Nikon D750 & D780

Finally decided that maybe it's time to bury the dream and buy a couple of d810 bodies....not really what I want but what other option is there. $€#% nikon I hate you at the moment.

Sadly looks like Nikon's strategy will get another one to pay more for a camera that has more features than they want. :-/

For the price, the D810 is a bargain, though maybe wait a few months to get a better deal, but not if you don't want all it offers.

I currently use two d700 bodies which starting to feel a little worn.....but waiting and waiting for nikon to bring out a worthy upgrade. Was hoping the d750 was it. It isn't......looks like the d750 was my final hope of a true d700 replacement. So disappointed with this offering. Finally decided that maybe it's time to bury the dream and buy a couple of d810 bodies....not really what I want but what other option is there. $€#% nikon I hate you at the moment.

Maybe get a D810 and a D3s? That would give you a camera for extreme quality and a camera for extreme speed...

It's a slow frame rate at 6.5fps.Nikon seem to be lagging behind Canon in that respect.There seems to be no information yet as to whether fitting a battery grip will bring about and increase in fps.

There seems to be no information yet as to whether fitting a battery grip will bring about and increase in fps.

Info is there alright, and no the grip won't increase the frame rate unfortunately. I bet it's still well over £200 to buy though

It's a slow frame rate at 6.5fps.Nikon seem to be lagging behind Canon in that respect.There seems to be no information yet as to whether fitting a battery grip will bring about and increase in fps.
Not sure I follow you ... the 5DIII is 6 fps, the 6D is 4.5 ... unless you are comparing to the 1Dx, which is hardly a valid comparison.

The D750's direct rival is the Canon 7D MKII right? That has 10fps! (sensor aside)
Nikon should have kept it DX with high fps.
Sadly I think Nikon have made a mistake.

The D750's direct rival is the Canon 7D MKII right? That has 10fps! (sensor aside)
Maybe in price but crop v full frame? don't see how that is a direct rival, so no not for me it isn't. It's hardly apples v apples.

Would have said the 6D is much closer in terms of spec and size. In that context, the D750 looks very decent.

I wouldn't say so other than price. But the 7Dii has probably forced Nikons hand. Canon certainly seem to have the wildlife/sports market all sewn up at the moment. I've though more than once about swapping this week.

Guess we will have to see what Nikon pull out in the remaining trade shows before Spring.

I wouldn't say so other than price. But the 7Dii has probably forced Nikons hand. Canon certainly seem to have the wildlife/sports market all sewn up at the moment. I've though more than once about swapping this week.

Guess we will have to see what Nikon pull out in the remaining trade shows before Spring.

Are there any further trade shows in before spring ?You can wait for ever for that elusive perfect camera to come along.

Are there any further trade shows in before spring ?You can wait for ever for that elusive perfect camera to come along.
Think there's one in New York next month and one in Japan in January ish.
I'm hearing this a lot these days... :LOL:
Which says a lot on it's own! That said in time I'm sure I'll end up with a D810 like everyone else.

Canon certainly seem to have the wildlife/sports market all sewn up at the moment.
I think it depends on "the bracket" you're looking at.
I don't know a single wildlife shooter who doesn't want the D810's capabilities. And when things are faster/darker the D4/x is very competitive w/ the 1Dx (I would say they are interchangeable).
And personally, I think the D750 is nicely spec'd right between them.

Over the years there have been a few times where there was a strong temptation to jump brands... but it always swings back around again eventually.

I think it depends on "the bracket" you're looking at.
I don't know a single wildlife shooter who doesn't want the D810's capabilities. And when things are faster/darker the D4/x is very competitive w/ the 1Dx (I would say they are interchangeable).
And personally, I think the D750 is nicely spec'd right between them.
A fair point, I was more talking about the general "sports/wildlife" market which generally is FPS obsessed. I know many people using the D8X0 cameras for wildlife and doing well. 5/6fps I find to be plenty for wildlife but I don't do much birds in flight which is where I gather the FPS really come in.

Personally I don't want the D750 100% because of its size and button layout. the 7Dii looks appealing, but as you say IQ won't match a full frame but that crop factor certainly will help in good light. I just think a 5Diii and 7Dii combo with a good choice of lenses gives you close to the best of all worlds (fps, ISO, crop "reach") for reasonable money. To do that on Nikon isn't as obvious to achieve. FPS means going old or expensive, ISO is either expensive or different body styles which isn't ideal, and crop is old or differing body style.

Over the years there have been a few times where there was a strong temptation to jump brands... but it always swings back around again eventually.
Which ultimately is why I won't change as I am already invested on 1 side.

... I just think a 5Diii and 7Dii combo with a good choice of lenses gives you close to the best of all worlds (fps, ISO, crop "reach") for reasonable money. To do that on Nikon isn't as obvious to achieve. FPS means going old or expensive, ISO is either expensive or different body styles which isn't ideal, and crop is old or differing body style ...
That just about sums up the confused product line up Nikon currently have.

A fair point, I was more talking about the general "sports/wildlife" market which generally is FPS obsessed. I know many people using the D8X0 cameras for wildlife and doing well. 5/6fps I find to be plenty for wildlife but I don't do much birds in flight which is where I gather the FPS really come in.
I would say ~80+% of the time I could be fine with just the D810 because wildlife photography (especially BIF) is generally better with good light. Add a grip and Dx mode then you're up to 8fps which is decent...(it doesn't seem to matter how fast the shutter is going, if you're timing is off the ideal moment will occur between frames). When things are slower/closer then maybe you don't need the fps or "cropability" and FF/5fps is fine and then you get most all of the FF sensor benefits (i.e. "ISO performance").

I don't think Nikon is looking to make another advanced Dx body again. They're expecting you to use Dx mode on their FF models. Essentially, if you put a D810 into Dx mode you've put it into "D7000 mode."

I agree about not liking the D750 design, but what really matters is getting the job done well... (but it's still an unknown as of yet). Sadly, they've handicapped it a bit more than necessary (fps/buffer).

That said, I do think the 7DII looks very well positioned as a general market action camera... but I've heard a lot about poor AF w/ the original (no idea how significant it is). The 7DII is still an unknown isn't it?
But, IMO, if you compare the 7DII + 5DIII to the D810 the comparison looks a lot better for Nikon. The only advantage the Canon combo has is 2fps and 4MP in Dx for ~ $2k more... well, that and you'll have a second body.

As someone who dearly loved the d700, I'm looking forward to owning a d750. Cant comment on the body until I've held one, but i know that i loved my d610 construction more than my d4 at the end of a gruelling few wedding months. My only complaints of the d610 are its AF, lv exposure preview, and centre button zoom. Id settle for the better AF though.

I think its as close to a d700 replacement that ill get and that a d4/d750 combo will content me for a few years. Still, nikon missed a trick not releasing a 16mp 7fps d800 alongside a 36mp d800e two years ago.

It's going to be a very good camera, I have no doubt about it. There is very little to dislike about it. I'm looking forward to using the articulated screen and getting some very low angle shots. It's going to be ideal for weddings.

Yup. A few of my wedding tog friends who jumped ship to canon for the 5Diii say they'd have stayed if this had come out sooner.

Yup. A few of my wedding tog friends who jumped ship to canon for the 5Diii say they'd have stayed if this had come out sooner.

I also remember the Canon togs who jumped ship when the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 first came out. Nikon have been consistently good (with a couple of wobbles) for me for the last 35 years.

I have loved much of what they've made over the years, but i honestly think that nikon have dropped the ball somewhat. Would like to see both canon and nikon up their game. All the true innovation is coming from elsewhere.

Fuji are innovative and have lovely cameras but they are not suitable for pro togs in the main. When you earn money you can only really look at nikon and canon IMO based on bodies and lenses available.

Exposure Preview in Liveview mode is there, as is an assignable REC button for ISO. That's pretty much sealed the deal for me. Couldn't make out whether the OK button can be assigned to zoom to focus point on playback. Not a huge thing for me, really.

This really does look like it's going to be a popular little body. I too think this is going to be an excellent camera for wedding shooters and at £1,499.00 from DR. I am so, so tempted.

You can't compare it to the 7DII - crop vs full frame is like apples and oranges. Looking at Canon's two full frame small bodies, the 5DIII and 6D - with the obvious exception of build quality in the 5DIII and acknowledging that they are a generation apart, it's got both those bodies well beat on paper, right?

I'm firmly in the camp of those who are not moaning at what Nikon have decided to not give the D750, but rather happy at what it has got, especially at its price point. I like it.

Having said all that, I will be waiting with interest for a few months post general release, to see what comes out of the woodwork and what is actually wrong with it :D

Sorry, mispost. Thought it was released but Wex are saying pre-order still :confused:

Last edited:
A friend of mine (wedding tog) just sold up his Canon gear to get a pair of D750's. Think its a great camera. I'm too spoiled by 36MP D800 hence the D810 is what appeals to me. I'l probably hold off upgrading for now though - invest in lighting instead!

Back