Nikon D3

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
With the constant march of technology, does the D3 still cut it with you lot?

Opinions please.

In what respect Simon ? The question is a bit vague.

Personally, I used 2 for weddings but the overall weight made me change to smaller bodies.

Generally though, I love them and I wouldn't hesitate in using them again if pressed.

Image quality is still superb in my opinion unless you're a heavy cropper...:naughty:

Why the question Pete - well they are getting long in the tooth, but have been totally reliable and the older of the two has north of 250,000 shutter counts. The second one is about a year younger but was always used as back up, or as different lens second carry, so has only done 90,000 or so. I also use the older one at sea and only use the younger one ashore in good weather (no point creating two old nails!).

I have started to get some enquiries about videos as well. Currently I create these using the P7800 which does a great job for my abilities! We are not talking high end videos here, just add ons to a photo shoot. I was begininng to think about combining the two in one package - but those I talk to don't fill me with confidence enough to drop the D3 and get a newer body with video in it. The D3 used properly still produces some great pictures and being old they owe me nothing - plus the old one I am happy to get doused with saltwater (the sea) and not worry. It has put up with this kind of treatment since ity was launched (this was the first D3 in private hands in the UK - even ahead of The Telegraph, which got up Bob Bodman's nose a bit, so I rubbed it in. (Who is Bob Bodman? He was picture editor on The Telegraph at the time).

I have a quandry, because I doubt the modern ultra high electronic cameras would last the same. The other thing is the amount of image information that publications or web use can make of the file sizes created by newer cameras - the P7800 creates 25MB files for heavens sake! I just wonder how much of the extra quality will be discarded at the production end, and therefore it might as well not be there - I don't need to fill up my confuser and spend out on higher end kit for the user to downgrade it again. I am inclined to soldier on as I am, but I am starting to think down these lines. The money isn't an issue, if I need to I will - it is whether I need to that I am questioning. The D3 bodies owe me nothing and are'nt worth much I doubt, maybe £500 and £750 perhaps - maybe not that much. The other thing is the high frame rate - the higher quality new bodies seem slow in comparison, and then there are the stupid card formats. The more I think of it, the more I am better off keeping these going!

I love my D3. A lot. I didn't buy it new but I love it to bits. I bought it with 134k clicks and I didn't bat an eyelid. D3 and Sigma 50mm ART is all I need!!

There's nothing about in the shops at this moment that is able to pull me away from my D3. I've been looking at Fuji for a more compact 2nd camera, but this would supplement my Nikon gear, not replace it. I have the V1 with the FT-1 so I don't even need the Fuji. Anyway, I'd buy a 2nd D3 tomorrow if I weren't off to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks. In fact I'd be more than tempted to buy either of yours from you despite the mileage ;) Just bear that in mind should you decide to sell around New Year!!

Image quality is still superb in my opinion unless you're a heavy cropper...:naughty:

Are you one of those that imagines that anyone who bought anything above a 16mp body loves to crop all the time? :rolleyes:

The D3 was that camera ... the one I dreamt about, the one I imagined I could never possess. Ever since I started to take photography a step further than just a casual hobby I guess. It was an awesome beast, both to look at and hold, and for the image quality it put out. Then the D3s ... Oh man! [tbh, I would have died for a D2x at one point!] By the time I actually could afford to buy an FX body though, the D800 series was about, and bought the D800E - and no, I don't crop intensely much, though it's nice to know I can if I want to :p

I'd still not say no to a D3 though.

Its going to be my one and only full frame upgrade in a couple of weeks keeping the D300 as a second body.

Recently had a chance to buy an ex-rental D3 with 300K actuations for a really good price and love it to bits. Yes I know I will have to spend £400 at some stage if I want to replace the shutter and when it comes to it I'll shall have to think carefully. Not being a pro I'm happy to keep it going until it gives up the ghost. Build quality and handlng are just superb. My other Nikon is a now elderly D200 and recently a Pana gh-1 for mobility. As with an earlier post I have lusted after a D2X. I'm now a happy bunny as I dont think I could ever justify a D800 or D750 as a hobby camera. Always wanted FF.

Peter, I bought a D3 with 238000 clicks on it and didn't think twice about it (it did have a shutter replaced for peace of mind, not because of it dying). Im in Buenos Aires at the moment but if you want, I can check the price of the shutter upon my return to the UK. I'm 99% sure it was £200 but don't quote he on that! I've still got the receipt anyway.

I absolutely love mine to bits as well. There's something to be said about these pro bodies.

I dont think they represent good value at all in the used market - especially when you look at what you can get a d750 for. And, unless youre abusing it, you'll not need the 'pro' construction.

If you have one already and are happy shooting with it, then thats different. Only change if you need to.

I'm fairly new to the hobby and use a D7100 (for motorsports mainly) , however I'm itching to try a FF body and am thinking D3/D700, so reading positive threads like this on the older bodies, is just the info that I need to keep me away from spending extra on a used D800 or new D610.

Just picked up a D3 for my first ff body to go with my D300. It was the only ff body i considered as the price is a bargain compared to much newer bodies and any savings can go towards lenses. My D300 is virtually always gripped so size and weight made it feel natural to hold. There is one in the classifieds that at £800 with around 70k on the shutter is hard not to buy if you're looking for one.

The D3 is/was an amazing camera. It delivered the goods in the past and so there's no reason why it still can't now.

BUT

Technology has moved on. People are still wanting £700-£800 for the D3 and much more for the D3s. The problem is that for less money you can get the D600. So unless you are a professional who needs the build quality, I wonder why you would go for the D3 over the D600?

The latter has better IQ, more megapixels, cheaper and lighter.

If you are a working professional then surely you'd prefer to get at least the D3s?

Reactions: mpe
The D3 is/was an amazing camera. It delivered the goods in the past and so there's no reason why it still can't now.

BUT

Technology has moved on. People are still wanting £700-£800 for the D3 and much more for the D3s. The problem is that for less money you can get the D600. So unless you are a professional who needs the build quality, I wonder why you would go for the D3 over the D600?

The latter has better IQ, more megapixels, cheaper and lighter.

If you are a working professional then surely you'd prefer to get at least the D3s?

ergonomics for one, some people prefer larger cameras and the sheer quality makes them a joy to shoot with. I've recently switched from D3s's to smaller cameras, admittedly weight was the driving factor, but then I have a bad back and often shoot for 10 hours at a time. If I had a choice of a D600/610 or a D3 (for general use) and was shooting for shorter periods I'd go for the D3 everytime.

you will get a D700 in better nick and lower clicks for less money ……. as the D700 in general have not had such a hard life as many were not bought by "pros"

Peter, I bought a D3 with 238000 clicks on it and didn't think twice about it (it did have a shutter replaced for peace of mind, not because of it dying). Im in Buenos Aires at the moment but if you want, I can check the price of the shutter upon my return to the UK. I'm 99% sure it was £200 but don't quote he on that! I've still got the receipt anyway.

I absolutely love mine to bits as well. There's something to be said about these pro bodies.

Thanks Mark

I'd be delighted to hear if it is £200 for a shutter replacement on a D3 but recent phone calls to Nikon and Fixation suggested £400 was about the price I would have to pay. I need to replace the front rubber adjacent to the card slot if anyones knows a supplier otherwise I guess its Nikon UK

D3 still cuts it? I would say it depends on what your planning to use it for. The D3 is still far better then most of the cameras out there in many aspects. I see someone mentioned the D600 above for example. For me who tends to shoot mostly sport the D3 is so much better in so many ways. Its auto focus speed and accuracy is outstanding far more suited to fast action. The D3 also have a incredibly quick shutter response, it's almost a masive 3 times quicker then the D600. The 9fps the D3 has again is very welcome for action shots. It also has a much longer battery life so handy when you are camping out for long periods. The build quality of the top end Nikons is incredible too. My old D2h had around 250,000 and when I had a chat with the guys at the service centre they said it may do twice that. There is a D3 on ebay at the moment with sum 700,000 actuations on it.

Last edited:
Peter, I didn't get any alerts to say there was a reply/replies. I'm off to Ireland in the morning but I will do this upon my return. Only going for 2 days.

Back