Nikon D750 & D780

Thank you Nick,

I presume if I had used f8 it would have been better.

I was using the Tamron 28-75 at 1/200ths, F6.3, ISO 100, 60mm. I focused on the eye and re composed so that the focus was just above the left hand that is on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Thank you Nick,

I was using the Tamron 28-75 at 1/200ths, F6.3, ISO 100, 60mm. I focused on the eye and re composed so that the focus was just above the left hand that is on the shoulder.

Yep, that would do the job nicely for you. [emoji106]

I still need to improve my colour post processing, I've found a style of B&W that I like.

I'm the same really. Finally think I've settled on a B&W that I love. Was going down the too faded route really. Think for the odd wedding I've settled on Portra for now.

Thank you Nick,

I usually shoot f/9-f/11 in the studio. There is a school of thought that you should use the power of your studio heads so that you have no ambient at all so that the light from the studio head is nice and crisp. Colour temp is also more consistent at the mid-high end of the power.

I usually shoot f/9-f/11 in the studio. There is a school of thought that you should use the power of your studio heads so that you have no ambient at all so that the light from the studio head is nice and crisp. Colour temp is also more consistent at the mid-high end of the power.

f/9 - f/11 (or any aperture) is not going to control the ambient light with flash photography.

It is the shutter speed that controls the ambient light , not the aperture. The slower the shutter speed, the more ambient light will be recorded. Try shooting two exposures one at f/11 at 1/250s and one at f/11 at 1/30s and you will see that by keeping the aperture the same on both exposures and reducing the speed the ambient light will increase.

The aperture controls the amount of flash falling on the subject. The larger the aperture the more light will fall on the subject. Conversely a smaller aperture will reduce the flash illumination on the subject. Hope that helps.

f/9 - f/11 (or any aperture) is not going to control the ambient light with flash photography.

It is the shutter speed that controls the ambient light , not the aperture. The slower the shutter speed, the more ambient light will be recorded. Try shooting two exposures one at f/11 at 1/250s and one at f/11 at 1/30s and you will see that by keeping the aperture the same on both exposures and reducing the speed the ambient light will increase.

The aperture controls the amount of flash falling on the subject. The larger the aperture the more light will fall on the subject. Conversely a smaller aperture will reduce the flash illumination on the subject. Hope that helps.
This is said a lot, and it's a useful rule to learn that aperture controls the light from the flash and shutter the ambient and it's the rule I tend to use and is especially useful for HSS, but unfortunately it's not always quite as straight forward as that. You can still underexpose the image using aperture and then ramp up the flash (within reason) to compensate.

Last edited:
This is said a lot, and it's a useful rule to learn that aperture controls the light from the flash and shutter the ambient and it's the rule I tend to use and is especially useful for HSS, but unfortunately it's not always quite as straight forward as that. You can still underexpose the image using aperture and then ramp up the flash to compensate.

To me, It's extremely straightforward and also basic physics. It's the power of the flash and distance that effects the exposure. The inverse square law has served me well for many years. This is the starting point for any flash photography. Balancing the flash with ambient light and flash exposure compensation are just a continuum of the process when required depending on the subject. I also find a flash meter extremely useful for precision lighting.

It's been a while since I've been out with the D750 but I took it out a few days ago when it was foggy to get some misty moody shots. I noticed a few spots on the images so investigated a bit more and found this :eek:

Dirty sensor by Lee Francis, on Flickr

The racket blower doesn't budge it and it's the same pattern with different lens. I've looked back at some old photos and the spots are there too. I only noticed them when I was deliberately really heavy handed with the processing.

Anyone seen anything like this? I'm not keen on sending it away really but I am up for getting some cleaning fluid and performing a DIY wet sensor clean but I'm not sure of which cleaning solution is the one to for. Opinions please?

Many thanks and Happy New Year

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've been out with the D750 but I took it out a few days ago when it was foggy to get some misty moody shots. I noticed a few spots on the images so investigated a bit more and found this :eek:

The racket blower doesn't budge it and it's the same pattern with different lens. I've looked back at some old photos and the spots are there too. I only noticed them when I was deliberately really heavy handed with the processing.

Anyone seen anything like this? I'm not keen on sending it away really but I am up for getting some cleaning fluid and performing a DIY wet sensor clean but I'm not sure of which cleaning solution is the one to for. Opinions please?

Many thanks and Happy New Year :)
Yep, my first D750 sensor looked like this in the past. Rocket blower and sensorklear pen did the trick eventually.

Many thanks and Happy New Year :)

Dayum that`s one grubby sensor :eek:

Think I`m gonna chop in my Tamron 150-600, as I hardly use it (and am crap at wildlife). Starting to miss 85mm too :banghead:

I'm the same really. Finally think I've settled on a B&W that I love. Was going down the too faded route really. Think for the odd wedding I've settled on Portra for now.

I just convert using the camera profile in LR, set exposure add contrast then lift the blacks a touch, and if I'm feeling adventurous I may bring back the highlights a smidge.

A la:

James & Caroline II by Tim G, on Flickr

Got the cake by Tim G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Think I`m gonna chop in my Tamron 150-600, as I hardly use it (and am crap at wildlife). Starting to miss 85mm too :banghead:
I've been thinking about picking up a 150-600...

Although I've got a couple of lenses I want to swap out.

I want something wide, maybe 16mm, and the 28in f1.8.

Just don't get on with the 24 art

I've been thinking about picking up a 150-600...

Although I've got a couple of lenses I want to swap out.

I want something wide, maybe 16mm, and the 28in f1.8.

Just don't get on with the 24 art

Well MPB has offered me £410 (inc collection) for just the lens. But I have camo for it and a lowepro bag (which fits perfectly) ...
The sigma art 20mm is nice ;) I have the same sort of thing with 50mm`s ... and I`ve had four of those :D

It's probably my most used lens, even though I'm crap at wildlife too :LOL: I just enjoy it and that's all that matters (y)

It's probably my most used lens, even though I'm crap at wildlife too :LOL: I just enjoy it and that's all that matters (y)

Haha you`re a damn sight better than I am, Toby. But I agree that if you enjoy it, it is all that matters :)

I just convert using the camera profile in LR, set exposure add contrast then lift the blacks a touch, and if I'm feeling adventurous I may bring back the highlights a smidge.

A la:

James & Caroline II by Tim G, on Flickr

Got the cake by Tim G, on Flickr

Cool. Mines a tweak of a VSCO preset. Love the ceremony shots with it. I'll share when they've seen them. There's a deep black and a slightly more faded version I've finally settled on, it's almost been a labour of love ha!

Last edited:
Just ordered a new monitor (Dell U2515H) - can anyone recommend software/hardware to calibrate it? Does it even need it?

@minnnt - is this the one you've got?

Just ordered a new monitor (Dell U2515H) - can anyone recommend software/hardware to calibrate it? Does it even need it?

X-rite i1display Pro.

I use color munki display, but I reckon they're much the much ;)

That's the 25" model, i have the 27". Great monitors. The quality is incredible. I haven't calibrated mine.
Cheers. Looking at the price of the kit to calibrate , don't think I'll bother for now. See how it fairs out the box.

Cheers for the suggestions though, gents! :D

Well MPB has offered me £410 (inc collection) for just the lens. But I have camo for it and a lowepro bag (which fits perfectly) ...
The sigma art 20mm is nice ;) I have the same sort of thing with 50mm`s ... and I`ve had four of those :D
Geez, the price has dropped faster than a stone out of water.

Geez, the price has dropped faster than a stone out of water.
I did think that when I saw that price. I did think about offering 450 just to see what it compared like to my sigma. But it's tamron so I can't haha

I've never calibrated a monitor yet so perhaps I'm missing a trick but I've always found it fine.

Does your computer support 2k (1440p) resolution?
I built it only a couple of months ago, so I hope so! :runaway:It's got a GTX 970 graphics card, so should be al'reet?

Cue one or the other being up for sale in few days if it doesn't. ;)

I had few issues with the display port setting up. But i think that was more user error

While most of the IPS screens comes with OOB good colour accuracy, calibration is still recommended.

I calibrated mine using X-rite i1 Display pro. I just rented it from Calumet at £13 for a weekend rental and calibrated all my displays at one go.

Back