Nikon D750 & D780

Having problems updating firmware. Never had an issue before and I suspect it's pilot error.

I've downloaded the update to my SD card, placed it in my camera and entered Firmware Version, but 'Update' isn't there.

I have version 1.01 currently.

Any advice?

Cheers.

no problems here.

Forgive me for asking, but did you extract the .bin file from the .exe and not put the .exe on the card?

other than that, i used a blank card in slot 1.

I had a problem updating with a Sandisk card and when I changed to a cheap PNY it was fine. The file was showing on card but the camera wasn't recognizing it.

Went for a walk with the dogs today and took the camera with 24-120 f4 out for the first time. Sun was out and I took a couple of piccys

Allan

Last edited:
Just the D7200, D750, 18-200vr, 70-300VR, 24-120 ƒ4, Siggy 150-500, an X30 and an XF1.
Though the 7200 might be up for sale soon, I quite fancy a 70-200vr and a York Multigym...........

Allan

If it helps, I've uploaded the new firmware to my D750 (with fine tuned lenses) and it has kept the values etc.

Yeah not worried about it keeping the values but if the a.f has been changed in any way by the new firmware it renders the adjustments I have made using fine tune useless which means sitting down and doing them all again which would be a real bummer as they are all absolutely perfect at the moment but took a bit of fiddling to get right.

Just the D7200, D750, 18-200vr, 70-300VR, 24-120 ƒ4, Siggy 150-500, an X30 and an XF1.
Though the 7200 might be up for sale soon, I quite fancy a 70-200vr and a York Multigym...........

Allan
Why you selling the D7200 so soon?

Why you selling the D7200 so soon?
So impressed with the D750 and I only really need 1 body. It will free up a bit of cash to buy other stuff, like lenses.
We are currently renovating a house and everything seems to cost a lot more than expected, my photography budget may become seriously compromised!

Yeah not worried about it keeping the values but if the a.f has been changed in any way by the new firmware it renders the adjustments I have made using fine tune useless which means sitting down and doing them all again which would be a real bummer as they are all absolutely perfect at the moment but took a bit of fiddling to get right.
Well if it also helps, my Tamron 28-75 front focussing like crazy by the same amount before and after!

Well if it also helps, my Tamron 28-75 front focussing like crazy by the same amount before and after!

Cheers Stu might just run it and hope for the best if it goes tits up will just have to tune again. It's unfortunate that for whatever reason Nikon are refusing to reveal what changes have actually been made.

Love it when reviewers judge a camera before theyve even had a hands on, just because they wanted a D300 replacement and Nikon never gave it to them. From what I can tell the D750 is selling incredibly well so its definitely a camera people want. D7200 seems a decent upgrade over the D7100.

Last edited:
Love it when reviewers judge a camera before theyve even had a hands on, just because they wanted a D300 replacement and Nikon never gave it to them. From what I can tell the D750 is selling incredibly well so its definitely a camera people want.

I don't think that the D750, (after using it), is much different from any other Nikon "latest" body ......... it is just the newest .......... the main difference for me is the UI

D610/D7100/D750
v
D700/D4S/D810

and Nikon no longer produce, (have decided not to), a DX body with the "pro" UI of the D300/D700 ....... which I have always preferred ........ but that is just my preference
Handling is important
It is a pity that the D7200 just seems to be a tweaked D7100 ......... but I'll have to get one to find out

The maximum shutter speed of 1/4000th sec is a bit of an unnecessary saving on the D750, IMHO - I shoot a lots of birds at f2.8

Last edited:
It is a pity that the D7200 just seems to be a tweaked D7100

Whilst, to a degree that is true, the 'tweak' to upgraded AF was definitely worth it for me :)

I gave up waiting for a pro DX camera to replace the D300/s, and while even the D750 doesn't completely replace that feel/type for me, it's 99% there which means I am more than happy with it. I came via the D610 which is a great camera in lots of of ways (IQ especially), when you have upgraded from a D300/s it did feel like a downgrade.

For fun yesterday, I mucked around with owls in flight and stunned how the AF could keep up with them etc. My inexperience with birds meant I didn't always use the right settings but was good to try it. Hat off to you birders, I don't have the patience!

Just wished Nikon had released the D750 last summer when I bought my D610 - never mind! :)

I don't think that the D750, (after using it), is much different from any other Nikon "latest" body ......... it is just the newest .......... the main difference for me is the UI

D610/D7100/D750
v
D700/D4S/D810

and Nikon no longer produce, (have decided not to), a DX body with the "pro" UI of the D300/D700 ....... which I have always preferred ........ but that is just my preference
Handling is important
It is a pity that the D7200 just seems to be a tweaked D7100 ......... but I'll have to get one to find out

The maximum shutter speed of 1/4000th sec is a bit of an unnecessary saving on the D750, IMHO - I shoot a lots of birds at f2.8

I dont think thats a bad thing, they took good bits from the rest of the FX lineup and crammed it into a small/light body. So its more of a frankenstein than more of the same for me and Im very glad they made it, because for me its pretty much perfect.

Most cameras are just a tweak of the previous version, but the tweaks add up to a camera worth having over the previous. D7200, they addressed previous complaints and added more upgrades. Better sensor, better processor, bigger buffer, wireless, much improved AF, better battery life and better movie mode (if youre into video which a few are). So theres a fair bit there worth the upgrade. Birders seem to get fantastic results using it.

Last edited:
Having problems updating firmware. Never had an issue before and I suspect it's pilot error.

I've downloaded the update to my SD card, placed it in my camera and entered Firmware Version, but 'Update' isn't there.

I have version 1.01 currently.

Any advice?

Cheers.
Make sure the .BIN file isn't in the DCIM folder, or any other for that matter. The camera won't see it otherwise and show the update option. It needs to be at the top level so to speak.

Make sure the .BIN file isn't in the DCIM folder, or any other for that matter. The camera won't see it otherwise and show the update option. It needs to be at the top level so to speak.

Yup, freshly in camera formatted card, file in root. Menus seem to be a little snappier to me.

After 2 months waiting for the camera (sold out everywhere in Portugal, Spain, France, Netherland... due to the recall - flare issue) I finally got mine yesterday.
I only had the chance to take a few shots inside the shop, just to make sure it worked.
Today I charged the battery, ran the serial number just in case (everything should be fine with my unit according to Nikon), updated the firmware of my camera for the fist time in any of my cameras and everything went smooth. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to finally test it.

After 2 months waiting for the camera (sold out everywhere in Portugal, Spain, France, Netherland... due to the recall - flare issue) I finally got mine yesterday.
I only had the chance to take a few shots inside the shop, just to make sure it worked.
Today I charged the battery, ran the serial number just in case (everything should be fine with my unit according to Nikon), updated the firmware of my camera for the fist time in any of my cameras and everything went smooth. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to finally test it.

Woah, long wait, congrats. It's a great camera and will be worth it.

Received the camera and only managed to have a quick play with it but my initial feelings are that it is a worthwhile investment and upgrade. The thing is an ISO monster and the lighter body feels glued to the hand with the heavy pro lenses. The menus are also so responsive and quick and the button layouts are quick and easy to access and change compared to my previous D800.

Which flash would you guys recommend? Yongnuo 568? Meike 910 or the SB-700? Would be used for indoor shoots of people and small events.

I was looking for a small bag and came across this one the Passport Sling III Anyone have experience with this bag?

Has anyone traded in their Nikon 24-70 for a Tamron 24-70? Having discovered VR/VC I am liking the results for video and thing could be handy for handheld stuff. Worried I may be giving up on build quality and sharpness? Also tempted with the Tamron 70-200 VC offering. I have heard lots of horror stories about build quality and even Panamoz won't stock it?

Received the camera and only managed to have a quick play with it but my initial feelings are that it is a worthwhile investment and upgrade. The thing is an ISO monster and the lighter body feels glued to the hand with the heavy pro lenses. The menus are also so responsive and quick and the button layouts are quick and easy to access and change compared to my previous D800.

Which flash would you guys recommend? Yongnuo 568? Meike 910 or the SB-700? Would be used for indoor shoots of people and small events.

I was looking for a small bag and came across this one the Passport Sling III Anyone have experience with this bag?

Has anyone traded in their Nikon 24-70 for a Tamron 24-70? Having discovered VR/VC I am liking the results for video and thing could be handy for handheld stuff. Worried I may be giving up on build quality and sharpness? Also tempted with the Tamron 70-200 VC offering. I have heard lots of horror stories about build quality and even Panamoz won't stock it?

Congrats! I have the Passport Sling II (and had the I) it was a great bag for holidays and I think the III also had a space for a tablet which is handy.

I have the Tamron 24-70 f2.8, I've never had the Nikon but I can't see how it can be much if any better for the extra cost the VC is really good, Build has been fine on the two I've had and it does have a 5 year warrant if there are issues.

So i did this REALLY dumb thing...

I typed in 'Nikon D750 Flickr' into Google...

Is this where the GAS goes into overtime?

Sigh... :facepalm:
I've been getting lots of hits recently on flickr for the tag "Nikon d750" etc, is this you?? Haha.

D750 - it's a very good body at a great price - if you are a Nikon user it's a no brainer

I took my D750 for it's first foray after fast jets today in the Mach Loop... It performed faultlessly! :)

Ironically, while I was up there the postman delivered my new D7200. :D

Back