Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Ok I've noticed something weird about the camera :eek:
I don't do landscapes very well, not really my thing bit do have the odd dabble
So to help out I set the FN button to show the virtual landscape (y)
You never know I might get the horizons straight
Today I was out doing my usual wildlife thing and put the 12-24 on for a couple of shots, and there at the bottom of the viewing screen, up popped the virtual horizon thing :shrug:
Any idea why it did that, as soon as I changed lenses it went again

Does anyone know, with this photoshop cloud thing does this mean that photoshop cs5n won't be getting an upgrade for processing d7100 files?

I read that upgrades will stop in June unless you use the Cloud version but general support will continue ... whatever that means :shrug:

Mmm, problem I have is I only use photoshop for blending and even then not very often. I can't warrant the monthly subscription for just that......Hopefully they'll upgrade by then, not sure they'll be in any rush though.

Well, I finally gone and done it and got myself a D7000. Bought second hand as body only and with a vertical grip.
All I need now is some glass so that I can play with my new toy, any reccommendations in the zoom ranges 18-100mm and 50-300mm or there abouts, without costing a fortune but still good IQ?
Chris

Well, I finally gone and done it and got myself a D7000. Bought second hand as body only and with a vertical grip.
All I need now is some glass so that I can play with my new toy, any reccommendations in the zoom ranges 18-100mm and 50-300mm or there abouts, without costing a fortune but still good IQ?
Chris

Depends if you want zooms or primes?

Primes,The 35mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens on the D7000 or how about a nifty 50 for about £60 used?

Zooms the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 teamed up with a Nikon 70-300?

Loads of others though!

What budget you thinking of.
Plus there's no real point in having overlapping focal lengths if they are both going to be fast lenses.

I am moving over from Canon and know next to nothing about the IQ of Nikon lenses. I currently have the Tamron 70-300mm VC on my Canon 7D and would possibly consider that for the Nikon but I have also seen the Nikon 55-300mm VR on sale at Procamershop for £150 which seems to be a bargain, how do these compare?

35mm f1.8 sounds interesting, I have no problem buying second hand, how mch do these tend to go for?

The two leses I tend to use most on my Canon are the 17-85mm IS and the Tamron 70-300mm VC so I guess I would like something similar on the D7000.
I have bought the D7000 because of the widely reported high ISO low noise perfomance and from the few shots I took in the sellers back garden I am, so far, impressed but dont want to spoil that by getting some bad IQ lenses but equally, for the time being, I dont want to blow mountains of cash until I am sure which way to go (Nikon or Canon or maybe both), bit of a dilemma I know

I am moving over from Canon and know next to nothing about the IQ of Nikon lenses. I currently have the Tamron 70-300mm VC on my Canon 7D and would possibly consider that for the Nikon but I have also seen the Nikon 55-300mm VR on sale at Procamershop for £150 which seems to be a bargain, how do these compare?

35mm f1.8 sounds interesting, I have no problem buying second hand, how mch do these tend to go for?

The two leses I tend to use most on my Canon are the 17-85mm IS and the Tamron 70-300mm VC so I guess I would like something similar on the D7000.
I have bought the D7000 because of the widely reported high ISO low noise perfomance and from the few shots I took in the sellers back garden I am, so far, impressed but dont want to spoil that by getting some bad IQ lenses but equally, for the time being, I dont want to blow mountains of cash until I am sure which way to go (Nikon or Canon or maybe both), bit of a dilemma I know

35mm f1.8 tend to go for between £100-£110 depending on what day you look and how many are for sale at that point :)

I would also recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (I have non VC version and snapped up a bargain at £165!) and also the Tamron 70-300mm VC USM lens, think I paid around £300 for that about 9 months ago, but a good alternative to the similar Nikon 70-300 :)

Also loving my Nikon 85mm f1.8 lens... I find it sharper than my old 35mm f1.8 lens, and is probably a better portrait lens length.

ive just picked up a really good condition Nikon 35-70 f2.8 lens for £200. Its a raelly good lens, old so a lot cheaper than new (£900). Got mine locally though, so was able to check it out and test it first.
I also have a Tamron 70-300 vc usd for £300 and I think it is great, needs good light though, so ideal for outside shooting. Zoos wildlife your kids playing etc.
I'm just after a landscape lens now so I keep looking for a bargain to slip through, prob gonna go for the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24

ive just picked up a really good condition Nikon 35-70 f2.8 lens for £200. Its a raelly good lens, old so a lot cheaper than new (£900). Got mine locally though, so was able to check it out and test it first.
I also have a Tamron 70-300 vc usd for £300 and I think it is great, needs good light though, so ideal for outside shooting. Zoos wildlife your kids playing etc.
I'm just after a landscape lens now so I keep looking for a bargain to slip through, prob gonna go for the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24

Been after a 35-70 2.8 for a while now but wont buy unless i can have a good look at it first.

It really is a good bit if glass for the money I paid. Worth it if you find a good one.

I have the Tokina 11-16 and its a fab lens on my D7k......made some interesting phots when i used it on my D600 though!

What did they look like just out of interest? Very distorted?

For the focal lengths c22w1 wants, he could invest in older lenses as the D7k has the built-in motor. AF 28-100 sometimes go quite cheap. Don't know what they are like IQ wise though. The AF-S 35mm 1.8 is a cracking lens for the money, recently sold mine and replaced it with a AF 50mm 1.8 as I eventually want to head to full frame. A couple of my friends like the AF-S 55-300 VR but on a recent walk we discovered that on one of them the VR has packed up after only a few uses. It's a budget built lens and I guess the quality isn't quite there compared with the higher end options.

Well I've been out with my 2nd D7100 and I am happy to report that it all looks OK. :)

Here's a few more images that I am more than happy with;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8718820976/
I don't know why he swallowed a fly? by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8717155858/
Splash & Dash by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8713557393/
2013-05-06 124417N-2 copy by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Very impressive, what lenses did you use

I am struggling a little with all the lens choices. I am looking at Nikon AF lenses but some have the aperture markings/settings as the old manual lenses used to from my film days from years ago and not like the auto modern lenses I have become accustomed to.
Does this mean that these lenses are auto focus but manual aperture or can the aperture be controlled from the camera, if so what is the point of he aperture settings on the lens?
Sorry for all the quetions but as I say I am new to Nikon.
Thanks

^ That.

I have a lens question myself actually. Anyone know if you can use Push-Pull lenses on a D7000? A friend of mine has a nice lens which is in the AF range but due to the fitting not pushing a little lever on the body, it doesn't register on his D90. Was wondering if that's all of the Push-Pull lenses or just the really old ones. It works on his D1x.

nice sharp pics, i'm not sure what bird the 3rd on is though, never seen anything like it before. ;)

I think I may have to get my D7000 looked at for back focus.

Was at a friends wedding and there's more than a few that seem to have missed behind when at bigger apertures on my 17-55. Don't get me wrong when the focus was on it was excellent even at higher ISOs where my kit lens was not for some reason. But all the misses seem back focused not front, I am excluding me focusing on the background in error here.

Of course there's plenty of room for pilot error however as I'm new to fast lenses.

Just picked one up at amazon for 509. Wil replace my 300s as a spare. Good price with cashback

Last edited:
If you can afford it you want the f1.4.
If not either the d or g 1.8 are great lenses.

Just picked one up at amazon for 509. Wil replace my 300s as a spare. Good price with cashback

I've just seen them on Amazon at that price. I'm now wondering if I could replace my D3100 with a new D7000 without my missus noticing.

I've just seen them on Amazon at that price. I'm now wondering if I could replace my D3100 with a new D7000 without my missus noticing.

do it. It is such a better camera worth every penny and more.

It'll likely be better but I didn't notice a massive difference when I cheekily walked into Jessops and tried the D3100, 5100 and 7000 all together. Certainly not the same difference I noticed when I received my D7000 and put it against my D3000.

It'll likely be better but I didn't notice a massive difference when I cheekily walked into Jessops and tried the D3100, 5100 and 7000 all together. Certainly not the same difference I noticed when I received my D7000 and put it against my D3000.

Sorry I have to disagree, I went from the d5100 to the d7000 and all the extra controls, the extra screen on top to show your setup, the extra dial. Everything makes the d7000 feel like a proper camera. Built more solid too. I've stuck a grip on mine and it will remain by my side until it stops working in 200,000 or so actuations.

I replaced my D3000 with a D5000, then a D5000 with the D7000 without mine noticing :LOL:

Well, I'm sure she has an idea I've changed somewhere along the line but just do it anyway :love:

I think I may have to get my D7000 looked at for back focus.

Was at a friends wedding and there's more than a few that seem to have missed behind when at bigger apertures on my 17-55. Don't get me wrong when the focus was on it was excellent even at higher ISOs where my kit lens was not for some reason. But all the misses seem back focused not front, I am excluding me focusing on the background in error here.

Of course there's plenty of room for pilot error however as I'm new to fast lenses.

Have you tried adjusting the focus of each lens you have? Some of mine had to be set at -15 and some are fine at 0, -1 or -2. It will at least get them focusing correctly and you might decide it's not worth sending away :)

Have you tried adjusting the focus of each lens you have? Some of mine had to be set at -15 and some are fine at 0, -1 or -2. It will at least get them focusing correctly and you might decide it's not worth sending away :)

Will try the dot tune thing but I need to find an hour or so in good light. Also it's a zoom so hopefully it's the same/close both at 17 and 55! I haven't noticed it on my 300 yet but then I haven't really had a chance to closely look at the images.

At the risk of being told "Do a search.. etc" " I chose .." I have done all that and before I got my grip my choice would have been easier. I have trawled through Youtube and various reviews and have narrowed my choice down to the National Geographic Midi. My lens is the 16-85mm and for the forseeable future will be the only lens I will own and will always be attached to the camera.Will lens/camera and grip fit snugly in the midi (lens down)?

Capture.jpg

D7000%20and%20grip.jpg

D7000%20and%20grip2.jpg

D7000%20and%20grip3.jpg

Back