to my D300 - never experienced any lag.

Can the D40 and kit lens still be bought for £220 new and if so where from?

I don't think you can still find it new at that price; you'll kindly note that I said "in 2008 ...."

Still, with the going rate of Nikon stuff, the D40 is still a bargain, if you can find one new.

I should point out, I still use my trusty-old D40, besides the D60 and D700. It's an excellent camera by all measures.

Having just invested in a D90 after 12 months with a D40, here are my thoughts.

The D40, whilst it seems quick most of the time, does have moments of "thinking time" when there is noticable shutter lag, even after focus has been locked. I can only surmise this is the processor taking its time assessing exposure, colour balance, etc. However, a lot of the time the D40 just points and goes with no delay at all. In summary, shutter lag can vary from instant to noticable.

The D90 however is very fast in comparison and suffers from no noticable shutter lag. I presume it has a much faster processor.

In addition, the shutter mechanism in both cameras is different. The D40 one can hear more "stages" of the shutter mechanism: mirror up, shutter, mirror down, can all be heard as distinct entities in themselves, whereas the D90 is one fast thunk.

Moving from the D40 to the D90, I have been most impressed by the increased speed of handling, especially the improved shutter/exposure mechanism, and the dedicated buttons for common adjustments.

Image quality wise, the D40 punches above its weight; the D90 is only subtly better, and I wouldn't like to claim I could tell the difference once reduced for the web. Shame they've discontinued the D40... suffice to say I won't be selling!

The D40 one can hear more "stages" of the shutter mechanism: mirror up, shutter, mirror down, can all be heard as distinct entities in themselves, whereas the D90 is one fast thunk.

Wait till you hear one of the higher-end bodies shutter click...:D

Back