Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Sorry my bad, just noticed you said that in your last post. I haven't noticed this on mine but will have a play later to see. Pretty big fault if you can't predict what ISO is going to be used even when setting it in manual.

Right. Cracked it.

Although I had selected the iso from the image screen (the one that appears when you are shooting), I had not in selected to turn off the auto iso deep in the settings menu... DOH!

Think I will be out playing tonight again now to make up!

Worth setting the fn button to ISO if you haven't already as well. Saves having to jump in to the i menu to change it.

Worth setting the fn button to ISO if you haven't already as well. Saves having to jump in to the i menu to change it.

Yes have done that, which is why I was confused why the iso wasn't what was selected initially, but there is a setting deep in its menu's that seems to over ride this for some reason. Once that was changed from auto to manual choice then I have noticed a larger difference in the photos.

Gotta wave goodbye to this thread now, the D3100 is all bundled up back in its box and ready to be traded in at CEX. It's been a great camera and I'm hoping the D7000 will do me proud :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did CEX give you ? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to a d7000 too.

Thanks

If you pop the camera name into the search box on the cex website, you'll find the page which tells you what they sell, buy and offer in-store exchange value for.

Bear in mind that these are best prices for best condition/all the accessories, so you'll be offered less if it is tatty with no box etc.

Now I've got to find a decent, warm lunchtime to take it in for valuation.

I bought a D3100 yesterday, my first foray into the world of DSLR and photography in general!

I have no idea what anything does but looking forward to getting my teeth into it and learning what the camera is capable of. Going to stick with the kit lens just now until I'm more proficient with the basic settings.

Colin44 said:
I bought a D3100 yesterday, my first foray into the world of DSLR and photography in general!

I have no idea what anything does but looking forward to getting my teeth into it and learning what the camera is capable of. Going to stick with the kit lens just now until I'm more proficient with the basic settings.

Stick to A,S, and Manual and you'll learn faster, take tests shots of a static object in the same light at each setting in each mode and see what happens :)

Seems kit lens that came with the camera will limit what its capable of, any recommendations on other lenses for the D3100?

Not quite sure what extras to buy, high on the list is a tripod, additional battery and wireless remote but a new lens I think will be on the cards too.

A decent bag and strap will be good.

Recommendations for lenses will depend upon the type of photography you want to be doing, be it portrait, landscapes, fast moving nature/sports.

I find the 35mm AF-S 1.8G a wonderfully sharp lens for portraits and some landscape shots.

Seems kit lens that came with the camera will limit what its capable of, any recommendations on other lenses for the D3100?

Colin, I wouldn't jump into thinking about replacing the kit lens straight away, you've only had the camera a day. Its more than a capable performer. :)

You've already confessed "I have no idea what anything does", so my advice would be to ditch automatic modes, stick with the kit lens and read, practice, read, practice etc. Once you've nailed the concepts of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they interact with each other you'll be taking good shots and you might be in a better position to know what lens you need and where your photography is taking you.

Until then, don't get drawn into "my lens isn't good enough". Trust me, I was there too at the start thinking it was the lens. LOL. It wasn't! ;)

As someone else said, "Understanding Exposure" is £13 well spent to get to grips with concepts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandi...-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Last edited:
Colin, I wouldn't jump into thinking about replacing the kit lens straight away, you've only had the camera a day. Its more than a capable performer. :)

You've already confessed "I have no idea what anything does", so my advice would be to ditch automatic modes, stick with the kit lens and read, practice, read, practice etc. Once you've nailed the concepts of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they interact with each other you'll be taking good shots and you might be in a better position to know what lens you need and where your photography is taking you.

Until then, don't get drawn into "my lens isn't good enough". Trust me, I was there too at the start thinking it was the lens. LOL. It wasn't! ;)

As someone else said, "Understanding Exposure" is £13 well spent to get to grips with concepts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandi...-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Couldn't have put it better myself. This photo, one of my favourites, was taken using the kit lens.

Casa Carbonell by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Thanks for the advise, too impatient to get good results with it. I have left it out of auto mode the last couple of days and been messing with the settings, reading up, watching tutorials to grasp what the camera is doing.

Think I will have to look into gettng Understanding Exposure, your not the first person to recommend this actually.

I got understanding exposure for Xmas - its a really good read and explains things very well. Whilst I have't "learnt" anything ( so far ), its made it much clearer in my mind

Well after seeing many pictures and reading lots of positive feedback on here, I've ordered myself a 35mm 1.8 to go with my D3100. Very chuffed as it's only cost me £73 in real money :)
Got it from amazon for £146, I had a £20 amazon voucher from Christmas, £35 cashback card from when I bought the D3100, and will get £20 cahback on the lens. Very happy with that, from what I've seen I don't think a better £70 could be spent on this camera.

Well after seeing many pictures and reading lots of positive feedback on here, I've ordered myself a 35mm 1.8 to go with my D3100.
From what I've seen I don't think a better £70 could be spent on this camera.
No, its very good. ;)

That and a Flash would be my first two suggestions to anyone.

My 35mm is ALWAYS on if I'm honest. Much more fun using it, because it makes you think! You can't just stand still and zoom, you are the zoom!

Anyone using a Yongnuo YN460-II with their D3100? I'm being a numpty or I'm actually having trouble setting it up!

I've recently bought the 35mm and really like it. It's a massive low light improvement over the kit lens and you can get some very good shallow DOF shots it that's your thing. I wouldn't go for the first one as there is no autofocus with it in the D3100.

I've recently bought the 35mm and really like it. It's a massive low light improvement over the kit lens and you can get some very good shallow DOF shots it that's your thing. I wouldn't go for the first one as there is no autofocus with it in the D3100.

This is really what I'm looking for, any example pics of the lens in action?

decided its finally time to start using my D3100, which has largely been used as a point and shoot by the wife due to me being insanely busy at work.

I was wondering if there are some recommended viewing for youtube, as I really do lack all knowledge, and do find it easier to watch and learn :)

Colin44 said:
This is really what I'm looking for, any example pics of the lens in action?

This was taken at the Imperial War museum - ok far from perfect but there was literally zero light so had to lean on a wall..hopefully it gives an idea of low light performance

last smoke ? by damianmkv, on Flickr

Hi everyone, I to have a D3100, my first DSLR was a Nikon D60 which was great, had it for about 4yrs and swap it in November, getting to grip with the new features but absoulutely love it. I have the kit lens 18-55mm and 55-300mm which I used with the D60. Just reading the first two pages of this thread has alreadly help me with some setting so I'm in (that if you will have me):help:

I've not had experience with that lens however one I have used a lot and is amazing value for money (given the performance on offer) is the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens. Definitely give it some thought. (y)

Twice the price though :) Or should I say :(

Twice the price though :) Or should I say :(

It can be had for less if patient....they can also be picked up in the classifieds on TP.

My view is that it is an investment and the 70-300mm will outgrow the D3100 if you were to move up the chain...it's surprisingly good on full-frame too (I used one on a D700). :)

Can someone tell me if it is possible to connect thr D3100 directly to a tablet in order to view images.

Thanks,
Al

Can someone tell me if it is possible to connect thr D3100 directly to a tablet in order to view images.

Thanks,
Al

The only way I could image is if your tablet has an HDMI port, however I'm not sure if this would actually work with the mini-HDMI output direct from the camera?

I'm just about to buy 3100 body, for £200 refurbished
http://www.parkcameras.com/23500/Nikon-D3100-Body---Refurbished-.html

anyone used this company before seems pretty cheap?
Also if I go this route what lens would you get first for general use? got my eye on the 55-200 mm nikon lens, but thought a i might need something smaller for portraits
But though this one might be good for dual use.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-Asph...D4LC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351202741&sr=8-2
I'm most interested in taking wildlife photos.
Thanks in advance for your views.

Back