Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Perry - if all you are doing is putting the exposure meter in the middle manually, then AP (Apeture Priority) will do that for you - faster!

Manual I use if I have challenging light and slow moving subjects.

Oh - and shoot RAW - gives you more lattitude to process later - if you have software

Perry - if all you are doing is putting the exposure meter in the middle manually, then AP (Apeture Priority) will do that for you - faster!

Manual I use if I have challenging light and slow moving subjects.

Oh - and shoot RAW - gives you more lattitude to process later - if you have software

Thanks again for the advice

He should have got ViewNX in the box. If not, it's a free download anyway. Also, there's a beta version of Capture on the official Nikon UK site as well. All bases covered!

He should have got ViewNX in the box. If not, it's a free download anyway. Also, there's a beta version of Capture on the official Nikon UK site as well. All bases covered!

I use Lightroom and Photoshop - still getting use to these as well

View attachment 14192

This is one I took in the garden - nice sunny day - makes it so much easier to take pictures. Really pleased with the D3100, I have gone full circle as started with a D50 then switched to a Cannon 30D and now back to Nikon - much prefer the the Nikon.

Last edited:
Never tried fireworks photography before - but they seem pretty good to me

Just out of interest what sort of settings does everyone use in the menu - I looked at Ken Rockwell and his recommendations and got my mind thinking.

Just out of interest what sort of settings does everyone use in the menu - I looked at Ken Rockwell and his recommendations and got my mind thinking.

What do you mean? There are quite a few settings you can change that will depend on the type of photographs you want...

Hi Perry
your settings will change depending on what you shoot, but looking down his list of options and commenting on some...

Playback options - I messed with these once when setting up the camera and haven't gone back. I look at the image and the histogram when reviewing a picture and never change them

Shooting Menu
Never touch picture controls - I shoot RAW and process in LR
Image Quality - See above - but IF I shoot JPEG I do highest quality
White Balance - I change the settings in camera but again shoot RAW so no need
Auto Iso - rarely use this. If you ever shoot manual note that Auto ISO will STILL work and the cameras meter will affect exposure!
AF Mode - I usually shoot single point, focus and recompose - that way I get the best results (I think) but I dont shoot a lot of moving things

Setup Menu
Agree about format card
AutoInfoDisplay - agree
Image Comment - it just puts my name in as I recall
Beep - on - I find it useful to know I got focus
Finlenumber sequence - mine is Off - my workflow puts files from a card in a separate directory so I dont care about this

Buttons
I use FN to be ISO - I change ISO dynamically more than I do White Balance

Main thing though is play with the options and see what matters for you.

Thanks for the run down - and you have made perfect sense, cheers for the reply.

Rule number one is ken rockwell is an idiot. Anyone who tells you to shoot jpeg yet alone small jpeg shouldnt be listened to

^^ lols ^^ why's that then? Anyone who only believes RAW is the be all and end all is an idiot too. Jpeg has its uses and of course its limitations aswell, but many people shoot Jpeg and are doing just fine with it. Could you look at flickr etc and tell whether it was shot in RAW or Jpeg? No. Most sports togs use Jpeg for the convenience and speed.

BTW I shoot RAW the majority of the time, but do employ jpeg for my boxing work.

^^ lols ^^ why's that then? Anyone who only believes RAW is the be all and end all is an idiot too. Jpeg has its uses and of course its limitations aswell, but many people shoot Jpeg and are doing just fine with it. Could you look at flickr etc and tell whether it was shot in RAW or Jpeg? No. Most sports togs use Jpeg for the convenience and speed.

BTW I shoot RAW the majority of the time, but do employ jpeg for my boxing work.

I never said that jpeg doesnt have its place as it does... although they are very few and far between. But ken says all you need is a small jpeg which is bloody daft. Ok if for some reason you want to shoot jpeg then do so but for god sake shoot fullsize unless ya takin pics for ebay.

And your comment about flickr is a lil daft as the benefits of raw are for processing amd printing. If your uploading a picture to flicker itl upload an 8bit compressed jpeg regardless of that you originally upload.

It's not really daft, it's true. A jpeg image will print just aswell as a raw shot. And it will edit pretty well too.

Not aure why you say they're few and far between, a jpeg will be just fine for 90% of images.

Back