Nikon D4 FX mode showing crop

Edit My Images
No
I'm not too sure how to explain this one. I have an FX lens on my D4 and when I look through the viewfinder it has blacked out the left and right side of the frame as if it's in a crop mode.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have turned off auto crop mode even though I have an fx lens attached.

Despite the bars showing up in the viewfinder, when I do actually take a photo it is full frame so its not actually affecting the picture, just the viewfinder.

I've tried searching on google but no answers.

2s15828.jpg

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciatied!

Looks like a 5x4 aspect ratio to me. I know in the D800 and D810 you can toggle through 3-4 aspect ratios usually via the fn button or such like.

Maybe you went from FX to crop and then to 5x4 thinking you should be back to FX again???

Perhaps a reset of settings may take you back to where you want. Maybe do a backup to a memory card first just in case it isn’t so you don’t have to set everything to your preferences again :)

I will check the aspect ratio thing on my D4 if the OP ever replies to this thread.

I’m not familiar with the D4, is it possibly aspect ratio?

Thanks for the suggestion I don’t think that’s it as it set to FX image area.

Looks like a 5x4 aspect ratio to me. I know in the D800 and D810 you can toggle through 3-4 aspect ratios usually via the fn button or such like.

Yes I did have that previously set, but have since changed it to virtual horizon viewfinder

Maybe you went from FX to crop and then to 5x4 thinking you should be back to FX again???

Sadly not, wish it was that simple

Perhaps a reset of settings may take you back to where you want. Maybe do a backup to a memory card first just in case it isn’t so you don’t have to set everything to your preferences again :)

Yeah did try this, haven’t tried reloading camera firmware yet which I think I will try tomorrow.

I will check the aspect ratio thing on my D4 if the OP ever replies to this thread.

That would be much appreciated if you ever get the chance.

Back