nikon d300s or d7000

Name
Glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well its about time that i treat myself to a new camara and as the title says im torn between the d300s and 7000. your opinions are much apreciated.
Im mainly looking at wildlife photography if that helps.

The main difference between the two would probably be the higher frame rate of the D300s (especially with the MB-D10 grip) which makes it 2FPS faster and also the Full HD video.
The ISO range is better in the D7000 but the build of the D300s seems better than the D7000.

Ultimately it depends on what you prefer, all I can say is go to a camera shop and try them both out and see which one you like most before parting with your money.

WP-UK said:
The main difference between the two would probably be the higher frame rate of the D300s (especially with the MB-D10 grip) which makes it 2FPS faster and also the Full HD video.
The ISO range is better in the D7000 but the build of the D300s seems better than the D7000.

Ultimately it depends on what you prefer, all I can say is go to a camera shop and try them both out and see which one you like most before parting with your money.

I have used a d300s since it came out and its a rugged camera, most pros would consider it a very good camera and it will probably be fondly remembered as a bit of a classic crop sensor in years to come.

But I would be seriously looking at the D7000 if that extra toughness and frame rate wasnt so important, but video was.

Forget the extra res, its not enough to matter unless you are getting up to about 21mp and printing large high quality stuff for fashion etc.

The D300S has a better body in terms of quality of construction and controls and also better AF. The D7000 is newer tech and higher spec in most other areas. Depends what you want. Nikon Cafe has a very active DX forum which has lots on both cameras. Most people on here will say the D300s because it has a pro body.

I would go for D300s everytime, unless the additional MP is a big issue for the stuff you shoot/present.

My d7000 came earlier on in the week, and i was kind of regretting my decision looking at the d300s, but now its come its incredible, it feels solid but the iso performance WOW i can shoot at 3200 and it looks as good if not better than my old d40 at 400 its apparently only a stop off full frame noise levels. Also as a little hint, if you do go for the d7000, camera world have refurbs at £780 that where i got mine from and the only reason i would have know it was a refurb is the slightly bashed box, but the camera is MINT!

Jake

go for the D7000 - low light performance, light and compact and wonderful battery. Only slight issue was the small buffer but the latest U-1 (or whatever they are called) SD cards overcome that.

frame rate of D7000 is about double that of the D300 if you use raw I believe as I think the D300 drops to 2 or 3 fps whereas the D7000 keeps going at full rate.

This thread reminds me of what the guy in the Jessops said to me when I bought my D7000 - "personally I'd get the d300s because of how it feels but at the end of the day the d7000 takes the better photo and that's what it's all about. I'd still get the d300s though!"

Didn't feel like he was trying to persuade me either way. I guess it goes to show that you need to get your hands on both.

Personally, I love my D7000 :)

tim_uk said:
frame rate of D7000 is about double that of the D300 if you use raw I believe as I think the D300 drops to 2 or 3 fps whereas the D7000 keeps going at full rate.

Only if you set it to 14 bit raw, it'll drop to about 2.5fps. 12 bit raw still gives the full framerate - and it's arguable if said bit depth makes a difference other than in extreme shooting conditions.

What's the viewfinder like on the D7000 compared to the D300? It's one of the things I love about my D300. Huge viewing area, it just looks so big and clear! This compared with my old D70 admittedly.

The D7000 can shoot 22 Jpegs @ 6fps before it starts to slow down. It can shoot 10 RAW files @ 6fps before it slows down.

The D300S can shoot 100 Jpegs @ 7.1fps. That is a big difference of 4x the number of images compared to the D7000. :eek: It can also shoot 17 RAW files @ 7.1fps before it starts to slow down. That's a 70% increase in the number of continuous image capture ability. Only prospective buyers can say how important that would be. :shrug:

I haven't heard how any new SD cards affect the continuous shooting rate/capacity. :shrug:

The battery grip can also increase the frames per second rate to 8 when used with certain batteries.

Those figures are from the reviews of each camera at DPreview btw. ;)

As mentioned by Frobius, the RAW frame rate on the D300/S drops when used in 14bit mode. Again, according to the review of the D7000 says that the viewfinder is the same as the D300S. Only a side by side test could say whether they are different, but I doubt they are, taking the numbers into account.

Choosing between the D7000 and D300S is a very difficult decision, as Nikon have upped the specs a lot from the D90, and approached/matched/exceeded some of the specs of the D300S. Nikon are keeping quiet about the D300s successor, should there be one, as if it exists, it would affect possible D7000 sales as in the case here. ;)

The Tsunami in Japan will have an affect on Nikon's plans to some degree, but I doubt the consumer will learn how it is affecting the camera release plans until maybe a camera is released. And even then, they may not let people know what the effects have been beyond how long the factory was shut for.

Surely, because the OP has stated it's for wildlife it has to be the camera that gives the best images at say 800ISO and 1600ISO? DxOMark for sensors gives the D300s 787ISO and the D7000 1167ISO so the D7000 seems to be the one to go for. It also has 1.5 stops extra dynamic range and more accurate ISO markings.

:whistle: Plus with a D300s if you decide to go for a D700 later at least the MB-D10 would still fit - unlike the MB-D11 :LOL: :coat: :exit: ........ Also the D7000 has 19 scene options :thinking: why :shrug: My OH little Canon P&S has those as well - for a lot less than the price of the D7000... Stay with the D300's ......

All said with one's "tongue in cheek" :razz:​

Last edited:
Back