Nikon D7000 at Singapore Zoo.

Name
Lance
Edit My Images
No
2 months ago I purchased the D7000 as a crop sensor camera for long lens work and a back up for my D700. We recently went on a business trip/holiday to Singapore and this was an ideal time to try it out. I had the D700 slung over one shoulder with either the 16-35 f4 VR or the 24-70 f2.8 attached for short work, and over the other shoulder I had the D7000 with the 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII for long lens work.

Here are a few samples, most at high ISO like ISO3200 or 6400. Best to click on image to see full res.

ISO3200

original.jpg

ISO6400

original.jpg

ISO3200

original.jpg

ISO6400

original.jpg

ISO6400

original.jpg

ISO2200

original.jpg

Have you reduced noise at all? If not, they are great for 6400! Great pics regardless!

Really clear and crisp shots.

Why did you need to use such high iso settings?

John

hello and welcome lance, i think you used to be a pentax die hard,
nice shot, how do the 2 cameras compare for high iso noise.

Hi Scott,

Yes I was a Pentax diehard, but wanted FF and so the D700 was purchased. Still have a very big sift spot for Pentax, though.

The D700 is still about a stop ahead for high ISO noise, but you can't be upset by the D7000 as it is amazing. :)

Thank you for your nice comment.

Last edited:
Have you reduced noise at all? If not, they are great for 6400! Great pics regardless!

Thank you very much. Yes, I used Noiseware Professional to reduce noise. Mainly just needed Luminance noise reduction.

Really clear and crisp shots.

Why did you need to use such high iso settings?

John

Hi John,

Thank you for the nice comments.

Even though I have VR, I used high ISO to make sure that there was no movement of subject, which is just as critical as camera movement by the photographer. I am probably a little anal about this. I can't remember the exact minimum shutter speed that I set on the menu, but it was usually about the 1/focal length, maybe a half a stop less. So, with the 70-200 + 2x TC, this was probably set to 1/320sec or thereabouts. When you consider that for a crop sensor camera you actually need 1/focal length x 1.5 if you do not have VR, which should be 1/600sec, then this was about a stop less in shutter speed. Probably could have gotten away with less, but I just wanted to be sure.

fantastic shots cannot believe they are high iso shots.

Thank you very much. The high ISO ability of the D7000 is quite amazing, especially for a crop camera.

Lance,

Thanks for your reply. I also use higer ISOs but would tend to use a max of 1600.

I love the shot of the baby orang.

John

Lance,

Thanks for your reply. I also use higer ISOs but would tend to use a max of 1600.

I love the shot of the baby orang.

John

Thanks again, John. :)

Hi Scott,

Yes I was a Pentax diehard, but wanted FF and so the D700 was purchased. Still have a very big sift spot for Pentax, though.

The D700 is still about a stop ahead for high ISO noise, but you can't be upset by the D7000 as it is amazing. :)

Thank you for your nice comment.
thanks for that lance, i still have a gx20 and i have 2 d300, and have just ordered a d700, but i did think about the d7000, but it will be mostly used for weddings so i went for the d700 and will use a d300 untill i decide if a want another d700 as a 2nd ody or a d3.
but will be keeping 11 d300 untill the d400 comes out.

thanks for that lance, i still have a gx20 and i have 2 d300, and have just ordered a d700, but i did think about the d7000, but it will be mostly used for weddings so i went for the d700 and will use a d300 untill i decide if a want another d700 as a 2nd ody or a d3.
but will be keeping 11 d300 untill the d400 comes out.

You will love the D700, I'm sure. :)

im a canon shooter... but these photos are just WOW and i cant help but be impressed with nikon's ability at high ISO!
i'll stick with my canon tho! ;P

im a canon shooter... but these photos are just WOW and i cant help but be impressed with nikon's ability at high ISO!
i'll stick with my canon tho! ;P
'

Thank you for the kind words, Patrick. :)

Yes, the D7000's high ISO is quite amazing, but you have to stick to the brand that you like. :)

Lovely shots there. Impressed with the low noise and crispness of the images. Really love the last one

Thank you very much for your nice comment, especially from a fellow Asutralian. :)

How much post editing have you done? I have a Nikon D90 and considering upgrading to the D7000. Any chance of seeing some images straight from the camera?

These are excellent :)

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Great pics . . . brings to mind a comment from a review I read . . . "the D7000 needs top glass to let it shine . . . ".

CJS

Superb series, the baby orang shot is brilliant
Pete

Wow those are great! Would be interested to know how much processing you have done too. Makes me want to buy that that 2X TC III....

Great shots Lance.

I recently acquired a D7000 and am still shooting a ISO 200.

Think I'll up it a bit after seeing those.

D in W

Very impressive. I hadn't realised that the D7000 was so capable at high ISO. These are leagues ahead of my D5000. Have you done much PP on them or is this in camera noise reduction?

wow im stunned. bought the D7000 on wednesday and have not used it properly yet.

wow! really beautiful shots!

I had a try of the D7000 and really liked it.... after looking at your shots I think I may 'need' it!!! :)

Hi Lance,

Thanks for posting these. Considering the purchase of a D7000 as a complementary cam to my D700 and being very enthusiast about the 70-200 VRII + 2xTCIIIe combo on my D700 I was looking for good samples and I must say I'm blown away, especially by last one you posted. (y)
I feared that this lens-TC combo would not work as well on a cropped sensor because of the very high pixel density, but your samples have erased that fear...;)
Thanks once more and congratulations!

A question in relation to the stunning last picture: After downloading and opening in ViewNX2he EXIF of the underneath picture says 200mm... Does that mean it was shot without the 2xTCIII or at 100mm x2 ?

original.jpg

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.

Kindest regards,

Stany
www.fotografie.fr

Last edited:
Lance, I'm amazed at these simply because I own a D700 and can't get images this clean with that much detail at the same ISO settings. Is that a result of the software you're using?

These photos are amazing, it would be interesting to see the before and after photos when the noise reduction has been applied :)

Back