Nikon D750 & D780

A bit more of the moon

Waxing Gibbous Moon (DSC_1481)
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Edit: I'm getting a bit fed up with this site oversharpening my images (at least they are on my screen). What size image do people post from flickr to prevent this?

Last edited:
moon by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

I had a play quickly tonight.

Tc isnt the greatest for moon shots
Have you tried it without the TC? The TC is going to make things softer. Snerkler's image are without a TC so focal length shouldn't be too much of a proble

How do you find the TC with the 150-600? I've always thought you are better off cropping rather than use a TC on f5.6/f6.3 lenses due to the additional softness and loss of light. TCs were made for fast lenses like f2.8 and maybe f4, it seems manufacturers have worked out selling them to users beyond f2.8/f4 lenses. My experience has found TCs perform worse on f4 lenses compared to f2.8 lenses so never really thought of using them on f5.6/f6.3 lenses. It surprised me the difference between the same image taken with a TC and cropped. For web use there was much difference.

I only got it at the weekend. so it's the only chance I've had to play with it. due to work and weather.
I did notice tonight that it would lock on af through the viewfinder. yet on live view it did.
So I found af fine tune. played with that and managed to get it to lock on. whether this is a correct way of doing it I'm not sure.

I only got it at the weekend. so it's the only chance I've had to play with it. due to work and weather.
I did notice tonight that it would lock on af through the viewfinder. yet on live view it did.
So I found af fine tune. played with that and managed to get it to lock on. whether this is a correct way of doing it I'm not sure.
Not sure which it didn't lock on? However, fine tune does not affect the ability to lock on, just where the critical focus is. If you've messed about with it it might not be focussing where you expect and could also explain the softness of the image. Note though that fine tune does not affect focus using live view as live view is contrast detect.

Not sure which it didn't lock on? However, fine tune does not affect the ability to lock on, just where the critical focus is. If you've messed about with it it might not be focussing where you expect and could also explain the softness of the image. Note though that fine tune does not affect focus using live view as live view is contrast detect.
Oh yeah what a plonker
Thanks for reminding me I'm a numpty

Well I'm just about recovered from my first royal tour.... 3000 photos taken over three days with Charles and Camilla to trawl through now :(

If anyones interested in seeing how the D750 fairs as a press-type camera, let me know and I'll post up a few shots and some thoughts on the shoot.

Last edited:
Anyone used/own a Benro Tripod?

Looking at the Travel Angel to possibly replace my Manfrotto.

I'm not 100% sure on QR from Manfrotto, I'm still using it for now, but maybe ARCA is a better option.

Of course I could just change my ball head and keep the legs, but I do like the thought of using one of the legs as a monopod.

http://www.benroeu.com/products/benro-fta29cv1.aspx

Any other small travel suggestions with ARCA that I can look at too?

I'm not 100% sure on QR from Manfrotto, I'm still using it for now, but maybe ARCA is a better option.

Of course I could just change my ball head and keep the legs, but I do like the thought of using one of the legs as a monopod.

If you're happy to buy separate legs and head then I can recommend the Velbon Ultra Rexi L as a very small lightweight tripod, but also tall enough for someone like me at 6'4" (y)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFyf_UdVLY

No idea what your budget is, but if you want lightweight that definitely doesn't compromise on sturdy etc then feisol are hard to beat http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html - 4 section cf 'pod that is very stable (I have the 3 section version) they do a variety of ball heads too. But those legs only weigh 1.1 Kg ... the 3 only weighs 1 kg ...

Not a dig at benro as I've no experience of them, but the feisol are better than the 'frotto cf 'pods (I've had these both alu and cf).

Looks tiny! My Manfrotto is quite small, but that one looks tiny! Seems its been replaced by the Ultra series now?

I will give the Manfrotto ball head another go this weekend and decide from there.

No idea what your budget is, but if you want lightweight that definitely doesn't compromise on sturdy etc then feisol are hard to beat http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html - 4 section cf 'pod that is very stable (I have the 3 section version) they do a variety of ball heads too. But those legs only weigh 1.1 Kg ... the 3 only weighs 1 kg ...

Not a dig at benro as I've no experience of them, but the feisol are better than the 'frotto cf 'pods (I've had these both alu and cf).

My Manfrotto weighs in at 1.3KG legs and 0.5KG for the head.

Its more about the head I think. But having OCD I do like a matching leg/head set (sad face insert here).

Its more about the head I think. But having OCD I do like a matching leg/head set (sad face insert here).
yep, you can get feisol heads too, I have the CB-40 and it's fine (and still weighs less than your 'frotto combo ;)) - they come with arca type plates btw.

I have everything set so it's compatible with the RC2 quick release, and even have the RC2 plate for my peak design slide (y)

Does anyone shoot video on their D750???

I'm considering making some short films as a personal project and wondered if anyone had any tips? I was on the verge of picking up a small RX100 Mk? for ease but if I can work with what I've got and save some money I'd rather do that.

Video on a DSLR does seem more of a faf though?

Last edited:

I'm considering making some short films as a personal project and wondered if anyone had any tips? I was on the verge of picking up a small RX100 Mk? for ease but if I can work with what I've got and save some money I'd rather do that.

I couldn't find the video option on my Df... :whistle:

In all honesty, if i were you I'd get the RX100. A lot of youtubers use one for their relative ease of use and good IQ.

I hardly ever use it as unless you are manually focusing the internal mics pic up on the zoom motor noise from the lens which you can hear on playback.

I couldn't find the video option on my Df... :whistle:

In all honesty, if i were you I'd get the RX100. A lot of youtubers use one for their relative ease of use and good IQ.

Yeah I think it would be much easier with a dedicated video compact. I just fancy making some short films of our holidays and Louis growing up and think the D750 would frustrate the hell out of me.

So compact! Still pretty sturdy? Makes my compact Manforro look huge! What width is the base?
Not sure on the width of the base, can measure it over the weekend if you like? It's sturdy enough to hold my D750 and Tamron 150-600mm for the moon shots I've been posting recently, although there is noticeably flex if you start to use this combo with the legs in the wide position (confident it wouldn't break though). With the D750 + 24-120mm or 18-35mm I have no hesitation in using it in any setting, although I do tend to use it without the centre column raised for that extra bit of stability, that's why the flip screen of the D750 is so good for me. That being said, if you're under 6ft I'd have thought looking through the viewfinder isn't an issue without the centre column extended. The ingenious leg locking/unlocking is a godsend imo. Also, you can unscrew the bottom of the centre column allowing you to get really close to the ground, and can also turn it upside down if you so wish.

I have the rx100 mk3 I think it is.

I used he video only a handful of times. most recently in disneyland paris.
Played it back on the 47" lg tv and I must say I was rather impressed with the quality my video skills weren't so good.
I did get a different sd card for it so I could use the higher quality video settings ( my mind has gone blank on technical settings sorry) .
I'll try and edit a bit over the weekend and post it on the rx100 forum.
I was going to post ages ago about the mic and motor noise but thought it was a stupid comment at the time.
(Mind you I've posted worse)

I had a benro travel angel, and whilst it's a cracking bit of kit for lightweight travelling option, they're still a compromise, as will any compact version be. I just didn't use it so sold.

Done a little bit of video with mine and it's ok. I'm certainly no expert with video but it seems fine for general similar stuff I want of it Adam. Can't be bothered to buy something else for the purpose really.

I'm going to try the manfrotto again this weekend and see if its small enough to fit in my case as just realised the Benro is actually slightly longer when I thought it was shorter lol

I have a Travel Angel, and bought the B1 ballhead at the same time. Doubtless it's a compromise, but I still think it was very good value. Carrying it around for a day is no problem at all, and it has to get really windy before I feel the need to take extra measures to steady it (like holding it down with my hand, on one occasion, but the wind was almost pushing me backwards!). If money is no object then I'm sure you can do better, but if you're looking for a decent tripod at modest cost, it should be a strong contender.

Here's another shot from me, taken this morning at silly o/clock, no work today but still wanted to get out early, strange things these cameras make us do [emoji37]
Not really finished with PP work but there ya go. 1478942034903.jpg

Here's another shot from me, taken this morning at silly o/clock, no work today but still wanted to get out early, strange things these cameras make us do [emoji37]
Not really finished with PP work but there ya go. View attachment 77222
I like the colours, is the vignette intentional or are you removing it in the further processing? It's quite dark and moody for a sunrise but at least you got a sunrise, it's just very wet where I am.

I like the colours, is the vignette intentional or are you removing it in the further processing? It's quite dark and moody for a sunrise but at least you got a sunrise, it's just very wet where I am.
The lens was the new IRIX 15mm with a massive 95mm filter ring, I only have a UV on at the moment, I guess that it's this that gives the vignettting but maybe it's possible to remove it in camera settings. Over 300 days of clear skies here each year and I'm luvin it [emoji12] [emoji41]
Is the overall shot dark?

Back