Nikon D750 & D780

I've been tempted by the 24 Art its meant to be a cracking lens but I'm still not fully sold on a full move to primes only (which I'd need to do to afford them by selling the 24-70).

Right now I've got the 28 f1.8,50 f1.8 ,85 f1.8 & 70-200 f4 along with the Tamron 24-70.

I'm minded to move on the 28 and 50 to fund a new Sigma 35mm (used one went back) - but I could also do with a wide angle for my holiday in July... might just keep the 28 for now for the holiday and add a 20mm f1.8

I was planning on getting the 24-70, but looking through Lightroom, all of the photos I like most are shot on primes, typically at F2.2 or wider on my F1.8s (I tend to stop down just to get a little more sharpness rather than any more DOF). So have decided to just go with primes plus my 70-200 F2.8.

For holiday, I just took the 35mm F1.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and a 2x TC

I was planning on getting the 24-70, but looking through Lightroom, all of the photos I like most are shot on primes, typically at F2.2 or wider on my F1.8s (I tend to stop down just to get a little more sharpness rather than any more DOF). So have decided to just go with primes plus my 70-200 F2.8.

I'm contemplating the 2x TC (TC-20e III), is this what you have and in the real world how much does it reduce sharpness? Is it noticeable for pixel peepers only or more noticeable than that?

I'm contemplating the 2x TC (TC-20e III), is this what you have and in the real world how much does it reduce sharpness? Is it noticeable for pixel peepers only or more noticeable than that?

Mine's the Sigma TC and Sigma 70-200 and it served it's purpose on holiday, which is the only time I'll be using the TC to be honest.

These pics are at "400", but they're also resized as well I think. At work at the moment, so don't have the full files.

_ADP8695 by Andy Dane, on Flickr

_ADP8784 by Andy Dane, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask anyone here who's moved from a D700/800 how you find the ergonomics of the D750?

I had a D600 for a while and never got on with it, but I'm seriously contemplating a D750 as they seem insanely good for the price.

It's okay for me not as good as the D700/D8XX etc. but not as bad as I first thought. I was originally going to send back my D750 as I much preferred the layout on the older bigger bodies. After a few weeks I got used to it though and it's fine now.

I've been temped to shift my d800e for a d750 but this is the main thing thats put me off, i know a lot didn't seem to like the handling of the d800.. maybe its my small girly hands but i find it fine even after hours of holding it.
then its the lack of af on button and 1/4000 limit. i know most say its not an issue and its probably not 90% of the time, but on holiday I noticed i hit 1/8000 at 1.4 plenty of times on my 35mm and its still over exposed a few. 1/4000 would be for sure.
are the buttons around the lens easily reached still,i had read they had been moved slightly or was harder due to the larger grip, can anyone compare to the d800, as i could assist one of them to af.

I've been temped to shift my d800e for a d750 but this is the main thing thats put me off, i know a lot didn't seem to like the handling of the d800.. maybe its my small girly hands but i find it fine even after hours of holding it.
then its the lack of af on button and 1/4000 limit. i know most say its not an issue and its probably not 90% of the time, but on holiday I noticed i hit 1/8000 at 1.4 plenty of times on my 35mm and its still over exposed a few. 1/4000 would be for sure.
are the buttons around the lens easily reached still,i had read they had been moved slightly or was harder due to the larger grip, can anyone compare to the d800, as i could assist one of them to af.

Why? You assign the AE-L button as AF on for BBF.

Nikon-D750-rear-view-of-camera-controls.jpg

Why? You assign the AE-L button as AF on for BBF.

Nikon-D750-rear-view-of-camera-controls.jpg
How do you set exposure lock if you have asigned it to AF? Having come from a D200 where it had both types of locks this is probably the only thing that I don't like about the camera however, I can control the half press on the shutter so it isn't a major issue.

Clearly, this could be a user issue so if someone knows a way round please educate me - thanks

How do you set exposure lock if you have asigned it to AF? Having come from a D200 where it had both types of locks this is probably the only thing that I don't like about the camera however, I can control the half press on the shutter so it isn't a major issue.

Clearly, this could be a user issue so if someone knows a way round please educate me - thanks

I have it assigned to PV. I also have movie record set to ISO. Assign what works for you.

Not sure why anyone would say that the 1/4000 limit is not an issue because if you shoot wide open a lot it absolutely is. I live in Northern Ireland and were not exactly blesses with bright sunny days but this an issue with the D750 that won't go away and has stopped me personally from getting another one to replace my D800. With that being said if you understand its limitations as many have said even in this thread it's a very good camera.

Not sure why anyone would say that the 1/4000 limit is not an issue because if you shoot wide open a lot it absolutely is. I live in Northern Ireland and were not exactly blesses with bright sunny days but this an issue with the D750 that won't go away and has stopped me personally from getting another one to replace my D800. With that being said if you understand its limitations as many have said even in this thread it's a very good camera.
You've always got low ISO, or simply stick a ND filter on if you know you're going to be shooting in particularly bright conditions.

You've always got low ISO, or simply stick a ND filter on if you know you're going to be shooting in particularly bright conditions.

Or even a circular polariser will probably reduce the light enough.

Did anyone find out what differences the recent firmware update made ?

Nope, still waiting for Nikon to send my camera back :(

Looks like it's specifically around Auto ISO and AUTO FP flash being over-exposed, which I'd noticed at weddings tbh. So will give it a good test when I get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of mine are operating perfectly so I'm not gonna bother with the update. Which reminds me I need to take down a for sale thread..

no idea, although i'm sure it screwed around with my custom menu
I got my camera back after they fixed the flare issue and they updated it whilst there. When I got it back a lot of my menus/settings were screwed up and it took me quite some time to get it set back up how I had it :mad:

I got my camera back after they fixed the flare issue and they updated it whilst there. When I got it back a lot of my menus/settings were screwed up and it took me quite some time to get it set back up how I had it :mad:

For future ref, you could have saved your settings to the SD card and then copied them into a file on your computer. Reverse the process to update your camera.

I think I'm going to just take the 24-70 on holiday, maybe with a "normal prime" (35 probably)!

Dunno specifically but it has effected LV speed. When I turn on LV now it's almost instantaneous.

I don't find it an issue, honestly, and I shoot wide open a lot. It's the equivalent of the D700 and I coped with that for years. If i'm shooting 1.4 it's generally for portraiture, and on a sunny day I'll be in open shade or shooting into the sun. Also, stopping down to f2 isn't that drastic an increase in DoF. There is also the ND filter route, which is a good purchase if you do shoot wide open all the time, regardless of whether you have a D750 or a D810. All in all, I'd obviously welcome 1/8000 if it was in the next iteration, but in relation to the rest of the camera's significant arsenal and low price, it's a very minor achilles heel.

Same as above. Assigned it to PV button, which is I think is much better ergonomically than have both buttons controlled by your thumb. If there were separate AF-ON and AE-L buttons, I'd still used PV for AE-L.

ISO via REC button is a gift - glad that most FF Nikon bodies can do that now.

I don't find it an issue, honestly, and I shoot wide open a lot. It's the equivalent of the D700 and I coped with that for years. If i'm shooting 1.4 it's generally for portraiture, and on a sunny day I'll be in open shade or shooting into the sun. Also, stopping down to f2 isn't that drastic an increase in DoF. There is also the ND filter route, which is a good purchase if you do shoot wide open all the time, regardless of whether you have a D750 or a D810. All in all, I'd obviously welcome 1/8000 if it was in the next iteration, but in relation to the rest of the camera's significant arsenal and low price, it's a very minor achilles heel.

Of course there are ways around it and as I said it's still a very good camera but I do find it annoying and that along with the rectangular viewfinder are the only 2 things I dislike about it which is why when upgrade my other camera it will be to a D810 or something else rather than another D750.

Of course there are ways around it and as I said it's still a very good camera but I do find it annoying and that along with the rectangular viewfinder are the only 2 things I dislike about it which is why when upgrade my other camera it will be to a D810 or something else rather than another D750.
I can understand the viewfinder thing that's just preference, but 1/4000 vs 1/8000 is just one stop and as stated before people coped with the D700 which only went down to ISO 200 ;)

I can understand the viewfinder thing that's just preference, but 1/4000 vs 1/8000 is just one stop and as stated before people coped with the D700 which only went down to ISO 200 ;)

I don't want to cope lmfao I don't have to with my other cameras.

I don't want to cope lmfao I don't have to with my other cameras.
Each to their own and all that I guess ;) I've not run into such issues yet, I'm happy to use low ISO on the rare occasion I might need it :p

Bit gutted tonight.

My 750 was mounted on my tripod last night when the clamp somehow failed and it fell off as I picked it up. Wasn't much of a bump from a metre high max but seems to have knocked the lens focussing out and I have had a few "err" codes as the camera locks up - great!! Really could do without returning but have no other option. Think the manfrotto ball head is going to get thrown as far as I can throw it. It's the second time the clamp has failed, the first I thought may have been user error as I couldn't be sure that I locked it off, this time around I definitely had as I've been paranoid since....

Bit gutted tonight.

My 750 was mounted on my tripod last night when the clamp somehow failed and it fell off as I picked it up. Wasn't much of a bump from a metre high max but seems to have knocked the lens focussing out and I have had a few "err" codes as the camera locks up - great!! Really could do without returning but have no other option. Think the manfrotto ball head is going to get thrown as far as I can throw it. It's the second time the clamp has failed, the first I thought may have been user error as I couldn't be sure that I locked it off, this time around I definitely had as I've been paranoid since....

That's a bummer, I lost a camera a few years back into a local lough while on a tripod but that was a combination of my own stupidity and a cheapish tripod. You would have thought manfrotto would have been okay :(

That's a bummer, I lost a camera a few years back into a local lough while on a tripod but that was a combination of my own stupidity and a cheapish tripod. You would have thought manfrotto would have been okay :(
It first happened a fair few years ago on banburgh beach where it fell off and trashed the front element of my lens. That cost me a bit to get sorted. Really hope this time it's minimal. Really wasn't much of a bump to be fair but it's done something. Away with work into the weekend now too so won't be able to send until Monday, not happy.

It first happened a fair few years ago on banburgh beach where it fell off and trashed the front element of my lens. That cost me a bit to get sorted. Really hope this time it's minimal. Really wasn't much of a bump to be fair but it's done something. Away with work into the weekend now too so won't be able to send until Monday, not happy.

Maybe your house insurance can help if you don't have dedicated equipment cover. The camera I sent to a watery grave was replaced by the house insurance company with little to no hassle.

Last edited:
Maybe your house insurance can help if you don't have dedicated equipment cover. The camera I sent to a watery grave was replaced by the house insurance company with little to no hassle.
Agreed, my house insurance covers non-specified items up to £1500 which is not far off the cost of a D750, the difference probably being about the cost of a repair anyway. I'm at my limit of specified items so couldn't specify the D750 on mine :oops: :$

I shall bear that in mind. When I trashed the 17-40L the cost was slightly less than the excess - think the repair was £120, the excess £150 - so will have to see. I'm more miffed at the downtime again, probably take a couple of weeks to get it returned. I haven't been out much lately so was already planning a few things. One of these days I will have a back up body!

Bit gutted tonight.

Sorry to hear this. Awful feeling.

Back