NIKON D4 announced

The reality is, that D3s owners are more likely to change over than most think. It's only likely to cost about £1800 to swop.
For that we get a new body under warranty that is updated. A few improvements also.
In the real scheme of photography equpment, £1800 isn't a huge amount. Whenever new kit is announced, you always get people slagging off the manufacturers for not doing this, or doing that.
No such thing as the perfect bit of kit that everyone will like. That's life. You can say that about anything.
But, the D4 will sell, because it will be an excellent piece of engineering and do it's job reliably.
Will I buy one? probably. I'll enjoy discovering the new features, just as I did with the D3s

Depends how long they keep me waiting though. Not good at waiting. :LOL:

Kev.

kevshore said:
The reality is, that D3s owners are more likely to change over than most think. It's only likely to cost about £1800 to swop.
For that we get a new body under warranty that is updated. A few improvements also.
In the real scheme of photography equpment, £1800 isn't a huge amount. Whenever new kit is announced, you always get people slagging off the manufacturers for not doing this, or doing that.
No such thing as the perfect bit of kit that everyone will like. That's life. You can say that about anything.
But, the D4 will sell, because it will be an excellent piece of engineering and do it's job reliably.
Will I buy one? probably. I'll enjoy discovering the new features, just as I did with the D3s

Depends how long they keep me waiting though. Not good at waiting. :LOL:

Kev.

About five weeks at current estimate. It'll be on the shelves between 14-16 Feb.

Btw, I'd say that your £1800 uplift is a bit optimistic. More like £2000-2300 if your D3s is in excellent nick and you aren't part exchanging.

What do people think of the different card slots, I mean CF x2 makes sense and 2 x XQD makes sense but what is the rationale behind one of each other than just use one or the other?

A new format has to be introduced in some way, two XQD card slots and you alienate the existing user base, one of each and you introduce users to the benefits should the user wish to go down that route. Given the speed advantages I think Pro's, especially sports photographers, will take up the option. If you're paying that much for a camera the memory cards are not that much of an investment and are usually a lot cheaper when claiming back Tax too. ;)

Plus, if anyone wants the backup or overflow options of the 2nd card slot they will have to invest. :shrug: :LOL:

his D3s wouldn't lock on in low light in confusing backgrounds.

His D3s wouldn't focus on Roger Galbraith with a 1D MK III in his hands :D

Last edited:
Improve the af? Really? Great if it is but the last generation of Nikon pro gear I've never heard anyone complain about it!

The problem everyone is talking about is just what else could have been added to a state of the art dslr? What did you all imagine it could have been?

The only ever so slight thing for me would have been 18mp so the dx mode gave me 12mp not 10... But that's not really a problem.

In my book the best just got better and I think if I ever got my hands on it I'd find even more than the spec sheet tells me...

Can all you guys with a D3s just order a D4 please?

Then saturate the market with secondhand D3s`s............(y)

About five weeks at current estimate. It'll be on the shelves between 14-16 Feb.

Btw, I'd say that your £1800 uplift is a bit optimistic. More like £2000-2300 if your D3s is in excellent nick and you aren't part exchanging.

Already got someone interested at £3k. But even if it dropped by £200, it's still not bad. Not likey to drop to £2500 just because a new model is out. Maybe in a few months as the D4 price drops, but not immediately.

Improve the af? Really? Great if it is but the last generation of Nikon pro gear I've never heard anyone complain about it!

The problem everyone is talking about is just what else could have been added to a state of the art dslr? What did you all imagine it could have been?

The only ever so slight thing for me would have been 18mp so the dx mode gave me 12mp not 10... But that's not really a problem.

In my book the best just got better and I think if I ever got my hands on it I'd find even more than the spec sheet tells me...

You'd need about 26 MP for the DX mode to give 12MP.
I think there were always going to be complaints because the D3 was such a big jump - there was no way Nikon could match that so disappointment was inevitable for those who wanted that big a change.

I'm waiting till a FF comes out that's somewhere between the D700 and D7000 in size (smaller would be better, but I'm not expecting it) to tempt me. Only got 1 or two lenses left that I actually want, and once that body appears, I'm probably done. Not in any rush though, my current kit does just fine :)

What do people think of the different card slots, I mean CF x2 makes sense and 2 x XQD makes sense but what is the rationale behind one of each other than just use one or the other?

If they had put two CF cards in, they'd have missed out on the new technology. Putting in 2x XQD would have been too risky especially as the cards aren't even out yet, meaning there would be a good chance some shooters wouldn't get their hands on cards to put in the new camera.

They were in a tricky situation and going with dual formats, although slightly annoying, at least prepares us for the next camera (D4s?), which will no doubt only have XQD slots :)

...just what else could have been added to a state of the art dslr? ...

In body stabilisation:D

Radical but with the right campaign it's an easy way to be no1. I'd add it to the entire range although I may focus more on first time buyers of entry level DSLR's for that initial buy in.

Would have negligible affect on VR lens sales and you could develop a new strategy there anyway.

Probably way out of my price range but it sure looks nice. Surprised that the pixel count is less than 18mpx though

3914bd59-ba6f-4e8b-a086-9afce6c7f725.jpg

http://www.photographymonthly.com/N...on-unveils-new-D4-as-flagship-for-D-SLR-users

Not sure your fully grasping the benefits of the movie mode on the DSLR. Can your camcorder use interchangeable lenses? Can you dynamically adjust the DoF on it? Manually adjust the focus on the fly? The quality of output/optics on a pro level slr with pro level lenses will blow any non-pro video solution out of the water.

Plus, any pro video user is likely to combine short clips in post rather than record a single 8 hour stretch of scene.

I'm getting the D4 for its video benefits also.

My Panasonic camcorder can go up to a digital 700x magnification eliminating the need to change lenses and as for picture quality one of the toughest tests is indoors under artificial light. I would challange any Duel mode DSLR to produce as good as this without adding photograpic lighting. Also note the sound quality (Dolby sound). This clip was uploaded onto youtube at their lowest reproduction quality as well.
Used 32 gig class 4 SDHC card now is recommended class 6 and above

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUnEn9wOq0&feature=related.

On top of that My camcorder can easily fit into a trouser pocket which can't be done with the D4

dsc6869800x600.jpg

Picture showing battery pack at the back attached, total length 6 inches. Note stills on this camcorder 14meg pix

As for manual adjustment on the fly check out a button on the top edge of the camera

AS for cost, the latest version is well under £1000

Realspeed

Last edited:
On top of that My camcorder can easily fit into a trouser pocket which can't be done with the D4
My Panasonic TZ3 compact camera can fit in my trouser pocket but I still have a DSLR.

The point you are missing is that DSLRs are used professionally as video cameras. Whole episodes of House (for example) have been shot on 5D2s. They are used as cheap video cameras by many. Just because you don't see the need for it, doesn't mean others don't. After all, if we were all purists, why have anything other than M on the control dial?

I'm a little disappointed that the rumoured Thunderbolt connectivity didn't materialise... still, looking on the bright side, it'll save me from having to fork out for a new Macbook too!

Movie mode arguments remind me of the Film vs Digital ones.

I always thought of those against digital as people resistant to change/ progress/ innovation or simply unable to comprehend a use for the technology either through an unwillingness/ ignorance or a lack of imagination:D

Better to appreciate and accept than waste energy fighting. There are some causes in life I'd be prepared to be the last man standing- movie mode would not be high on that list:LOL:

I'm a little disappointed that the rumoured Thunderbolt connectivity didn't materialise... still, looking on the bright side, it'll save me from having to fork out for a new Macbook too!

Good point- had forgotten all about that. Maybe legal wranglings over licence agreements or something- I vaguely recall some Apple/Intel issues when the technology was emerging- someone upset someone anyway:LOL:

Movie mode arguments remind me of the Film vs Digital ones.

I always thought of those against digital as people resistant to change/ progress/ innovation or simply unable to comprehend a use for the technology either through an unwillingness/ ignorance or a lack of imagination:D

Better to appreciate and accept than waste energy fighting. There are some causes in life I'd be prepared to be the last man standing- movie mode would not be high on that list:LOL:

Guess your right this is a debate that could go on for ever. For me there is only one route and that is keeping the two modes seperate, but I can understand where those using duel mode cameras are comming from. The only thing is owners of say the Canon 7D who I have spoken to just don't use the movie mode or so rarely its just not worth having on a camera

Realspeed

Well I for one am really looking forward to the video mode, I can't wait to start mixing my weddings and shoots up with video and photos.

the D4, unless I come in to a large amount of cash is out of my reach though so maybe it'll be the D800 if that ever gets released :D

realspeed said:
My Panasonic camcorder can go up to a digital 700x magnification eliminating the need to change lenses and as for picture quality one of the toughest tests is indoors under artificial light. I would challange any Duel mode DSLR to produce as good as this without adding photograpic lighting. Also note the sound quality (Dolby sound). This clip was uploaded onto youtube at their lowest reproduction quality as well.

Link

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/dsc6871800x600.jpg/

Picture showing battery pack at the back attached, total length 6 inches. Note stills on this camcorder 14meg pix

As for manual adjustment on the fly check out a button on the top edge of the camera

Realspeed

I think your last post nails it; you're referring to selection criteria for home market I.e how small is it, how light is it, how affordable is it and how much 'zoom' you can get out of it. This is all fine of course but it's not the criteria used by the people that would likely be using the D4 as a professional video tool, where optical quality, aperture control and the like is essential. If they want a camcorder they'll buy one but that's not to be confused with a high end video enabled DSLR.

Even if I wasn't a pro, I still would use a DLSR for video and photos, the ability to switch from one to the other instantly while using it at parties etc, moments are lost in the time it takes to take camcorder out and turn it on. :)

desantnik said:

True but if you actually read up on the AF enhancements they sound pretty impressive...certainly for a professional sports photographer.

True but if you actually read up on the AF enhancements they sound pretty impressive...certainly for a professional sports photographer.

I went to see what he (Andy Rouse) said:

sometimes it (D3S) cannot immediately pick up fast moving subjects in low light conditions against confusing backgrounds.

I'm no birder so maybe I just fail to understand how he is working but I don't get what he's trying to describe?

Maybe its because all of my subjects are rather bigger in the frame than his?

I've come across a few things on TP where it seems wildlife photography is quite different to motorsport.

Sometimes, you see the subject, lets say a sparrowhawk, quite a way off. You need to lock onto it and keep locked on until it comes to within a reasonable distance and is large enough in the frame. Due to the camouflage of these birds against a woodland background, the AF can struggle to lock on and keep on the subject.

Prime example is when i`m shooting peregrines and they fly low with the grey limestone as a backdrop. The speed of the bird against a background that is a similar colour proves somewhat difficult.

I think* that is what he means.

OutLore said:
Quite possibly - I didn't see it, and as it's not directly aimed at anyone and is in no way derogatory, I would imagine the fact that it's in the public domain is irrelevant.

If you're worried about it, report the post to the mods and they'll fix it if they think it warrants it (y)

Or you could just edit it yourself and stop putting words in my mouth.

very very disapointed with the spec and price of this camera.
my two little D700,s will be staying with me for a while yet.
no need for a video recording device , like (wtf) is going in here.
I am a photographer and want a top of the range SLR.

good luck nikon with this one lol.

r1andy said:
my two little D700,s will be staying with me for a while yet.
no need for a video recording device , like (wtf) is going in here.

Are you being serious with his post?

Which is what you've got in the D4. :thinking:

Link

dsc6869800x600.jpg

Realspeed

your post make no sense at all,are you carrying this and a SLR around thats even more stuff than a camera with video.

unless you are saying people buy a camera just for the video :thinking:

sometimes it (D3S) cannot immediately pick up fast moving subjects in low light conditions against confusing backgrounds.

I'm no birder so maybe I just fail to understand how he is working but I don't get what he's trying to describe?

I've come across a few things on TP where it seems wildlife photography is quite different to motorsport.

I think I was having the same problem as Andy Rouse, with my D3S. I shoot sport mainly rugby. On the occasion where I have shot a game under flootlight I to have noticed a focusing problem with the D3S, in fact my D3S has just been returned from Nikon service hopefully fixed for this reason, I have used a number of Nikon digital cameras over the years and have never had this problem with any other dslr.

EDIT: Forgot to mention on the occasion where I was having problem with the D3S, I would change to my D300S and have no problems what so ever.

Last edited:
Very serious

R u trying to tell me to jump from the image quality of a D700 to a D7000 is worth an extra £3000.

For an extra 3k I was expecting a bit more than this

It's all about the video with this d4 and it's not for me at this money.

Very serious

R u trying to tell me to jump from the image quality of a D700 to a D7000 is worth an extra £3000.

I have read this three times now and still don`t know what you mean..............:shrug:

As fracster has pointed out it is very easy to confuse the autofocus on subjects in low light especially fast moving wildlife such as birds in flight shot against similar tones in the background. He may also be talking about shooting in Auto Area AF which confuses the camera even further. 3d tracking on subjects like this from my experience is pretty much a waste of time, perhaps the tweeking he talks about may help this but my gut feeling it has been tweaked for sports photographers especially after the mention of a new face recognition. Would have been fantastic to see some sort of self learning autofocus that adapted to each photographers style.

Back