Nikon D700 menus

raider2727

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Am i alone or does anyone else have trouble trying to wade through the D700 menus.
I go through them adjust what i think might be cool, some 2 hours later once I have finished i cant remember what i changed or why or what the default was.
I have decided to clear everything, sit down tonight and go through each one and write down what was the default and what i changed it to and why.
I never realised i could spend 2 hours adjusting the camera before i even get to take a shot lol.

It's a downside to many digital cameras. Too much control is via menus and not enough via buttons and switches on the body.

However, if it is any consolation, you do get used to them with practice and eventually reach the stage where the logic of the layout of the menus is understood. At that point you no longer need to recall the exact keystrokes for everything sice you'll instictively what to do.

hahah...lol welcome to the wonderful world of menus and custom settings - I learned years ago to have a crib-sheet with all my custom-settings written-down...
Now that I shoot RAW exclusively, it's less of a drama... I just have to remember all my Photoshop custom settings instead...lol

Use the "My Memu" setting and put in anything you might need - I put Picture Controls, Auto ISO Control, and Virtual Horizon in mine.

"My menu" as puddleduck says is good - but you should also set up custom shooting menu banks and setting banks (say) A for landscapes B for portraits or whatever.

Yes, My menus seem a good place to keep the things i will need to change often, shooting banks are all new to me and i am trying to get my head around how to save the ideal settings for each.
I had a Canon 40D before this and the difference in menus is amazing, i am not use to Nikon terms or operations, so a complete learning curve.
At the end of the day i am really happy with early results and i am sure if this was too easy to use i would get bored quickly like i did with the 40d.

i started using my menue the other week
its great you can alter the list and programme a button to go straight to my menue

works brillian

so i have
iso
wb
flash control
battery
delet
picture control
etc.etc.

Thank you all, i have now set all my menu options and noted down what i have done.
next job will be setting up the my menus and banks which will simplify the finding of certain operations i need to change often and give me some easy access shooting modes.
Have to confess when i first brought the D700 i thought i had taken a step too far, however the more you use it and read the manual the simpler it gets,

My Menu is a great idea, but I don't understand why there are some options which can't be added into it. For example, setting the maximum sensitivity and minimum shutter speed for auto-ISO can't be added to My Menu, but you can add the option to turn it on/off as well as the option of setting the ISO value (which seems a bit pointless since it's got a dedicated button to the left of the pop-up flash).

The D700 has many and deep menus, but as stated in other posts putting what you want in 'MyMenu', or using the preset menu banks will help a lot.

It is also worth regularly reviewing which function buttons and their assigned functions you have. As you progress with the D700 new uses always seem to emerge.

Keep at it and the benefits will come.

Ed

My Menu is a great idea, but I don't understand why there are some options which can't be added into it. For example, setting the maximum sensitivity and minimum shutter speed for auto-ISO can't be added to My Menu, but you can add the option to turn it on/off as well as the option of setting the ISO value (which seems a bit pointless since it's got a dedicated button to the left of the pop-up flash).

it can be done

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=238704

Yeah, I've got mine in there, just add "ISO sensistivity settings" to My Menu, don't add On / Off directly.

Get to a base point of the settings you want, then back them up to an old CF Card, easy to restore them from that card in the future if you've messed up the menus too much. Also there's another neat thing to know is if you hold down the buttons with the 2 green dots it'll reset to standard settings ,iso, white balance etc etc (not menus)

Back