Nikon D5200 Focus Confirmation

Edit My Images
No
On a D5100 (very) tiny focus confirmation lights glow for a nano second when focus is confirmed. Can someone tell me if this is the same with the D5200?
Maybe someone who has owned both can tell me if there is a real difference?

Just to clarify - on the D5200 are the confirmation lights larger/do they stay on longer?

And have a nice day folks :)

Thanks,
Al

Last edited:
im sure it is ive just got a d7100 and that has 2 arrows and a little circle when focused

Are you talking about the focus confirmation light in the view finder (bottom left)? It should light and remain lit while you are half holding the shutter button provided the camera has found focus. If if does not illuminate or flickers it is likely that focus is not confirmed;
View attachment 2940

You're probably looking at the focus points, and not the confirmation dot. The confirmation dot should stay illuminated once in focus.

I prefer to use single point focus and, with my old D5100 I found the focus point 'dot' only lit for a split second. Sometimes too quick for me to see what it had focussed on!

It's an old age thing I think ;)

Al

I don't think any of the cameras keep the focus point illuminated for focus confirmation. If you use single point, then it should focus on wherever you placed the active point; that's kind of the idea behind it...

Just checked on my nikon, and the green focus dot stays on to confirm that it has achieved focus. So long as you have your finger on the shutter release.

I don't think any of the cameras keep the focus point illuminated for focus confirmation. If you use single point, then it should focus on wherever you placed the active point; that's kind of the idea behind it...

The problem I have is when focussing on something particularly small or narrow. The focus point lights up and goes out so quickly that sometimes I'm unsure that it hit the right spot if you get me.

AL

Back