Nikon D3300

Rik

Name
Rikki Standley
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm looking to buying my first DSLR camera, can anyone give me some advise on the Nikon D3300 (I.e what is it like to use, if it's a good camera)

Much appreciated

Rik

Hi Rik,

I recently bought a Nikon D3200 as the D3300 has been discontinued - the new model will be called either D3400 or D3500 and should be announced very soon. There's info on Nikon rumours.
I got the D3200 second hand from Wex with a 12 month warranty, so far have taken some great shots - it has the same sensor as the D3300 (24MP) and I find the controls very user friendly - try out a canon too and see which you prefer.

Hope that's useful,

The answers depend on your expectations and needs. In terms of image quality it has a very good sensor and therefore the potential to produce excellent images. In terms of what it's like to use, for an entry level DSLR it's very good. It doesn't have the controls of the higher end DSLRs which can be both a good and bad thing. If you're new to it then it can be less daunting and allow you to build your skills. As you gain experience you may find the 'lack' of controls a little limiting, but depending on how quickly you learn and how much you use the camera that might not be for a few years.

In short the D3200/3300 are excellent first DSLRs.

I've got one and I think it's a great camera. On the minus side it lacks some features of the more expensive models (auto bracketing comes to mind) and doesn't have as many external controls. However on the plus side it's lightweight, has excellent battery life and all the main controls are easily accessible from the "i" menu.

I generally leave it in my preferred setup and just switch between A and S modes.

My other cameras are Panasonic m4/3 models that have more features and more buttons but that doesn't make me feel that the D3300 is inferior because it lacks them.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic camera, I have a D7200 and still find myself going back to the D3300 when traveling it's just so light almost toy like. You need to learn all the short cuts as that will make life a lot easier when wanting more control over the camera with speed. As for picture quality that depends on you taking the photo!. Pretty sure it has a very similar sensor to its more expensive models.

I have a D3300, and it is not my first DSLR it is my 3rd one. Good image quality even at high ISO. Only two niggles I have, and one is it only has eleven autofocus points, and they are all crammed in the centre. The other niggle being, there is no focus motor in the body, so I can't use all my older lenses. But I already did know about them before I bought the camera, so I can live with it. Besides it is only a cheap camera, so can't complain.

I have a D3300, and it is not my first DSLR it is my 3rd one. Good image quality even at high ISO. Only two niggles I have, and one is it only has eleven autofocus points, and they are all crammed in the centre. The other niggle being, there is no focus motor in the body, so I can't use all my older lenses. But I already did know about them before I bought the camera, so I can live with it. Besides it is only a cheap camera, so can't complain.

I don't see the lack of focus motor as a major disadvantage as it makes the body smaller and lighter. If the OP is just starting out he/she is unlikely to have legacy lenses and there's plenty of choice in lenses with built-in focus motor (AF-S?).

I agree about the focus points but I generally take photos of things that don't move much (or at all) so I don't find it a disadvantage personally. It's all about working within the capabilities of the camera. How did we manage in the days of manual focus?

I don't see the lack of focus motor as a major disadvantage as it makes the body smaller and lighter. If the OP is just starting out he/she is unlikely to have legacy lenses and there's plenty of choice in lenses with built-in focus motor (AF-S?).

I agree about the focus points but I generally take photos of things that don't move much (or at all) so I don't find it a disadvantage personally. It's all about working within the capabilities of the camera. How did we manage in the days of manual focus?

I did not say it was a disadvantage, I said it was my little niggle. Can be a pain if I wanted to pick a focus point towards the bottom of the frame, yes I know there is a work around. Picking a focus point from one of the eleven, then re composing. In the days of manual focus, some of us did manage, some of us did not. Now you can take a photo one handed :)

Hi in the end I bought a refurbished D3300 with a 18-55 kit lens & 55-200 lens from digital depot. Seems like a nice camera just need to get my head around using manual mode, etc

Thank you both for the comments

Last edited:
Hi in the end I bought a refurbished D3300 with a 18-55 kit lens & 55-200 lens from digital depot. Seems like a nice camera just need to get my head around using manual mode, etc

Thank you both for the comments
I tend to stick mine in Aperture priority when out and about. Might use manual indoors, but that is only occasionally.

Reactions: Rik
Thank you for the link, that looks like it will be helpful

Back