Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Hi, I need a self timer remote thing for the D600 so that I can try my hand at long exposure star trails and so on, I believe that it can only go to 30s in-camera. Can anybody point me in the right direction, my searches on the 'bay and amazon have proven fruitless as yet.

Also, are there any decent third party grips out yet or is it still a little early for them?

Cheers
Aled

I'm presuming it is identical to the D7000. You can set it to bulb in camera, one shutter press to start, one to stop, time it elsewhere (on a phone or a watch). That way you can use nikons cheapie IR remote - ML L3. I've never had a problem doing long exposures this way, I just use the stopwatch on my phone (y)

To be honest I've never seen one with its own timer function - just ones that can be locked open to recreate the bulb setting in camera. Perhaps someone else has seen them (y)

I've used a cheap ML3 clone and that works well. Range isn't huge but more than enough and cost me about £7

Jinxy said:
I've used a cheap ML3 clone and that works well. Range isn't huge but more than enough and cost me about £7

Clone or genuine, there isn't much difference in price to be fair. I've got the genuine one, I think I paid just over £10 for it from Argos.

Aha! I have one of those, but didn't realise I could use it in bulb mode to open and then close the shutter. I used to use a timer remote on the D300 but can't find one for the D600.

Thanks guys.

Aled

Last edited:
I've just noticed that Amazon have these at an incredible price, currently £1360. Does anyone know if htis is a UK camera or will it be a grey import? It seems too good to be true, so I'm wary.

Kev

Got my D600 on Friday, used it on Sunday in low light with 24-70 f2.8 and it coped really well, also used it with 80-200mm F2.8 also awesome quality and focus speed at 4pm... Getting really dark....
Yesterday I went out and shot a grew flood shots when I looked at them last night I already have a huge dust spot to left... Not opened it up yet to see if it is dust or oil.... I thought I was going to miss this issue as I have just sold my D7000 because of major soft focusing issues...

Ah well, time to get out the butterfly.. ,kneels down praying for dust not oil..

Jez, try the in camera sensor clean first off, I find that it clears most dust without doing anything else. In fact I've never cleaned a sensor in my life, I just have the camera do it every time I switch it on.

Cheers
Aled

I agree point the camera downwards and run the self clean a few time, did the trick for me

I will try that when I get in, I didn't know you had to tell the camera to clean the sensor, my other cameras did a sonic clean on power up..

Does CS5 cope with processing files from the D600?

JezSutton said:
I will try that when I get in, I didn't know you had to tell the camera to clean the sensor, my other cameras did a sonic clean on power up..

It does Jez, but I think that you need to turn that feature on in the menus for it to happen, i don't think it's switched on as a default.

Aled

It does it at power up if its set in the menu, but I just ran it a few times in quick succession and it got rid of all dust.

Kev said:
I've just noticed that Amazon have these at an incredible price, currently £1360. Does anyone know if htis is a UK camera or will it be a grey import? It seems too good to be true, so I'm wary.

Kev

Was that amazon marketplace? I've been watching the price on amazon lately and it's been sat on around £1470 for a few days from amazon direct.

I have just ordered a D600 and was looking at buying a 3rd party grip.

I have seen a Travor Battery Grip and iLion Battery Grip which are posted from the UK.

Are these any good ?? anyone tried them or recommend others ??

I have had a meike battery grip for my D90 and it was excellent but the only meike one I found the seller had dodgy feedback :shrug:

I was looking at this iLion one HERE

Also reading description on the ILion grip it says it takes ONE battery. My D90 grip took two batteries and that was one of the benefits of the grip :thinking:

Last edited:

Thank you, the UK one looks good and I have used Meike before which was excellent (y)

So I read that the grips take one battery were my D90 grip took two ? Does this mean the battery life is the same as just having the battery in the camera :thinking:

Yeah thanks.....

So regarding my question about the grip I have found out that one battery stays in the camera the other in the grip BUT how do you charge them ? Do you have to remove the grip to charge the battery in the camera every time.... I hope not :cautious:

Yeah thanks.....

So regarding my question about the grip I have found out that one battery stays in the camera the other in the grip BUT how do you charge them ? Do you have to remove the grip to charge the battery in the camera every time.... I hope not :cautious:
Yes, but you can set the camera to use the one in the grip first so you may not actually use the one in the body

Was that amazon marketplace? I've been watching the price on amazon lately and it's been sat on around £1470 for a few days from amazon direct.

Yes it was, I notice that the offer has now disappeared. Maybe it was too good to be true and Amazon pulled it, who knows?

Kev

Kev said:
Yes it was, I notice that the offer has now disappeared. Maybe it was too good to be true and Amazon pulled it, who knows?

Kev

Bugger, shame I missed it or I'd have pulled the trigger. I've got about £100 in vouchers on amazon to use up.

Yes, but you can set the camera to use the one in the grip first so you may not actually use the one in the body

Ahhh right..... seems a worse set-up than the D90 where the grip took over completely and you put both batteries in it. That way you never had to remove the grip once attached. So why do it that way, what is the advantage :thinking:

Ahhh right..... seems a worse set-up than the D90 where the grip took over completely and you put both batteries in it. That way you never had to remove the grip once attached. So why do it that way, what is the advantage :thinking:
Not a clue, the D700 is the same where you can choose between the EN-EL4 in the grip (for 8fps) or the EN-EL-3 in the body, not sure what the default setup is if you have 2 EL-EL3 in the D700

Folks I am wanting to get my first full frame camera and the d600 tickles my fancy since it at a great price I can afford.. Is it really a good camera can it perform well in low light.

Also how good is it to take photos of my 2 year old daughter while in the field on our walk with the dog

I had an OMD EM5 before the D600 and the low light capabilities of the Nikon are insanely good. I've got the kit 24-85 and the 50 1.8mm G lens and the photos I've taken indoors with no flash because of the light gathering ability of the FF sensor make me not regret moving at all.

Jinxy said:
I had an OMD EM5 before the D600 and the low light capabilities of the Nikon are insanely good. I've got the kit 24-85 and the 50 1.8mm G lens and the photos I've taken indoors with no flash because of the light gathering ability of the FF sensor make me not regret moving at all.

Perfect as it a omd I am possibly moving away from. I guess the d600 easily out perform it.

The only advantages the OMD has as far as I'm concerned is the in body stabilisation, size and AF noise being not intruding in video on the in body mic.

Jinxy said:
The only advantages the OMD has as far as I'm concerned is the in body stabilisation, size and AF noise being not intruding in video on the in body mic.

Not bothered about those. I want be able takes picture with a lot more keepers while walking with the little one today I could not get any keepers of her pottering around he field with the dog.

rookies said:
Not bothered about those. I want be able takes picture with a lot more keepers while walking with the little one today I could not get any keepers of her pottering around he field with the dog.

Rather than splash out on a full frame camera, have you thought about the settings you are using in your OMD? For photos of moving subject you'll need some kind of continuous AF. Try using the centre focus point and setting your camera up with continuous AF and a high shutter speed (at least 1/250th if your daughter and /or the dog are moving).

You should get excellent shots, in sharp focus, assuming the OMD has half decent continuous AF abilities. If they really are moving fast, like running, then a traditional DSLR (ie with a mirror) will probably keep up better as they use phase detect focussing, rather than contrast detect. However you've said they are just pottering so your OMD would definitely do the job fine.

Even an enthusiast level compact camera can take sharp shots of moving subjects in good light if set up correctly with the right technique, so it's well worth reading your manual and trying different settings.

The D600 is an awesome camera - I've had mine for a couple of months and it takes the cleanest and most detailed images I've ever seen - but it may be overkill for your needs.

Hope this helps!

daveb99 said:
Rather than splash out on a full frame camera, have you thought about the settings you are using in your OMD? For photos of moving subject you'll need some kind of continuous AF. Try using the centre focus point and setting your camera up with continuous AF and a high shutter speed (at least 1/250th if your daughter and /or the dog are moving).

You should get excellent shots, in sharp focus, assuming the OMD has half decent continuous AF abilities. If they really are moving fast, like running, then a traditional DSLR (ie with a mirror) will probably keep up better as they use phase detect focussing, rather than contrast detect. However you've said they are just pottering so your OMD would definitely do the job fine.

Even an enthusiast level compact camera can take sharp shots of moving subjects in good light if set up correctly with the right technique, so it's well worth reading your manual and trying different settings.

The D600 is an awesome camera - I've had mine for a couple of months and it takes the cleanest and most detailed images I've ever seen - but it may be overkill for your needs.

Hope this helps!

Nothing is over killed for me :) I like to have good images sharp clean etc. I've come from a dslr before and that why I am missing it I really have so think I am going back :)

Back