Nikon D7000 focus,is it just me

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had my d7000 for a while now,and either the focus is hit and miss,or i am,here is a couple of shots i done yesterday at Barbury horse trials,see what you think,one i have edited,the other as it came from the camera.Top one has been edited,bottom one hasnt,they were quite high iso around 1600.View attachment 15439View attachment 15440

Its very difficult to tell anything at all from such low res photos. Can you post the high res versions, with Exif intact so we cash maybe help

how do i post high res ones?i thought these were?

no these are 1,024 pixels on the long side. If you create a public dropbox folder and put the original files in there (they'll be way to big to upload) and give us a link

will get onto that now

EDIT
they were shot in raw,so you want the raw files or the saved jpeg files??

Last edited:
Can't say I've wver had any issues. Well, nothing that the micro af adjust hasn't fixed.

Hit and miss in what way? Soft? Won't lock? Both? Seems a few issues have been popping up lately with the D7000.

soft focus,the second shot of the rider leaping into water seems very soft,i am wondering if its me focusing though

The first thing i notice is the second shots lacks the colour depty of the first one,look at the riders face its nearly white,it would be interesting to see the original files

thanks mike i am trying to add to dropbox,do you require the raw file,or the saved jpeg??

Raw would be best

At a glance the softening that there is seems to be as a result of using ISO 1,600 for them both. I don't think there is a focus issue

I'd be more concerned with them being over exposed.

The shot with the water has missed focus, yes... the fence behind is a lot sharper than horse & rider.

Thanks strumstrum,i have edited one,but the one at the water jump is as it came from the camera,i have noticed that alot of the pics i take are very light,which i guess is overexposed as Pookeyhead said,is this something i am doing??

What lens are you using? (Sorry if you've already said) but my D7k over exposes with my Tamron 70-300 vc so I always tend to run it with -2/3 of a stop exposure compensation which works well and also speeds up your shutter speed.

I use sigma 70-200 f2.8 mainly,i have to say i dont know when to use exposure compensation.

Just try it for a few shots. I always dial it in when I use that lens.

Some Sigma lenses have been known to suffer from AF issues and can be hit and miss. Have you noticed this problem with other lenses?

At present i only have that lens as most of what i shoot can be done using that lens,whats the idea of exposure compensation,and how would i know when to use it?

Proud nice editing,the second picture i had already edited,what adjustments did you do,cus that is way better than my edit,cracking stuff

Last edited:
At present i only have that lens as most of what i shoot can be done using that lens,whats the idea of exposure compensation,and how would i know when to use it?

Proud nice editing,the second picture i had already edited,what adjustments did you do,cus that is way better than my edit,cracking stuff

I cheated and used Smart photo fix on Paintshop pro which Darkened the photos and increased shadows and highlights slighty, then I sharpened the image before running digital noise removal.

Like I said, when I have that lens on I automatically dial in -0.7ev as I know it over exposes. If it's a really bright day then I will usually bump it up to -1.0ev. Never really had any issues with under exposing doing this and I make the most of it with the higher SS with birds and sports.

Just try it out tomorrow if you get chance, even if it's something in the garden and then see if the results are any better. Try -0.3, -0.7 and so on then assess them on the computer. It might not work but it does for me with my lens.

Were you shooting at f2.8 and what was your shutter speed?

I used luminance,then a bit of sharpening,and increased blacks,in lightroom,maybe i should try paintshop pro

Water pic was iso 1600 185mm f5.6 1/2500
second pic iso 1600 200mm f5.6 1/1600

Last edited:
I used luminance,then a bit of sharpening,and increased blacks,in lightroom,maybe i should try paintshop pro

Water pic was iso 1600 185mm f5.6 1/2500
second pic iso 1600 200mm f5.6 1/1600
I tried In lightroom and you can get just as good results if not better, I only used Paintshop Pro as it was a quick edit. I have started to use lightroom for all my edits.

I have played with lightroom for around 6-8 months.just trying to get used to what all the bits and pieces do lol

It won't be a result of iso1600.

With a good lens, I get really sharp shots at 6400... it's just that the D7000 has a good, but not GREAT af system.

Were you on 3D tracking, and was the target tracking pointed fixed well enough? I find I need to give it a second before it locks on and when it does, it will still miss focus sometimes...

i believe it was this one d9: Dynamic 9,i selected single point then turned the front dial to illuminate the ones around it,if that makes sense??

i thought if i was to use 39 points it might pick people out in the crowd in the back ground and focus on them instead??

It's possible but it depends on how good the lock on is when you make your target. That's the same with any though... TBH if I'm shooting sports or animals, it's always only ever one AF mode; 39points AF-C 3D.

It would have worked well as 3D works with colours and you have a good color separation with the horse there.

If you were shooting a green snake on grass, you would have struggled.

Last edited:
Back