Nikon D750 & D780

Good to see people are still criticising what is one of Nikon's best cameras for years
I do hope thats not aimed at me as im not criticising it in anyway at all, its a great camera, the best ive owned including the D3S and D4, i just have a faulty one, it actually seems mine doesnt have whats being labelled "black bandit" or "internal reflection" but something totally different according to Nikon tech update today.

Im glad youve got a good one Gerard, you do have one dont you????

Last edited:
I had my D800 stolen and did consider the D750 as a replacement but went for the D810 instead. Very impressed with the D750 I borrowed for a week.

You get a 14 day no questions asked return or money back guarantee from the day of delivery

Thanks Gary,

In-case you missed it is she UK or HK based, just wondering how long to wait for a reply in-case of time differences?

Good to see people are still criticising what is one of Nikon's best cameras for years

what is wrong with an open discussion especially when guys are spending £1,300 to £2,000 ...... we are enthusiasts on here and if the thread helps just a few to make a decision that they are happy with then that's great

Reactions: BBR
Joe Turner commented without ever having used one. I had one for a week. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to say.

I haven't seen any criticism on here and I have been reading this thread since day one. There would appear to be a few quality issues with it (tell me a make / manufacture that doesn't ) but I don't know of a single example where someone haven't liked it.

what is wrong with an open discussion especially when guys are spending £1,300 to £2,000 ...... we are enthusiasts on here and if the thread helps just a few to make a decision that they are happy with then that's great

I have being following this thread with great interest, I think from the same perspective as yours Bill, to upgrade
from the D7100 for birding, Im almost convinced, but will follow this thread for a bit longer before buying.

Try saying nothing

Oh dear, oh dear.

I find it staggering you can't see the difference between someone making a judgement on quality without ever having touched the product and someone else who has trialled it for a week.

I haven't seen any criticism on here and I have been reading this thread since day one. There would appear to be a few quality issues with it (tell me a make / manufacture that doesn't ) but I don't know of a single example where someone haven't liked it.
Even after my issues ive still reccomended people buy it, mine has developed a fault, it wasn't bult with a fault.

Oh dear, oh dear.

I find it staggering you can't see the difference between someone making a judgement on quality without ever having touched the product and someone else who has trialled it for a week.

You had one for a week ? Why did you get rid ?

There has been loads of criticism. from the "it's not a d700 replacement" to "it's too small", then "the build quality is poor" and "I don't like the buttons". And this was before it was even in the shops!

I have being following this thread with great interest, I think from the same perspective as yours Bill, to upgrade
from the D7100 for birding, Im almost convinced, but will follow this thread for a bit longer before buying.

yep - I would like to try both for a month - the D750 and D810 ..... but with a budget of maybe £2k for my next spend .... I think that if I could I'd like a used D800/D800E for £1,000+ plus another pro lens.
I really like the feel of the D300/D700 and I always have ..... but with "birding shots" the 24MP on the "small" DX sensor really does allow you to get detail ......... for the type of images I (we) take, I'm not sure the D750 would improve the IQ/detail/sharpness that we strive for ...... at least a cropped 36MP image allows us to keep more pixel density on the image

My DSLR's spend most of their time on a tripod and I know that it is always said - but glass is the way to go - if I use my Nikon 300mm f2.8VR on my D300 I am more than satisfied

Last edited:
There has been loads of criticism. from the "it's not a d700 replacement" to "it's too small", then "the build quality is poor" and "I don't like the buttons". And this was before it was even in the shops!

They are probably all true ... but are valid observations

So let me get this right, you didn't like it in the shop and yet your purchased one ? I smell BS here. This brings me on to my second point, if you returned it what are you doing back here ?

A) to gloat ?
B) to say I told you so ?
C) to give us the benefit of your wisdom ?

So let me get this right, you didn't like it in the shop and yet your purchased one ? I smell BS here. This brings me on to my second point, if you returned it what are you doing back here ?

A) to gloat ?
B) to say I told you so ?
C) to give us the benefit of your wisdom ?

I think you need to re read what I said.

I was looking for a D800 replacement; in the end I got a D810. The D750, for the money, is bloody brilliant and excellent value.

Bloody hell ladies, did someone get out of bed on the wrong side today? If you read back inkiboo said he had borrowed one for a week, not bought and later returned one. I'd say a week is long enough to get a good feel for a camera, especially if you use it a lot in that week!

I think what we need to bring out a little more is what type of shooting you are interested in and why you want to replace what you have ..... and then what we feel is the suitable replacement ....... as I have said earlier ...... I am a little confused by the D610/D750/D810 line up as I feel that the D750 is a (very good) replacement for the D610 ............. but for many the D300 has never been replaced.

To my mind the D800 replaced the D700 ......... but also this buggering about with the AA filter in part and in total, (D750 v D810 v D7100), just confuses the situation more

Nikon seem to be playing a "marketing game" with a list of functions ...... allowing some for the D610, some for the D750 and some for the D810 ....... it would be far more simple if there was just a D750 and D810 and D5, (TBA)

Last edited:
Video from it is superb. Better even than the mk3. Dont get why Nikon don't include focus peaking though! :(

Fair one. I have a D750 and D810 and would suggest the build quality is the same but the difference in layout is only marginally different. In my experience a week is long enough to get used to any camera. In fact I switch regularly between the D810 / D750 and the transition is seamless.

Last edited:
Fair one. I have a D750 and D810 and would suggest the build quality is the same but the difference in layout is only marginally different. In my experience a week is long enough to get used to any camera. In fact I switch regular between the D810 / D750 and the transition is seamless.

Nick, perhaps you are well placed to comment on the differences in terms of what you use each for, i.e. why not 2 x D750 or 2 x D810?

Fair one. I have a D750 and D810 and would suggest the build quality is the same but the difference in layout is only marginally different. In my experience a week is long enough to get used to any camera. In fact I switch regular between the D810 / D750 and the transition is seamless.

I do find a confusion switching from the D300/D700 to the D7100 ........ that's tipping me towards a used D800 or new D810
I'm sure that both the D750 and D810 are technically very good, but handling is important when shooting instinctively

and I don't want to change the body every year when the next Nikon "whizz' is released ..... not because of the money but because that it seems pointless ....

Last edited:
Nick, perhaps you are well placed to comment on the differences in terms of what you use each for, i.e. why not 2 x D750 or 2 x D810?

With this combination I have the best of both worlds having a primary camera and a back up ( in no particular order). The D810 is a great GP camera, it's great for studio work and landscapes. The D750 is lightweight, I love the solid articulated LCD screen which is great for getting low to the ground and getting creative with, the WIFI is good and at a speed of 1/4000 that's ok for most things. I'm very much a GP jobbing photographer, I do portraits, weddings a bit of commercial work. To be honest if the D810 had an articulated screen and wifi (maybe the D820?) I would have two of those and forego the weight. That said the D750 is an excellent camera and a pleasure to use its lightweight and I'm enjoying it. Nikon have been very clever......

I do find a confusion switching from the D300/D700 to the D7100 ........ that's tipping me towards a used D800 or new D810
I'm sure that both the D750 and D810 are technically very good, but handling is important when shooting instinctively

and I don't want to change the body every year when the next Nikon "whizz' is released ..... not because of the money but because that it seems pointless ....

I totally agree with you, it's not easy making your mind up which way to go. It's a head or heart option. My advice is to choose the camera you are going to get the most benefit out of based on what you need to shoot. If it's landscapes, studio work, wildlife or even sport at a push then the D810 would be my recommendation. Anything else the D750 is more than adequate and an excellent choice. That said you can still get some great studio results with the D750. It all depends on tbd final resolution you need or where your images are going to end up.

Just to remind everyone, these were Joe's pearls of wisdom despite never actually using the camera:

Yeah the specs look good, btw the RAW buffer is only around 21 shots so that is pretty poor, The Duel SD is also a downside personally, its not a camera for me, not build well enough and body style is way to small for my liking...Take it your getting a D750? ;)

And yet we have posts from people who have actually used the D750 who say the build quality is great.

Care to take back your comment Joe or is it still "not build well enough" (sic)?

Interesting light leak on mine tonight but nothing I'm worried about. Just out of curiosity - not that I would ever use the combo in this way - I decided to see whether live view worked with my 85G, which it does, so no problem there as others have reported. I did however, notice that whilst out of focus there were very small light spots that were moving slightly out of sync when the body was moved. Once focus was attained they disappear, odd. There's Christmas tree lights around the room so wondered whether it was a little flare but didn't seem to be a flare issue but more internal like a reflection on the mirror. Changed lens and they are still there, whilst out of focus.

Like I said, all ok when in focus and it's the first sign I have noticed so I'm not unduly concerned, maybe under irregular conditions there could be a small issue?

I think I know what you're describing and it happens on every camera / fast aperture lens. Its hard to explain but I definitely think I know what you mean, especially with Xmas lights/tree bokeh

Video from it is superb. Better even than the mk3. Dont get why Nikon don't include focus peaking though! :(

Because that'll be included in the D760 and D820! By spreading out the release of "new features" they can make more people upgrade (and annoy us in the process).

Try a different camera, the weird bokeh happened whilst shooting with the tree in the background on 4 different bodies and a number of lenses

I may have only noticed it because I was using live view which I just wouldn't normally, indoors with fairy lights dotted about. They weren't that noticeable in the viewfinder. Haven't another camera to check.

Was shooting the lights out of focus earlier in the week and didn't see anything abnormal then and have done plenty of that over the years with other cameras. Wierd.

Last edited:
It's actually marketed as an enthusiasts camera and that's from Nikons own lips. That said you can make money from any camera, it's just that certain cameras are better suited to some jobs than others.

Back