Nikon D7xxx owners thread

My 3rd (yes THIRD) D7100 will be delivered tomorrow.

My first one, which I've had for 3 weeks has some intermittent issues (shutter firing with a weird sound resulting in very dark images, the back screen refusing to display until I remove the battery). The first replacement was out the box for about 5 minutes when I noticed the focus-mode button at the front was totally dead. Thankfully I bought from Amazon who have been excellent in terms of service.

Last chance saloon though. If number three is problematic then it's refund time (including a £900 Sigma lens I also bought).

Watch this space.......

Seems there are some seriously unlucky D7100 owners on here. Then again, as always, there will always be problems and with every bad copy there are thousands of others.

Be interesting to see if problems are coming from early batches.

Touch wood I have no problems, and mine starts with 43.

Seems there are some seriously unlucky D7100 owners on here. Then again, as always, there will always be problems and with every bad copy there are thousands of others.

Be interesting to see if problems are coming from early batches.

Touch wood I have no problems, and mine starts with 43.
Its does seem strange as other forums seem to have few bad samples

that sir, is a lovely picture :)

Cheers Tizer!

I was in Park Cameras earlier chatting about the D7100 and was told that it is basically less forgiving on lenses then earlier models so that could be the problem some are facing, I did ask whether it would be ok with my sigma 150-500 and was told that it should be reasonably out a ok depending on the lens, which is with sigma at the moment being repaired so can't try it out.
I wish nikon would bring out a D300 replacement I need something to work better at high ISO at the moment I'm having to push the EV to it's limits at times :(

I was in Park Cameras earlier chatting about the D7100 and was told that it is basically less forgiving on lenses then earlier models so that could be the problem some are facing,

Hmm, that was also initially claimed to be the case with the D800, but my change from the D7100 to the D800 showed that, in my case at least, that was definitely not the issue - my D7100 was a faulty camera.

I know I had serious issues on the D200 with some lenses, a later upgrade to D300 and it was fine with them, although I no longer owned the lenses as I had upgraded those too, but had heard it was the case so borrowed them back to try out

I used my 300mm F2.8 VR11 prime on a D7000, no problems! D7100, nowhere near as sharp.
Also found high ISO & shadow areas noisier than the D7000. So defo NOTHING to do with lens quality. (in my case at least)

Sheepish Reflection by Darren Turner, on Flickr

Tywyn Beach Just After Susnet by Darren Turner, on Flickr

after selling all my canon gear i found i couldn't live with out a DSLR so i just bought a Nikon D7100, must say i dont have any issues with my copy, perfectly sharp & focus is spot on, all works as i feel it should.

I have kept away deliberately from ££££££ pro lens's, the only reason its to make travelling much lighter.

initial thoughts are wow this is one nice bit of kit, it dont feel as solid, heavy or as well built as my old 7D but the IQ is amazing

Cheers

Daz

Last edited:
I took my D7100 with 70-300 VR to a recent equestrian event and was very impressed. Static images were sharp and detailed, so much so you could see the water droplets on the horses nose.

Action shots were good, but will get better after learning the camera a bit more!

Same as you JJ, same lens too, can get some pretty nice crisp images, which i failed to get uploaded over the weekend :\

i have just upgraded to a D 7000 from a DX40,
i think it was a good buy,
it feels great.
i cant find anything that i don't like at the moment,
early days yet.

I'm very tight on budget right now as I invested a lot on a Nikon F6, scanner and other film related stuff.
Really don't want to give up on film and sale anything but my only digital camera is a black x100 (very good but limited due to fix lenses.
My questions is will i be happy shooting street and architecture with a d7000 .
Other camera in mind are the D600 and D800 both well out of reach without selling some gear. :-(

Will, what made you think that was required to fine tune the lens?

I got my D7000 last week (from D3100), but i'm wondering if I need to check all my lenses to be sure?

How did you go about testing? (apologies if this topic has come up before)

Probably worth checking them, will take 5mins and give you peace of mind.

I read a lot of issues about back focusing with the kit lens but I tested it and it was bang on.

I read a lot of issues about back focusing with the kit lens but I tested it and it was bang on.

Every lens I've mounted has been the same lol :bang:

digitalrev did a review on youtube, the difference isn't really worth swapping especially if you have to consider all your lenses too.

In the end curiosity got the better of me and I used this chart to test all my lenses: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

I had to fine tune all of them anyway between -5 and -20.

Glad i've done it now though. :D

On my D7000 i can view the exif of a JPG and see how many shutter actuations used under the last section manufacturer info . With my D7100 OPANDA does not show manufacturers info !!! anyone know what maybe different - is there a setting on the camera that may solve this ?

Back