Nikon D750 & D780

Thanks minnnt, that's my favourite too. I tried the 70-200 for the first time there, it seem to help deal with the shadows better. Normally I've gone with a wide angle but it's hard to deal with the deep shadows when the sunset disappears before sunset.
Why would a different lens deal with shadows better?

What do you mean hard to deal with them mate? Embrace them and put the emphasis on the lit peaks. 70-200 is brilliant for landscapes imo.
Its hard to explain, I like how the shadows and light contrasts on the scree when isolated with a long lens. The view towards Scafell Pike at Wast Water is northwards so Yewbarrow on the west side is in deep shadow, the scree on the left catches the light. With a wide angle near sunset around 2/3rds of the frame is dark with no contrast whereas the scree is lit up. The 70-200 is definitely underrated as a landscape lens, everyone seems to thing wide angle is the way to go.

Its hard to explain, I like how the shadows and light contrasts on the scree when isolated with a long lens. The view towards Scafell Pike at Wast Water is northwards so Yewbarrow on the west side is in deep shadow, the scree on the left catches the light. With a wide angle near sunset around 2/3rds of the frame is dark with no contrast whereas the scree is lit up. The 70-200 is definitely underrated as a landscape lens, everyone seems to thing wide angle is the way to go.

I've learned that the longer focal lengths can really add a lot more drama.

Why would a different lens deal with shadows better?
What I mean is the longer lens allows you to isolate a more interesting area of shadow and light. A wide angle would capture more of the frame that's in deep shadow and reduce the size of the interesting light area in the frame. There is no difference in the capture of shadows by a long lens and a wide angle, just that less of the frame is covered by uninteresting deep shadows/light.

Last edited:
What mean is the longer lens allows you to isolate a more interesting area of shadow and light. A wide angle would capture more of the frame that's in deep shadow and reduce the size of the interesting light area in the frame.
Ahh I see what you mean now (y)

I've learned that the longer focal lengths can really add a lot more drama.
Yep, I often take out a telephoto when shooting landscapes and can give you some great shots (y) This is another reason I opted for the 24-120 over the 24-70. Ok so not quite in the telephoto end but still enough to isolate certain areas.

I'm looking forward to seeing what detail i can pick out at 510mm with the D300. Ha.
Should be good. There's some city skyline shots I've got in mind with my 150-600 (@550),... if I ever get the time. I think it'd be useful on Win Hill too.

Do you have any with the wide angle?

Most of the wide ones I already binned, I've found this one that kind of shows what I mean (sorry its not really sharp enough for sharing, probably should have been binned too!). This was taken at 66mm, if it was 24mm it would have a lot more uninteresting shadow area to the left on Yewbarrow. Its also a quick edit so come be better.

Wast Water
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Most of the wide ones I already binned, I've found this one that kind of shows what I mean (sorry its not really sharp enough for sharing, probably should have been binned too!). This was taken at 66mm, if it was 24mm it would have a lot more uninteresting shadow area to the left on Yewbarrow. Its also a quick edit so come be better.

Wast Water
by Rob Cain, on Flickr
I actually really like that and think the large shadows with just the odd patch of light works really well. I like how there's just a hint of a kind of rainbow on the cast light on the right.

Nice rob. Like the first especially.

@f/2.8 i never really found the D7k wanting with regards to AF tbh but i know it was a hot topic amongst the masses.

I have had a couple of D7k's and a D300. The D300 a.f was much better.

what a brilliant thread. Going to take me a while to read through it all! I ordered a D750 last night from Wex with next day delivery and currently sat in waiting on the delivery!!!

I went for the Meike grip, 50mm f1.8 and the 16-35mm f4.

Cannot wait to try it.

Is the wifi really as rubbish as some people say it is? I just need it so I can see the viewfinder on my iphone when the camera is 6m up in the air on my elevated pole :)

what a brilliant thread. Going to take me a while to read through it all! I ordered a D750 last night from Wex with next day delivery and currently sat in waiting on the delivery!!!

Cannot wait to try it.

Is the wifi really as rubbish as some people say it is? I just need it so I can see the viewfinder on my iphone when the camera is 6m up in the air on my elevated pole :)

Awesome - congrats and welcome to the club. Or is that den of iniquity?

My vertical grip arrived today - a Neewer which is probably made in the same factory as yours. Works a treat and feels pretty good in the hand (oo-er). Only issue is the L-bracket which came with it doesn't really work properly when the grip's installed. Which pretty much defeats the purpose as if I want the L bracket it's because I'm shooting portrait - and therefore want the grip on?!?!?

The 50mm f/1.8 is a belting little lens. Did you go G or D? Although I'll be honest and say I can't bear to take the 85mm off right now - it just seems the right focal length for everything :)

I want to get wireless tethered shooting working on my PC with Lightroom. It's not easy but I think one or two people worldwide have managed it. So no, the wifi isn't exactly user-friendly (especially on Windows 8 which I have on my laptop!)

Anyone using a fisheye with their D750?
Not at the moment. Do you want to buy one? :D

_7502624.jpg

It's the Nikon 16mm. Still pondering getting rid.I don't use it much but nothing else does what a fish-eye does. And no doubt as soon as it goes I'll want to do that fish-eye thang again!

That's the kind of thing I'm after. If you choose to move it on I have £££'s waiting. I could do with being sorted by the middle of may. :)
I'm waiting on a 20/2.8 arriving to see if that will do me as a small, fast(ish) wide prime. If it does then there's a good chance the fishy lens will be up for grabs. And my 14-24 which I use even less than the fish-eye.

Appreciate every minute, they grow up so quickly, he's a bright little chap
He sure is - had his 3rd round of jabs on Monday, so he's been grouchy for most of the week but he's on the up. Loving every minute to be brutally honest!
Well caught. Our youngest in 10 1/2 months and started to crawl last night. Really no stopping them then!
Thanks - I can't wait for him to start crawling around - we've got a couple of small dogs, so it's going to be manic in our house!
What's the 15,000 post going to be?
\
It'd only be fitting if it was someone asking what screen protector to buy, or Rookies asking what lens he should get next! ;)

Cannot wait to try it.

The only thing I use wifi is to check images on an iPad later. You can view image and select which you would like to download

What screen protector?
Where is @rookies by the way?
Wasn't that what made up most of the other 14,999 posts?

What screen protector?
Where is @rookies by the way?
Am here why???

Am sitting in the corner since i have drove many people round the bends.. so though I keep quite for a while :)

Last edited:
Back