Nikon D40 Flash

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Help, mine is stuck turned on! i cant do anything to turn it off, apart from use auto or sports mode (NO THANKS):razz:

Any ideas?

yes, it fires even when it is down, and that just changes flash mode, so slow, red eye, normal, you know.

Daniel

You should get a "no flash" option - icon of a flash with the circle and diagonal "no" bit which should force the flash off. See page 35 of the manual

But if it fires even when down, it sounds like the switch detecting whether the flash is up or not is faulty / broken.

When the flash is down, do you still get all the options dialling round the wheel?

there isna a no flash option in P, A, S, or M cause they asume that if you put the flash up then u want it, and probably something wrong but i dont have the time to send it off to get it fixed, i need it!

Daniel

there isna a no flash option in P, A, S, or M cause they asume that if you put the flash up then u want it, and probably something wrong but i dont have the time to send it off to get it fixed, i need it!

Daniel

Your the third person to ask this question this week, which suggests to me that Nikon may need to have a re-think about how they tackle this in the instruction manual :thinking:.

Anyway, when the camera is functioning properly; there is a "no flash" option in PASM modes, but it's possibly not where you'd expect it to be :naughty:.

Click on the "Info" buton to bring up the grey and black menu on the rear LCD screen. By clicking on the bottom button of the four on the left hand rear of the camera, you can get certain areas of that menu to be highlighted in yellow. Click around until you are on the bottom line and then click over the left hand side, where you see the different flash option symbols. One of those symbols is a lightning bolt with a prohibited sign over it - select this and your flash will not pop up ever again, unless you click the button on the side of the flash casing.

(Edit: Just read your second post again and don't really understand whether you really mean that the flash is firing off when it is locked down, or whether you meant something else :shrug:!? Either way, it shouldn't do that if you follow the steps above).

Back