Nikon D750 & D780

The people on here that say its a non issue are the same people I see have bought and upgraded to every new camera.

I say it's a non-issue...and I'm certainly not a serial upgrader, in fact this is the first time I've ever bought a new camera even vaguely close to its release.

Yes, the issue does exist, but that doesn't actually make it an issue. Remove the Internet from the equation and 99% of people would never know any different in 99.9999% of their photos. There are only so many (relatively speaking) examples of it because lots of people are specifically trying to replicate the precise issue. In terms of real world examples there are a handful at best, and this is from an extremely popular camera that already has a significant take up from wedding photographers etc shooting thousands of frames.

Hands down the D750 is the best camera I've ever owned, it's an amazing bit of kit, if I even lose one photo in the future due to the banding it will be significantly outweighed by the additional photos it's helped me to capture in conditions that other bodies stand little chance of achieving.

Hands down the D750 is the best camera I've ever owned, it's an amazing bit of kit, if I even lose one photo in the future due to the banding it will be significantly outweighed by the additional photos it's helped me to capture in conditions that other bodies stand little chance of achieving.

:agree:

Yes I'll be interested to hear some feedback from Gary. Frankly I was surprised at Nikon UK's ready acknowledgement that there is indeed an issue which is a characteristic of the design and not a production QA problem as has been bandied around. Quite a refreshing attitude but not very helpful to me.
My Nikon is as i previously mentioned DOES NOT suffer from "Black Bandit or Internal Reflection" like is mainly being discussed here but a totally unrelated issue

I wish it was then at least I would know I could get a defect free one by buying a UK model.But now?

But UK and US stock are also having the same 'issue' so I certainly wouldnt put it down to only grey imports.

Evidence points toward other makes/models doing exactly the same thing, as ukaskew said Ive also had loads of fantastic images from it already that my previous cameras really wouldve struggled with, so what do I then buy? A camera thats more expensive but offers me less in terms of AF and sensor performance? I think not.

I think the important thing to remember is that other cameras also do this. So are you going to wait till someone builds the perfect camera?

I saw the discussions about the flare & black banding when it first hit the Internet. After scouring the www for information I concluded it was (for me) a non-issue as I don't like flare in my images & I take steps to avoid it. I am not 'artistic' enough to take backlit photos, I am just an 'enthusiast' photographer who doesn't earn a living from taking pictures unlike some who may regard it as something that might cost them money. My 'grey' D750 has just arrived today (Christmas present) so I am looking forward giving it a workout in a few days time. One thing I won't be trying to do is reproduce the flare/banding issue!

As an aside, the Internet is a great place to scare yourself; search for almost any product you are considering buying & you will find horror stories abound........ people love rubbishing products & sharing their bad experiences. Quite often the biggest critics are people who don't own the products in question.

As an aside, the Internet is a great place to scare yourself; search for almost any product you are considering buying & you will find horror stories abound........ people love rubbishing products & sharing their bad experiences. Quite often the biggest critics are people who don't own the products in question.

Very true!

Some specific results on my D750:

20mm/1.8G - Hood off, slight band. Hood on, no problem
24mm/2.8D - No hood available. Very pronounced problem.
35mm/1.8G - Hood off, very bad. Hood on, CURES IT
50mm/1.8G - Hood off or on, very bad
85mm/1.8G - Hood off or on, quite pronounced
105mm/2.8G - Macro. Lens hood off or on, just visible. Hood makes no difference, and that's a deep hood.

My Df is perfect in any of these tests.

As the light source moves to left or right, the effect becomes less to the point that it disappears with the light at either corner. The width of the band varies from lens to lens and of course its visibility depends on the background.

These shots were taken using the lens wide open with shutter speeds from 1/20 to 1/80 and with a 50W 60mm diameter halogen light source just out of top of frame causing what I would call predictable flare. The band across the top becomes visible to a varying extent as outlined above and of course the contrast is especially visible in the flare area.

Of course these are not "real world" tests but are as close as I can get to a typical backlit situation. All of the images could only be salvaged by a crop off the top.

We could argue all day about varying test conditions, but personally it's very simple. I will be nervous about using this camera outside of the studio where I would be likely to find myself in a backlit situation. I don't normally view each and every image I take at the time. A glance at the histogram is good enough for me. If I have to examine each image, I'd prefer not to bother in the first place.

Nikon are not denying the defect, but of course avoid that word and simply state that it's a "characteristic" of the D750 design and can not be avoided.

D750Band-7500357.jpg

35mm/1.8G no hood

Sorry for yapping

I wish it was then at least I would know I could get a defect free one by buying a UK model.But now?
You could of course buy one aimed specifically for the home Japanese market, not a single faulty one in Japan apparently, nasty rumour has it that its something to do with the shape of orientals eyes and not being able to see the top of the frame anyway.

You could of course buy one aimed specifically for the home Japanese market, not a single faulty one in Japan apparently, nasty rumour has it that its something to do with the shape of orientals eyes and not being able to see the top of the frame anyway.
I guess that explains why I can't see any such issue with my D750 then. I'll thank my parents for that.

Some specific results on my D750:

20mm/1.8G - Hood off, slight band. Hood on, no problem
24mm/2.8D - No hood available. Very pronounced problem.
35mm/1.8G - Hood off, very bad. Hood on, CURES IT
50mm/1.8G - Hood off or on, very bad
85mm/1.8G - Hood off or on, quite pronounced
105mm/2.8G - Macro. Lens hood off or on, just visible. Hood makes no difference, and that's a deep hood.

My Df is perfect in any of these tests.

As the light source moves to left or right, the effect becomes less to the point that it disappears with the light at either corner. The width of the band varies from lens to lens and of course its visibility depends on the background.

These shots were taken using the lens wide open with shutter speeds from 1/20 to 1/80 and with a 50W 60mm diameter halogen light source just out of top of frame causing what I would call predictable flare. The band across the top becomes visible to a varying extent as outlined above and of course the contrast is especially visible in the flare area.

Of course these are not "real world" tests but are as close as I can get to a typical backlit situation. All of the images could only be salvaged by a crop off the top.

We could argue all day about varying test conditions, but personally it's very simple. I will be nervous about using this camera outside of the studio where I would be likely to find myself in a backlit situation. I don't normally view each and every image I take at the time. A glance at the histogram is good enough for me. If I have to examine each image, I'd prefer not to bother in the first place.

Nikon are not denying the defect, but of course avoid that word and simply state that it's a "characteristic" of the D750 design and can not be avoided.

D750Band-7500357.jpg

35mm/1.8G no hood

Sorry for yapping

Obviously some are feeling very 'protective' about their D750's on here but I have to say there are numerous comments and images on the 'net' showing this to be a genuine problem when the camera is used in certain circumstances. One pro wedding tog on another forum has been complaining not only of the way it affects his shooting of back-lit couples but of particular trouble when used for videoing of subjects moving into/through a back-lit setting, rendering the video useless.

Amen! Most of the people yapping here doesn't own the camera! Simple solution don't buy it !!!!!!!

As I said my issue is not with any issue it might have as I doubt it will affect me much, but the fallout that occurs due the the reports of an issue. I realy want to add one of these to my kit but will hold off for now & see how big it gets blown up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just logged into check the repair status and its now changed from "awaiting repair" to "repair in progress" but like i said above, mine isnt suffering from the above discussed issue.

Just logged into check the repair status and its now changed from "awaiting repair" to "repair in progress" but like i said above, mine isnt suffering from the above discussed issue.

How come Nikon UK agreed to fix yours Gary?

How come Nikon UK agreed to fix yours Gary?
Do you mean free or fix it because its a grey, if the former then I havent actually had 100% conformation they have yet, just someone from customer service saying it "should be" i havent had the usual repair quote through, doesnt matter either way as Panamoz have already say they will cover it regardless

Last edited:
Do you mean free or fix it because its a grey, if the former then I havent actually had 100% conformation they have yet, just someone from customer service saying it "should be" i havent had the usual repair quote through, doesnt matter either way as Panamoz have already say they will cover it regardless

Yes I'm confident Panamoz will see you okay, just wondered why Nikon had agreed to do it as normally it would have to go through a third-party such as Lehmann.

Obviously some are feeling very 'protective' about their D750's on here but I have to say there are numerous comments and images on the 'net' showing this to be a genuine problem when the camera is used in certain circumstances. One pro wedding tog on another forum has been complaining not only of the way it affects his shooting of back-lit couples but of particular trouble when used for videoing of subjects moving into/through a back-lit setting, rendering the video useless.
Could you let me know the forum. I'd be interested to see what he's found.

Yes I'm confident Panamoz will see you okay, just wondered why Nikon had agreed to do it as normally it would have to go through a third-party such as Lehmann.
Ah, Panamoz (Tina) asked me to send it direct to Nikon which i did and they were more than happy to take it even after i explained where it came from, Tina also told me its what Panamoz do now and have never had a single refusal from Nikon.

Ah, Panamoz (Tina) asked me to send it direct to Nikon which i did and they were more than happy to take it even after i explained where it came from, Tina also told me its what Panamoz do now and have never had a single refusal from Nikon.

Very, very interesting.

In what respect

In respect of Nikon taking grey equipment directly for warranty repair ... assuming it's being treated as a warranty repair, which I assumed. If it's not treated as a warranty repair then obviously it's down to you with Panamoz refunding?

In respect of Nikon taking grey equipment directly for warranty repair ... assuming it's being treated as a warranty repair, which I assumed. If it's not treated as a warranty repair then obviously it's down to you with Panamoz refunding?
I see, it is being treated as a warranty repair, i did question Tina about sending it direct to Nikon after i was once refused a repair on a grey camera and her reply was and i quote exactly from her email

Dear Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Actually we have not had any issue with this. For example, when the D810 was having an issue with early models, we asked our customers to go directly to Nikon, and they were all taken care of quickly. We have asked our customers to find Nikon UK for a long time and have not had any issue. Therefore, we don’t foresee any issue for your case either. I’m not sure why Nikon UK refused to help you before, we have not heard of this, and like we stated, we will pay for all work that needs to be done.

Should add hat Tina also says they pay up front on any work, you show the Nikon advice note and estimate and they pay you first before you pay Nikon

Last edited:
mine is a grey - and an early number - been trying to get the reflection thing but no luck . Tried it with 24-70 2.8 (Nikon) no hood; maybe the lens makes a difference ? ((shrug))

mine is a grey - and an early number - been trying to get the reflection thing but no luck . Tried it with 24-70 2.8 (Nikon) no hood; maybe the lens makes a difference ? ((shrug))

Lens does make a difference, easier with primes.

You make it sound like a bad thing that you haven't found that your camera has a problem. :thinking: :LOL:

I can see both sides of the matter, one side saying it's a mountain out of a mole hill. And some say a mole hill that may not even exist. :LOL:

On the other hand if there is a definite endemic design fault, or bad batch during manufacture, then it needs to be highlighted. In the past Nikon have ignored some very major problems until there was a critical mass of unhappy customers that they couldn't ignore, and were also very slow to admit to any problems. An attitude that has not done them any favours from a PR point of view.

If Nikon are sure there is nothing worse on the D750 than any other camera in the same situation, then they need to be going on the front foot and telling people, because up until this 'issue' everything was very positive from Nikon with a new camera. For a change. ;) :LOL:

Negativity gets more headlines/coverage than the positives because people expect their (especially expensive) purchases to work, and are not very happy when it doesn't. Those that are happy, and with no problems should be telling people, but don't dismiss any problems because you may not use the camera in that way. I remember those that had the D800 saying that they would never use the left hand focus points. :thinking: Those that have any problems should be telling people too. Only then can people make an informed decision whether to buy or not. :thinking:

Back