Nikon D40, D40x, D60 or D80 as a first DSLR?

Name
Steve.
Edit My Images
Yes
New to DSLR and a beginner really to learned photography, I last week bought a new unused D2HS with 18 - 70 DX and 70 - 300 VR lenses. Anyway, the D2HS is quite a machine and I think will take quite a time to get used to and having just read what Ken Rockwell said about the D40 I'm thinking perhaps I should buy one of these (used) to learn on. Maybe if I use one of these for a short time my understanding of the D2HS will be better. What do you think? Or should I get the D40x or D60? Would the D80 defeat the object of the excercise if you know what I mean? Thanks in advance.

so why cant you learn on a d2hs? sesitivity ( iso ) aperture and shutter .only three things to think about. or go really mad and use it in p mode to start with.:)

You can 'learn' on anything. You've got the D2HS so it'll be fine to 'learn' with.

If you must take anything from Ken Rockwell to heart - make it this. ;)

Get 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson and stick with the D2HS. It will do far more than a D40 will but there is no need to use it all right from the start.

Reading Ken is an art in itself.
You can learn a fair bit to be fair, but there's usually a slant and there's a fair bit of contradiction.
He'll say somewhere that the only camera you need is the one you have, but you're worried that you need a D40 as he raves about it so much.
Your D2HS does everything a D40 does and if you end up not using some of the features and buttons, who cares?
I wouldn't spend any more money, you'll be more than fine with what you've got there (y)
If you want to spend some money, I'd recommend looking for a flash :)

Your 'learning experience' with a D40 ... would last about a week :|! At least, it would be about that long before you had enough of a grip on the basics to go and 'wrestle with' something with more buttons.

I was about to say, "Don't waste your money", but as a bit of a D40 fan myself, I can't really bring myself to :p - they're well worth what they cost!

So, I agree with Foggy - spend £9.75 (Amazon) on "Understanding Exposure" and you'll soon know all you need to know to get really stuck into the PAS and even M modes on your D2HS.

Good luck (y)!

I found that I overexposed more when using a D40 on Aperture priority than when I used D90 on Aperture priority. I would think getting to know your main camera would be best, I do not think you will get any benefit from using a D40 first then changing over.

If I had a D2HS I wouldn't be using my D40...:LOL:

Isn't that down to the different sensors rather than the user?

Yes, thats my point, if he uses the D40 to learn and then swap over to D2HS you will get different results from same settings.

No, I was agreeing with you.

The infinitesimally small differences between the way some sensors (might) operate is totally irrelevant to the learning process - other than you need to know that they do and learn how to deal with it!

I learnt on a D200. Having ready access to all the controls means that you are more likely to use them and as such more likely to learn what they do, why they do it and why you would want to do that. There is absolutely no point in getting a simpler camera which makes changing settings more difficult. It is actually easier to use a D2HS than a D40 !! Just get out and practice!

If you want to see HOW a control changes the image then USE it and see. If you want to know about depth of field just take the same shot from f1.8 right up to f30+ then LOOK at the images. Do the same with ISO and shutter speed (on a moving target such as a running tap). This is how I learnt.

Then take your camera out to different locations and use the knowledge that you have gained. Practice locking exposure and taking pictures INTO the sun and in the other direction. Try taking waterfall pictures etc etc etc. Each time noting the control positions and settings.

Do you have CS3/4 or PSE ?? If so install my script writer scripts and setup a border with the ISO settings then batch edit your pictures into another folder. You can then view each picture in detail WITH the settings.

This is how to learn photography, get the basics and add to them....

Thanks everyone. Your replies are much appreciated. I will learn on the D2HS now. When I have some experience and knowledge of photography and the D2HS I think what I may do is get a D40 or something to carry about with me mainly due to its smaller size. Of the D40, D40x and D60 which is the best?

Thanks everyone. Your replies are much appreciated. I will learn on the D2HS now. When I have some experience and knowledge of photography and the D2HS I think what I may do is get a D40 or something to carry about with me mainly due to its smaller size. Of the D40, D40x and D60 which is the best?

The order you quoted them basically. The 40x and 60 are virtually identical with the 40 being 6mp

Of the D40, D40x and D60 which is the best?

They are all extremely capable; if you plan on doing larger prints go for the larger sensor. :) The D40 is more than capable of excellent pictures and prints.

I'm a DSLR beginner, purchasing my first about 2 months ago. Being a bit of a gadget-fan I ended up with the D90 which in terms of learning the basics is far from a minimum entry point.

But I have to say after using it that it has some nice features even for beginners
- I really like the top panel LCD which helps check exposure/mode settings
- The viewfinder is pretty decent (for a APS-C or smaller camera)
- The "hard" buttons on the camera make it easier to experiment without delving into the menus (indeed you wish for more).
- the support for fast flash sync (with an external flash unit) for fill in bright sunlight with narrow DOF
- the wireless flash capability

I think it's these usability features more than any debate on raw picture quality that I see as a big plus.. although obviously better low light helps somewhat

My initial intent had been to spend approx 500. I ended up blowing 680 on the d90+18-105 - so a fair bit more, but not too excessive, and I think this camera could last a long time for me...

I started with a D40x and within a couple of months was looking around for a D200 which I bought not long after. You'll be fine starting out with a D2HS (and that book by Peterson is VERY good). Just go out an USE your camera - that's what it's for :LOL:

Also, the D40, D40x & D60 don't have a focus motor so your lens choice is very limited (and costly)

As soon as I saw the title, I thought to myself, "Ken Rockwell!"

Just get the D40 ;)

lol

But seriously, you'll be fine with that D2HS. Stick with that, and if you want something smaller then consider a D40, or even a simple point and shoot.

I will use the D2HS. I do like the idea of using the lenses I have on a smaller more portable camera. I'll have to go and look at a D40 somewhere. If I buy one I will carry it with me often and I wouldn't do that with the D2HS. Why is the newer D60 inferior to the D40? Does the D40 really take better pics than the D40x?

Also, the D40, D40x & D60 don't have a focus motor so your lens choice is very limited (and costly)
Only if you are incapable of looking through the viewfinder and focusing manually.

Why is the newer D60 inferior to the D40? Does the D40 really take better pics than the D40x?

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from? :shrug:

They are all extremely capable; if you plan on doing larger prints go for the larger sensor. :) The D40 is more than capable of excellent pictures and prints.

My response is still the same.

SDB123 wrote. 'I'm not sure where you are getting your information from?'

Ken Rockwell is one of them. Nobody seems to rave about the D60 at all.

Theres not much between the 60 and 40 so people tended to go for the 40 just to save a little bit of money

What Digital Camera only gave the D60 3 out of 5 Stars.

:|

Seriously, get people's opinions rather than going by reviews by mags. The D60 is a very good camera (just as the D40/D40x are), has a very nice sensor and the pictures it can produce are excellent.

:shrug:

Seriously, get people's opinions rather than going by reviews by mags. The D60 is a very good camera (just as the D40/D40x are), has a very nice sensor and the pictures it can produce are excellent.

The D60 is a cracking camera. Use mine along side with a D700 and can't fault its performance:)

From what you all say I'd be happy with any one of them then as they are all good. How would the picture quality compare to a D200 on these cameras? I ask as I have just seen a mint one for sale. Sorry for asking so many questions.

The D80 and D200 shared the same sensor IIRC. Picture quality may be better than the smaller offerings however the D200 is not a small camera by any means.

Yes they do share the same sensor. AFAIK it's also in the D60, they are the same resolution anyway. My mates D60 performs slightly better at ISO1600 than my D80, I think that's down to newer processing.

The D200 would be defeating the object I guess as the whole point of this is to have a small camera with excellent IQ though the D200 is a lot smaller than the D2HS.

And that is the truth! I have a D60 myself and truly love it ;)

Back