Nikon D750 & D780

Well I managed to pick up my Sigma 85mm f1.4 tonight as the drop off point doesn't close til 10pm. First the good news, condition is so much better than I thought. It almost looks new, and it comes with all the caps, hoods and case. Now the bad news, it front focusses like a bugger, and AF doesn't work in liveview. With regards to the front focussing, AF fine tune makes little to no difference, something I've had with Sigmas and my D750 in the past. However, if I change the AF fine tune default setting (rather than saved value) +3 sorts it out. Default AF fine tune seems to make far more difference than "saved AF fine tune" as normally with this amount of front focussing would've expected +16 to +18.

So the questions are, why do we have two different types of AF fine tune, and will me changing the default effect all my other lenses. The fact it says default would suggest it'd affect all lenses, BUT reading the manual it says that it uses the default if no saved value for that lens is set, suggesting that it uses the "saved AF tune" setting first, if it doesn't have one then it'll use the default. As all my other lenses have some AF fine tune stored then I would assume that the default setting won't therefore affect these. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-06%20at%2020.12.02_zpsr0dkw35w.png

Next questions are, is it normal for it not to work with liveview? Would others accept this lens with the AF tune behaviour. My camera does cause front focus on most of my lenses, with the 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm being the worst at +18 and +16 respectively, but then I do have a couple that are +1 and +2.

Normally I wouldn't accept a lens like this, but if I can 'fudge it' to work (ie use default fine tune rather than saved fine tune) then it's an absolute steal, £380 for an almost mint Sigma 85mm f1.4 with 6M warranty.
OK, so digging around the t'interweb says that the saved setting overrides the default so it won't mess any of my other lenses up. I wonder why saved doesn't work on the sigma (nor the old 70-200mm f2.8 and new 70-200mm f2.8 that I tried), and why default makes much more of an adjustment than saved? :confused:o_O:confused:

Finally got out with the D750, got to try it out at the Navy Day Airshow at Shuttleworth. The was mainly blue sky and very warm. I find with aviation blue skies are the worst weather, I like a bit of cloud to give a little contrast. There D750 worked well, first time I've ever had buffer issues.

The star of the day was the opening by the Sea Vixen. An amazing aircraft considering it was built in the 1950's.

Sea Vixen
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Sea Vixen Power Away
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Sea Vixen
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Sea Vixen
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's the distance i managed to get in 20 seconds. Was gonna try the app but wasn't sure how far that would reach?

The helicopter is just out of sight then ;)

And your not even doubled over panting.... I've got a cheapo £20 Pixel rf remote that does lots of functions and is good to 100 meters.

Last edited:
The helicopter is just out of site then ;)

And your not even doubled over panting.... I've got a cheapo £20 Pixel rf remote that does lots of functions and is good to 100 meters.

It's the fastest i have run in about 20 years. I was absolutely ruined but had to suck it up (and the belly in) and get into the catalogue pose.

I have some with me a little closer but i think the sense of scale is shown better in this one.

The helicopter is just out of site then ;)

Yongnuo RF603NII are good cheap wireless triggers. They are supposed to work up to 100m, I haven't yet tried them that far away! They also have frequency channel selection, myself and a mate both used a pair to trigger cameras and there was no accidental triggering.

Last edited:
I will tell you the simplest way you can achieve this in the same way I do. Just download Microsoft Synctoy on your PC and create Folder pairs for backup and with just one click you can run backup anytime you wish.
It works in the background and you can use a method of backup for each folder pair. You can also run a backup on different drives ( one source multiple to destinations) just by adding a folder pair. Works like a charm.

Here's my setup -All sources in an external drive (primary source) is backed up as 'Echo' in another external drive. If I want, I can simply add another drive and copy the folder pair and run it overnight to have the same backup on another drive.

View attachment 66212

View attachment 66213

Downloaded this last night and it seems to be what I'm after. Just need some handy way of tidying up my 3 external hard drives now before I start as I know I have multiple copies of a lot of files on them.

Downloaded this last night and it seems to be what I'm after. Just need some handy way of tidying up my 3 external hard drives now before I start as I know I have multiple copies of a lot of files on them.
Great. I had to do something similar. I cleaned up all duplicated copies and folders across multiple drives using a program that finds duplicates easily across folders and drives. Then I started building the 3 main folder pairs
1. All DX images nested in subfolders by place/shoot name
2. All FX Images nested in subfolders by place/shoot name
3. All Edited image outputs nested in subfolders

Once that is done, all I do is run every week and a complete backup is taken. Will add a third drive now and create another backup version.

At times, I use the 'Preview All' just to ensure that the preview has no surprises and the run all. I can automate this, but the interface hardly takes two clicks.

Great. I had to do something similar. I cleaned up all duplicated copies and folders across multiple drives using a program that finds duplicates easily across folders and drives. Then I started building the 3 main folder pairs
1. All DX images nested in subfolders by place/shoot name
2. All FX Images nested in subfolders by place/shoot name
3. All Edited image outputs nested in subfolders

Once that is done, all I do is run every week and a complete backup is taken. Will add a third drive now and create another backup version.

At times, I use the 'Preview All' just to ensure that the preview has no surprises and the run all. I can automate this, but the interface hardly takes two clicks.

My though was to use Lightroom import to search all the external drive to see if there is any files there that aren't on my computers drive, then delete all photo files off the hard drives and start again.

My though was to use Lightroom import to search all the external drive to see if there is any files there that aren't on my computers drive, then delete all photo files off the hard drives and start again.
That will be fine I guess. I am not a regular LR user, so possibly did it the harder way.

With our first house purchase moving smoothly, I have cancelled my order of the Samyang 135 F2 to give me a bit more time with no GAS and spend money where it is needed. I will stick with what I have for the time being. Planning to move into our new home in July.

Hopefully, by the end of this year or early next year, a new 135 F2 will be released by one of the makers (Tamron, Sigma or Nikon). If not, will save gradually to buy a Nikon 200 F2 :D . That will also give me enough time to use whatI have and overcome perceived limitations in my own head.

The only lens I might pick-up in between is a 50 1.8 as they are cheap as chips for my food photography. Currently using 24-85 VR, but need bit more subject isolation with certain type of presentations. I know there are not not to many folks here who does food photography, but those who do, what lens do you use on full frame?

I will tell you the simplest way you can achieve this in the same way I do. Just download Microsoft Synctoy on your PC and create Folder pairs for backup and with just one click you can run backup anytime you wish.
It works in the background and you can use a method of backup for each folder pair. You can also run a backup on different drives ( one source multiple to destinations) just by adding a folder pair. Works like a charm.

Here's my setup -All sources in an external drive (primary source) is backed up as 'Echo' in another external drive. If I want, I can simply add another drive and copy the folder pair and run it overnight to have the same backup on another drive.

View attachment 66212

View attachment 66213

A big thanks for this information. I never knew of this programme before and have just downloaded it.

Seems straightforward so far and looks like it will do just what I need it to.

With our first house purchase moving smoothly, I have cancelled my order of the Samyang 135 F2 to give me a bit more time with no GAS and spend money where it is needed. I will stick with what I have for the time being. Planning to move into our new home in July.

Hopefully, by the end of this year or early next year, a new 135 F2 will be released by one of the makers (Tamron, Sigma or Nikon). If not, will save gradually to buy a Nikon 200 F2 :D . That will also give me enough time to use whatI have and overcome perceived limitations in my own head.

The only lens I might pick-up in between is a 50 1.8 as they are cheap as chips for my food photography. Currently using 24-85 VR, but need bit more subject isolation with certain type of presentations. I know there are not not to many folks here who does food photography, but those who do, what lens do you use on full frame?

You could ask Beth - she's a 5Dii shooter but would still be able to give you her view on what focal length works well...

You could ask Beth - she's a 5Dii shooter but would still be able to give you her view on what focal length works well...

I don't do food photography as such but I take quite a few at weddings (food, table decorations etc.). I tend to use a 50mm f/1.4 for those. :)

I don't do food photography as such but I take quite a few at weddings (food, table decorations etc.). I tend to use a 50mm f/1.4 for those. :)

Presumably you could use a longer f/l if you wanted though - you'll have the space to work?

For @anibap it might be more a question of the size of his shooting area for food stuff? If he doesn't have the space for an 85mm then that will dictate the lens... I would have thought the difference in compression between the focal lengths of say 50 and 85 would be fairly marginal for food?

Presumably you could use a longer f/l if you wanted though - you'll have the space to work?

For @anibap it might be more a question of the size of his shooting area for food stuff? If he doesn't have the space for an 85mm then that will dictate the lens... I would have thought the difference in compression between the focal lengths of say 50 and 85 would be fairly marginal for food?

A lot depends on the venue but generally, it's the 50mm I go for... The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG can be had for around £250 or less if you look around and the IQ is excellent.

A lot depends on the venue but generally, it's the 50mm I go for... The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG can be had for around £250 or less if you look around and the IQ is excellent.

That's good value isn't it, for such a lovely lens.

I have the 50mm 1.8D and I almost never get it on the camera. Even when I'm shooting landscape I'll have a trio of the 85mm (since it's usually on anyway), the 19-35mm and the 50mm just in case I want something in between. 75% is the 19-35 and 25% is the 85! I should also remember to take the 80-200 for sunset/moonrise shots but I always forget. However, the 50 cost me about £60 so it's relative non-use isn't a biggie.

Good luck :)

Bloody hate moving house, we moved 18 months ago and have been doing DIY and building work ever since!

I don't shoot food commercially, It is just a hobby of cooking and photographing food. I use the 24-85 VR with natural light or with SB700 and at 85mm, I can get close to the food. The 50mm will allow me to get images with a certain character that I cannot get from the 24-85 at 50mm even with the widest aperture of 4.2. Some are shot with the 85 1.8G

Some examples of what I shoot - Food

I don't shoot food commercially, It is just a hobby of cooking and photographing food. I use the 24-85 VR with natural light or with SB700 and at 85mm, I can get close to the food. The 50mm will allow me to get images with a certain character that I cannot get from the 24-85 at 50mm even with the widest aperture of 4.2. Some are shot with the 85 1.8G

Some examples of what I shoot - Food

Oh I do love food.

That's why we've been doing all the building work, some nob wanted a bigger kitchen.

Best one yet.
:rolleyes:
Stunning David.....!......which lens was used for that awesome capture ? Did your new Sigma 24mm arrive yet ?
Thanks Peter. It's the Vivitar 19-35mm. As for the 24mm... Well... Basically, no. I've cancelled the order today as they're a bunch of jokers. Will get the refund (probably wait 2 months for it to come heough!) and order from somewhere else... Although i could be tempted by a 16-35. :LOL:
STFU.

Thanks Peter. It's the Vivitar 19-35mm. As for the 24mm... Well... Basically, no. I've cancelled the order today as they're a bunch of jokers. Will get the refund (probably wait 2 months for it to come heough!) and order from somewhere else... Although i could be tempted by a 16-35. :LOL:

STFU.

What a bunch of cowboys!

I'm so bored of waiting for my camera back, you can only gaze at lenses for so long lol.

Has anyone had/used both the sigma and Nikon 35mm 1.4s?

STFU.
I've missed where you ordered from?

Back