Nikon D750 & D780

Bit the bullet and ordered one last night, hope it's delivered before next weekend.

Coming back to Nikon as Fuji have delayed their super tele by 12 months. So much choice for longer lenses than Fuji's current longest lens @ 230mm. Loved the Fuji Xpro & XT1 but I am getting more into bird photography at home (keeps me sane) so no point having a system if it doesn't do what I need. Struggled with long manual lenses not having AF for my disabilities.

Bought an old Nikon 75-300mm which I used to use on my D7000 and found it to be my favourite longer lens of all time and regreted selling it. Also bought a Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 for the short end if I need it. Need to start saving for a 300mm f4 & TC, or similar, before the spring comes.

Nikon D750 owners …. I’m looking for a favour from 1 or more if possible if you wouldn’t mind sparing 5minuets out of your time.

I’m looking for a small test to be carried out before I make the jump and buy the Nikon D750..

Basically I’m looking for someone to send me a RAW file from this camera but using the following settings just so I can check it out!! I love everything about this camera and will be my first step to FX but it will prove useless and a massive waste of my money if it's no good under these test conditions.

So I need the camera with Lens cap ON, Noise Reduction OFF, F8, 30 seconds, ISO 3200 and MOST importantly ….. Completely covered in a towel or under a blanket this is to eliminate any sort of light pollution or light leak… You might think that’s a crazy test but what I need to know is at ISO 3200 for 30 seconds what the noise patterns like from the sensor.

This is due to me liking the odd Astro photo and at the moment I can’t take photos using those settings due to the prominent position of the noise….. I know my current camera (Nikon D5200) is in a different league to the d750 but I'd still love the test results just to be confident that I won't come across the same issues I currently have, I’ve had discussions around this before and people have said the noise can be removed in many different ways mainly using the Nikon NR feature but that isn’t really the answer for me…. The d5200s sensor noise is all on one corner and no amount of noise reduction can clear it yet the same test was carried out on a d7100 and it was fairly evenly spread and could be removed so I’m hoping the d750 will perform better in this test than the d7100 so that I can make the jump to FX

Thanks Hope to hear from some of you soon

Nikon D750 owners …. I’m looking for a favour from 1 or more if possible if you wouldn’t mind sparing 5minuets out of your time.

I’m looking for a small test to be carried out before I make the jump and buy the Nikon D750..

Basically I’m looking for someone to send me a RAW file from this camera but using the following settings just so I can check it out!! I love everything about this camera and will be my first step to FX but it will prove useless and a massive waste of my money if it's no good under these test conditions.

So I need the camera with Lens cap ON, Noise Reduction OFF, F8, 30 seconds, ISO 3200 and MOST importantly ….. Completely covered in a towel or under a blanket this is to eliminate any sort of light pollution or light leak… You might think that’s a crazy test but what I need to know is at ISO 3200 for 30 seconds what the noise patterns like from the sensor.

This is due to me liking the odd Astro photo and at the moment I can’t take photos using those settings due to the prominent position of the noise….. I know my current camera (Nikon D5200) is in a different league to the d750 but I'd still love the test results just to be confident that I won't come across the same issues I currently have, I’ve had discussions around this before and people have said the noise can be removed in many different ways mainly using the Nikon NR feature but that isn’t really the answer for me…. The d5200s sensor noise is all on one corner and no amount of noise reduction can clear it yet the same test was carried out on a d7100 and it was fairly evenly spread and could be removed so I’m hoping the d750 will perform better in this test than the d7100 so that I can make the jump to FX

If someone doesn't do it first I'll have a crack tonight.

Hi ben would love to know your findings especially thé 7100 against the 750 as i an debating that upgrade myself for thé sa me reason cheers

Hi ben would love to know your findings especially thé 7100 against the 750 as i an debating that upgrade myself for thé sa me reason cheers

I've already got the d7100 RAW file and I'm really impressed compared to my d5200 ..... I just keep thinking if I'm upgrading soon should I not just go the whole hog now rather than regret not doing it sooner rather than later haha but it will be interesting to see the d750s performance

ive had one reply off a different forum and it wasn't what I was hoping for... :( apparently there was lots of light leak but that's why I've asked under these conditions to eliminate that

whats your conclusion ben so far re the 7100 v750,have you had another raw file from anyone else under your specific conditions,im itching to know if the 7100 to 750 upgrade would be worthwhile please keep posted cheers

I haven't actually had any replys regarding the D750 yet hopefully I do as I'm itching to know aswell like I mentioned I was really impressed by the d7100 compaired to my d5200! The d5200 was all in 1 corner and really affected your images at 30seconds ISO3200, But the d710 seemed less and evenly spread across the image so it wasn't as ... In your face!

PM me and I'll get back to you once I get some raw files to look at

I haven't actually had any replys regarding the D750 yet hopefully I do as I'm itching to know aswell like I mentioned I was really impressed by the d7100 compaired to my d5200! The d5200 was all in 1 corner and really affected your images at 30seconds ISO3200, But the d710 seemed less and evenly spread across the image so it wasn't as ... In your face!

PM me and I'll get back to you once I get some raw files to look at

I've just PM'ed you ... I think? If a "Conversation" is a "PM" then I have, if it isn't, then I haven't. Hmm. :eek:

this is the exact type of article that has really got me hovering over the D750 buy button.

I love the fact that you can grab a moment, expose for the highlights / sky, retain all the lovely detail in the shadows and dress / suit etc and not have to worry about setting up off camera flash / having to use somewhere to bounce flash etc and spoiling the moment...so important for the way i work and want to work. I want to be invisible..(apart from the odd bit of pose correction or humour to put them at ease)...

I did hire a D750 and used it for a wedding, (need to write up the review) but was really impressed. HOWEVER....the noise at higher ISO is still there, in significant amounts but what IS MASSIVELY different is that you dont have the banding / lines / chromatic noise. Even at high ISO (9000 +) underexposing bt 3 stops still allows you to bring it up in post without it being too detrimental, and if converted to B&W then its less than some film grain presets that people use.

I used the D750 with he 35 1.4G along side my 5D2's (85 1.2 and 35 1.4) and barely touched the canons all day. I have one more wedding this year, then its going to be some serious consideration around whether to sell the canons and buy 2 X D750, 35 1.4g 85 1.4g and an SB900....

SB700's would be perfectly fine on those lenses Greg and I highly recommend the 1.8 Nikons over the 1.4's for focus speed and weight. It would be a really nice little light weight set up which I'm edging towards myself. The Sigma 1.4 Art shouldn't be under rated either, very good saving and handy to have just in case you really are in a dark spot. With 24mega pix you can crop into pictures nicely still.

Last edited:
Bit the bullet and ordered one last night, hope it's delivered before next weekend.

Coming back to Nikon as Fuji have delayed their super tele by 12 months.

Similar here, just have a Sony RX1 at the moment but an opportunity came up to add a full system as well, toss up for me between the X-T1 and D750 but the long wait for the Fuji super tele killed that idea from me. Ordered a D750 from HDEW (£1215!) on Saturday.

Just got a 50mm 1.8 AFS on the way for now until I decide what I want from it. More than likely that I will end up with a Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART / Nikon 85mm 1.8 AFS / Sigma 100-300mm f4 combo, that will cover everything I need.

Similar here, just have a Sony RX1 at the moment but an opportunity came up to add a full system as well, toss up for me between the X-T1 and D750 but the long wait for the Fuji super tele killed that idea from me. Ordered a D750 from HDEW (£1215!) on Saturday.

Just got a 50mm 1.8 AFS on the way for now until I decide what I want from it. More than likely that I will end up with a Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART / Nikon 85mm 1.8 AFS / Sigma 100-300mm f4 combo, that will cover everything I need.

I ordered Sunday night and when I looked at tracking earlier it was planned for delivery for tomorrow, double checked about 10mins ago and it's changed to Thursday. I would have bought from HDEW but I have been messed about twice with deliveries in the past so went to Panamoz who supplied the XT1 in 4 days, fantastic service. I only want it for birding in the garden, due to disabilities I am home allday and it keeps me just about sane! I tried some manual lenses with the XT1 and had a minty Tokina ATX f4 100-300mm, great lens when you nailed it but I was struggling with MF. I will probably buy another Fuji XT1 next year after I have saved for the Nikon 300mm f4 or similar like your 100-300mm mentioned.

If you wouldn't mind doing it as well thanks could you somehow email me them or put them where I can download them just so I can do the same tweaks as the d5200 and d7100 so I know there all the same
Here you go. Shot inside a film changing bag so it would have been pretty dark! High ISO and long exposure noise reduction were switched off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zizxhc3n8vlmsy/750_1152.NEF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3tfuu953p1wc7e/750_1153.NEF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zi6r6qrkn5s6c5/750_1154.NEF?dl=0

Last edited:
Here you go. Shot inside a film changing bag so it would have been pretty dark! High ISO and long exposure noise reduction were switched off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zizxhc3n8vlmsy/750_1152.NEF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3tfuu953p1wc7e/750_1153.NEF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zi6r6qrkn5s6c5/750_1154.NEF?dl=0

Brilliant thanks so much! Will only get access to a pc in the morning so will have a look them!!

What's the 3 files for? All the same??

D810 hard edge lens flare

And D610

That's not lens flare. Yes, it's caused by light coming in thru the lens but it's not happening in the lens. It has to be coming from something in the bottom of the mirror box. My best guess is that at a certain angle light is able to get past the light shield and reflect off of the AF sensor.

I am looking to make the jump up to FF too from a D7100 and this camera is very tempting with the Panamoz BACS price. Has anyone tried one out for motorsport yet ?

I am looking to make the jump up to FF too from a D7100 and this camera is very tempting with the Panamoz BACS price. Has anyone tried one out for motorsport yet ?

I've bought one with that in mind for next season, my D600 was perfectly capable even with its 'iffy' AF system, so I imagine this will excellent considering it has a top of the line AF system.

UPDATE

Right before I start BIG Thank you to the people who helped me out with some test files, ive had a quick look and All I need to say is WOW..... The d7100 was a massive improvement over the d5200 but the d750 just wow its in a completely different league ..... I honestly didn't think an image would come out so clean this was faaaar faaaaaar from what I was expecting to see....

I've got some stuff to sort out before heading off to work but ill hopefully be able to get the examples uploaded for you to check out

p.s. I WONT be upgrading to the D7100 or the new crop model it WILL be the d750!!

Just seen this on Youtube Bill and thought it maybe of some use for you

Thanks Joe …. he has also done a 40 min on the D750 for sports

It looks like it's the D750 that's the body for "birds and wildlife"

I must admit that once you have "enough" reach I am finding the D700 "better" and more consistent than the D7100, although the AF in single cell focus point seems to lock on quicker with the D7100

I must admit that once you have "enough" reach I am finding the D700 "better" and more consistent than the D7100, although the AF in single cell focus point seems to lock on quicker with the D7100

I think the D700 is a great camera for wildlife, if you want to get closer to the subject more and have more detail in your images go with the D8xx I use now a D800 for 90% of my wildlife photography, the quality it produces its unreal, a used D800 might be something to look into at a cheap price...

Get a used D800 Bill, prices have comedown a lot since the 810 was launched.

Get a used D800 Bill, prices have comedown a lot since the 810 was launched.

I think the D700 is a great camera for wildlife, if you want to get closer to the subject more and have more detail in your images go with the D8xx I use now a D800 for 90% of my wildlife photography, the quality it produces its unreal, a used D800 might be something to look into at a cheap price...

but the D750 "grey" is well under £1,300 …… I know it's a lot of money to some …… but I'm retired and can't take it with me!!

UPDATE

Right before I start BIG Thank you to the people who helped me out with some test files, ive had a quick look and All I need to say is WOW..... The d7100 was a massive improvement over the d5200 but the d750 just wow its in a completely different league ..... I honestly didn't think an image would come out so clean this was faaaar faaaaaar from what I was expecting to see....

I've got some stuff to sort out before heading off to work but ill hopefully be able to get the examples uploaded for you to check out

p.s. I WONT be upgrading to the D7100 or the new crop model it WILL be the d750!!

Apologies if our samples mean you have to spend more money! ;)

They certainly look better than your D7100 & D5200 samples - presumably that's mainly down to full frame vs crop. Interesting to note all the D750 samples look slightly brighter down the left side (or is that just my eyes?) and that's with the cameras being in very dark places. Still, not an issue in the real world.

but the D750 "grey" is well under £1,300 …… I know it's a lot of money to some …… but I'm retired and can't take it with me!!
Indeed, then get a D810, the cropability of these 36mp cameras is awesome. Example, stick a 300 lens on it, crop into and you`ll still have 24 or 18 mp to play with.

Mine is currently with Nikon due to the "light leakage" issues, bought from Panamoz but Nikon say they are happy to check and do the necessary based on that its a new camera with a new issue, Nikon are officially calling the issue "Internal Reflection" according to the RMA sheet i printed off

Mine is currently with Nikon due to the "light leakage" issues, bought from Panamoz but Nikon say they are happy to check and do the necessary based on that its a new camera with a new issue, Nikon are officially calling the issue "Internal Reflection" according to the RMA sheet i printed off
Gary keep us posted on what else Nikon says/does. I changed my kit to a D810/750 combo be interested to see how they approach it.

Gary keep us posted on what else Nikon says/does. I changed my kit to a D810/750 combo be interested to see how they approach it.
No worries, Nikon tech say theyre taking "quite a few" cameras in and dont want another D600 fiasco so will sort ALL cameras during an investigation period, not sure what they meant with that comment, think they know the problem exists as they have already said its "internal reflection"

I still have a Nikon Pro account but they wont give me priority treatment as its a grey camera but will sort it regardless, not in any sort of rush to get it done, im a fair weather shooter

first noticed something wrong here http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/p360284659/h247cca2e#h247cca2e on left side and to a lesser extent here upper left http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/p360284659/h247cca2e#h2a5bc0dd

got some good samples on main computer and will post later

No worries, Nikon tech say theyre taking "quite a few" cameras in and dont want another D600 fiasco so will sort ALL cameras during an investigation period, not sure what they meant with that comment, think they know the problem exists as they have already said its "internal reflection"

I still have a Nikon Pro account but they wont give me priority treatment as its a grey camera but will sort it regardless, not in any sort of rush to get it done, im a fair weather shooter

first noticed something wrong here http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/p360284659/h247cca2e#h247cca2e on left side and to a lesser extent here upper left http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/p360284659/h247cca2e#h2a5bc0dd

got some good samples on main computer and will post later

Yours seems like an extreme example by the looks of it as its not like youre shooting into a harsh backlight. Don't get me wrong, no camera is perfect and the shooting conditions that seem to show this symptom up will cause any camera bother. Over at fredmiranda theyre saying it was the early batches just, were you an early adopter Gary ?

Back