Nikon D750 & D780

Nikon dropped a big one by taking away the AF area switch on the back of this and the d800.

I'd imagine the D750 isn't an all alloy construction due to Wifi?
I honestly doubt it. It wouldn't take much to run an antenna under a rubber body cover, or use the body itself as the antenna.
Simple fact is that some of the modern "plastics" are *better* suited to some applications than metal is.

I honestly doubt it. It wouldn't take much to run an antenna under a rubber body cover, or use the body itself as the antenna.
Simple fact is that some of the modern "plastics" are *better* suited to some applications than metal is.

On one review they did mention this,and maybe that's why Nikon had gone the plastic route :)

Manufacturers quote it all the time. Running an antenna as you suggest would result in a very unidirectional setup which is not desirable for WiFi.

Running an antenna as you suggest would result in a very unidirectional setup which is not desirable for WiFi.
Not necessarily.... there are many cases of wi-fi capability inside metal housings (i.e. most things Mac). And if the idea was to use plastic to enable wi-fi; using it on *the front of the camera* would be a less than ideal choice.

Not necessarily.... there are many cases of wi-fi capability inside metal housings (i.e. most things Mac). And if the idea was to use plastic to enable wi-fi; using it on *the front of the camera* would be a less than ideal choice.

Aluminium doesn't shield as well as Magnesium alloy.

Bit of a blunder, by Nikon, to have the wifi unsecured by default :rolleyes:

Bit of a non-story really if people read the manual they would realise to turn the PIN number option on. Rule one RTFM ! ;)

Quite right, but I thnk Nikon should have used a bit of sense and had the security turned on, as default.

Quite right, but I thnk Nikon should have used a bit of sense and had the security turned on, as default.

Fair one, but virtually every feature or mode is set in the default position of off in the menu. I'm sure they will take the feedback and learn from it.

Whatever - to all the detractors - I for one am looking forward to receiving my D750 (replaces my D600) . Big plus (s) for me are rear screen moveable and AF upgrade) . Must say wifi I don't care about or any video capability .

We're getting two as backup bodies.

The reasons being: small, light body; professional AF; tilt screen; LV exposure preview; 24 as opposed to 36mp.

They basically made a properly usable d610. I dont give a crap if its not as robust as my d4 because, aside from the odd bit of rain, my cameras don't really take any abuse.

That's pretty much why I have ordered one, to back up my D810 but I don't think it will be as fragile as some people suggest. It's got a tough chassis.

I think you're right, but I never thought getting rid was a bad decision either

I'm not in a great position to comment because in all honesty I can't remember how I now change it on my D600. Not sure if it's easy or fiddly. Set it up on day 1 and haven't changed it since!

That's pretty much why I have ordered one, to back up my D810 but I don't think it will be as fragile as some people suggest. It's got a tough chassis.

When do you expect it to arrive?

Would you mind posting some first impressions for us?

It should be arriving on Monday, I have a busy week ahead and then off to the Med Saturday so I don't have much time, l'll certainly post some initial feedback - if I get a chance a pic or two.

Dont let it fall out of your hands....with it being so small and unprofessional like........and dont shake it or it may fall apart. As soon as I get back from Spain Im ordering mine too.

I can't understand the clinging on to the 6 year old D700 over an obviously superior and more modern camera like the D750.
just had my "old" d700 serviced. thanks Nikon :) can"t see any reason to "upgrade" to the auto mode pop out screen d750 sounds more like its aimed at a more beginner market.:exit:

35 years with an eyepiece I thought the articulated LCD screen was a bit of a gimmick until I tried one on the Fuji X-T1. It's use enables you to view the subject and maintain good eye contact an keeping up the dialogue. Brilliant for low angle shooting too. One of those things that I never thought I needed but once used I have realised how useful it is in some situations. I do still prefer the eyepiece for most subjects however !

Last edited:
just had my "old" d700 serviced. thanks Nikon :) can"t see any reason to "upgrade" to the auto mode pop out screen d750 sounds more like its aimed at a more beginner market.:exit:

A full frame camera with expeed4 and the same AF and metering as a D4s is aimed at beginners? Seriously?

Whats the problem with an auto mode anyway? Ive never used it and I'm hardly bothered that its there. The D700 has a P (Programmed Auto) Mode which is more or less the same thing anyway. The u1/u2 settings are something i wished my d4 had! And how does the extremely useful tilt screen make it less professional? Again, id love one on my d4.

I loved my D700 bodies but the d750 is better in arguably every way. Once you've experienced the colours and DR of the newer nikons, there's no going back.

Last edited:
I would love for someone to show me an image where the increased color depth and DR in the shadows actually makes a significant/notable difference.
Using a D700 for the last week and i genuinly dont see any measurable difference to the Jpeg output files, i dont shoot Raw

"There's no going back" is certainly a figure of speech. The sentiment remains that the D700 cannot match the newer Nikons for color reproduction generally (jpg and RAW) and (for RAW shooters like me) dynamic range. As much as I loved both my D700 and D3s, the likes of the D4, D800 and even D610 allow you a greater level of creative freedom with regards to DR.

I don't know how anyone cannot say that the D750, as a whole, is a superior camera to the D700. The D700 has marginal speed and buffer gains, and a "professional body" but that is it, really. As a professional, I would rather be shooting with the so-called amateurish D750 than the more professional D700 with it's single card slot and inferior image quality.

I would love for someone to show me an image where the increased color depth and DR in the shadows actually makes a significant/notable difference.

I have deliberately underexposed skin by approx 4 stops to preserve highlights with a D800 and brought back the shadows in post. I couldn't do that with the D700. If you're a RAW shooter, the DR capabilities of the newer nikons (especially the D800/D810) opens up a whole series of PP possibilities.

"There's no going back" is certainly a figure of speech. The sentiment remains that the D700 cannot match the newer Nikons for color reproduction generally (jpg and RAW) and (for RAW shooters like me) dynamic range. As much as I loved both my D700 and D3s, the likes of the D4, D800 and even D610 allow you a greater level of creative freedom with regards to DR.

I don't know how anyone cannot say that the D750, as a whole, is a superior camera to the D700. The D700 has marginal speed and buffer gains, and a "professional body" but that is it, really. As a professional, I would rather be shooting with the so-called amateurish D750 than the more professional D700 with it's single card slot and inferior image quality.
You really dont need to justify your spending and choice to me, its your choice as mine was mine to make the step back to the D700 and do please tell, who has called the D750 amateurish as i checked and cant see that anywhere

I have deliberately underexposed skin by approx 4 stops to preserve highlights with a D800 and brought back the shadows in post. I couldn't do that with the D700. If you're a RAW shooter, the DR capabilities of the newer nikons (especially the D800/D810) opens up a whole series of PP possibilities.
Well, I'll have to give you that... At base ISO it gives you a couple more stops to play with and you can get pretty descent recovery like that.
But I generally wouldn't choose to underexpose by 4 stops... even on a "bright scene" and using base ISO that's pretty noisy.

You really dont need to justify your spending and choice to me, its your choice as mine was mine to make the step back to the D700 and do please tell, who has called the D750 amateurish as i checked and cant see that anywhere

It was described above as a directed at the "beginner market." That surely would infer amateur? The camera is aimed at the enthusiast market, which I think belittles it's abilities. I'd go as far as saying it's potentially the most important Nikon camera since the D700 for a great deal of professionals.

Sk66, I don't have my work drive at home so I'm afraid I can't show you my own examples but Sam Hurd gave a remarkable example in his D810 review.

dynamic-range-copy.jpg

20140819_15_25_48-3-Edit.jpg

The noise is more than acceptable when at base ISO. Obviously things change from 800 upwards. It's opened up all sorts of new creativity in my shooting in both sunlight and long-exposure nighttime stuff. As I've said, I was firmly in the "why won't they replace the D700 properly" camp until the D750 was announced.

It was described above as a directed at the "beginner market." That surely would infer amateur? The camera is aimed at the enthusiast market, which I think belittles it's abilities. I'd go as far as saying it's potentially the most important Nikon camera since the D700 for a great deal of professionals.

Sk66, I don't have my work drive at home so I'm afraid I can't show you my own examples but Sam Hurd gave a remarkable example in his D810 review.

The noise is more than acceptable when at base ISO. Obviously things change from 800 upwards. It's opened up all sorts of new creativity in my shooting in both sunlight and long-exposure nighttime stuff. As I've said, I was firmly in the "why won't they replace the D700 properly" camp until the D750 was announced.
Just shoot the damn thing right in the first place (not meaning you deci but anyone) people need to study lighting and exposure.

Joe, that doesn't illustrate anything at all other than to use as an example of 'poor depth of field' and where a small aperture may be more beneficial than a larger one !

Why does size matter? I have massive hands and have managed absolutely fine using an X-T1, I have even shot a wedding with it. Manual dexterity has never been an issue. How many people said to me "0hh, you've got a small camera" ~ no one!

Why is size really so important. Is aesthetics and looks more important than functionality ?

Last edited:
Back