Nikon D750 Back Button Focus

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I dont have the manual with me and have taken delivery of the d750 for test.

I want to set up the BBF so that the AF-l / AE-L button is for focus and the PV button can be used for exposure lock.

Anyone know the settings?

also

I cant seem to find the setting that shows the autofocus points in black. They are invisible at the moment.

Last thing, if ai use the joypad to toggel AF points i can toggle ALL of them which means i need to press it a few times to get to the edge AF point. Can i set it to use the outer 9 AF points only?

Thanks, in the mean time i wil be searching google..

also

I cant seem to find the setting that shows the autofocus points in black. They are invisible at the moment.

Last thing, if ai use the joypad to toggel AF points i can toggle ALL of them which means i need to press it a few times to get to the edge AF point. Can i set it to use the outer 9 AF points only?

Thanks, in the mean time i wil be searching google..

This is well worth a watch and answers all of your questions.

Sorry I missed the bit about you not having the manual. :rolleyes:

I don't have a D750 just looked at a download of the manual

Menu - custom settings menu

The PC button is under f3

The other button is under f4

Hope that helps

Last edited:
cheers all

Everytim i go to download the manual it crashes on the pc im on.

Cheers Gaz, will look at those custom functions

think i have it

PV - set to AE (Hold) i think that means that i push the PV and exposure is locked until i take the shot then its reset

AE / AF butto - set to AF - ON. I think this decouples the AF from the shutter button.

firsttime using a Nikon body and menu system. Its not that bad to be honest.

So far from a couple of hours with the D750 im finding it quite easy. The muscle memory isnt there and im finding my hands / fingers searching for buttons as if it was a 5D2 but getting there slowly.

First impressions based on nothing other than AF speed and tonal range on back of camera and im impressed...

Rgds

just had to micro adjust the lens by +15

seems a lot

What are you using to check your focus Greg. Did you get the manual?

What are you using to check your focus Greg. Did you get the manual?

got the manual thanks. thats a lot of reading lol.

Im trying to find the part that shows how you can turn the AF points on to be black, and then red once AF is reached. At the moment i cant see any black AF points.

im using the cover of an arctic monkeys album placed about 10 inches in front of the camera at a 45 deg angle. Im focusing on a string of words / letters.

The word was LIQUIDATE and i focussed on the QUI. In the playback the QUI was soft and IDA was sharp. +15 micro adj brings the QUI sharp.

I'm not a Nikon user but 10 inches is too close to check focus accuracy. For example Canon recommend a minimum of 25 times focal length. I would expect nikon to be similar. Also it would be better to have a ruler set up at 45 degrees so you can see a accurate measurement. A quick search on the net should give you some idea of set up.

Checking focus accuracy needs to be methodical and repeatable. Camera on tripod, same height as object you focusing on and in direct line.

have a look at Focal software, they have just released a version for the D750. I use it for all of my prime's where I'm shooting very wide apertures and really need the accuracy to be dead on. They also recommend 25x minimum focal length and ideally 50x, when I last did it was using 2m for a 35mm and 3.2m for an 85mm (due to space restrictions). From what I can remember I've never needed to go beyond +/- 10 for any of my lenses on any of the bodies, including from 3rd party suppliers such as Sigma and Tamron.

Last edited:
Back