Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Cheers Simon. Not necessarily for machine gunning shots, but I did notice that on playback I kept getting the egg timer. Was looking at the PNY 100mb/s in Currys. (Currently using the PNY 30mb/s) Will also help with getting them onto the computer aswell. The lens isn't too bad to use, it's not as heavy as I imagined it would be and is well balanced with the battery grip fitted. I'm using it with a shoulder sling though so maybe that helps more than a neck strap would.

As for the computer upgrades, I'm looking to add 16gb RAM to speed up the PP'ing as it's currently running 6gb. Might also add a 27" monitor but that's not a priority atm.

Roll on summer for some iso 100's... :D

The bloke I bought my lens from aslo suggested shooting in 12 bit RAW to speed up the camera, he was into jet photography. May also help you with the faster card?

I have 3 gig, so I need to update what I have or buy new. I will start with the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor, which is widely advised with good reviews. I have been looking around at the 27" and if honest they are out of my budget at present for a tidy one. Been looking at some of the Benq and Iayama and after asking some questions on Amazon these cheaper 27" aren't that great for PP, I want so much without enough cash, like all of us.

I'm trying to keep the max iso @ 800, which is easier for me, as my use of camera is for garden photography and it's mounted on a tripod. Sods law it's been nice this weekend and the boss is home and she's biffing and banging around cleaning and the mutt is in and out the backdoor where I set up. When she's in the kitchen she shouts "Simon theres birds on the feeders and perch", it's so f*****g loud they soon fly off, I am trying to teach her to come and call me gently:D . Bound to rain all week now :mad:

David you'retaking some bloody good shots with that new lens of yours. (y)

Thanks John. Don't get me wrong, there's alot of crap on the card aswell, but I do get a few keepers too. :D

Now just need to find a wider selection of birds to snap! Hoping for a Goldfinch at some point as I have never photographed one before. Was within 15ft of a Green Woodpecker on Friday that sat there happily flicking bits of grass out looking for grubs, but alas, no bloody camera so it's just a distant memory. :LOL:

Also fancying some air show of some sort now, reckon it would do a decent enough job if it was good weather.

But don't do ALL birds and planes otherwise your daughter may get jealous and quite rightly so ;)

Yeah you seem to getting on well with that 150-500 - must use my 120-400 a bit more. I fell out of love with it on the D7000 as it was never sharp but on the D7100 it does appear a lot sharper. Hoping to use it to its full extent at Fairford this year talking of airshows:)

Nice set again , love the zooming one.

Is the camera struggling a little with the reds or is it PP or my screen. The Robin from yesterday the chest seems flat and the Chaffinch from today, the detail seems to be lost, but then todays Robin the chest looks great?

Can't say I've noticed that much Simon. I've just double checked and still not sure. :LOL:

The Robin posted yesterday was a fairly big crop and it was in alot of shade hence the 1/80 of a second shutter speed. The Chaffinch had some positive exposure comp dialled in iirc and the Robin posted today was in good light I think. Perhaps that's something to do with it? I dunno tbh. :D

What I am finding is, there seems to be some feather detail lost with the chest area, when they are red / orange. If you look at the pic from Sunday you can see some fine detail under the birds chin, but not so much on the chest. I maybe over analysing but I am getting this with my camera. When I take some pics of Robins there chest area seems a little mushy and it looks as if detail is lost compared to the rest of the body. I just seems as if the cameras are not picking up / processing the reds so well?

Hope that makes sense :confused:

Morning folks. Just about to join this thread as a brand new D7100 is currently heading my way!
Swore I would never have another dslr, but my Dad just got interested in one and it seems to be contagious.....
Once my E-M5 sells, I'll be able to afford a len's for it too!
Allan

Hi all, joined the D7100 club now after I had my D7000 stolen while in Kuala
Lumpur :(. Need to read through all these posts and change some settings to suit me and then get out shooting!!!!

Just so you know, the D7100 suffers really badly from viewfinder light leak. I speak from experience. :D :D :D

Had a quick wander up to Lumsdale this afternoon. Was mega dull and grey and just crap basically. Wasn't really feeling it when i got there so mu composition is a rubbish. Hoping to get some seascapes this week if the weather plays ball so was wanting to try a few things out including my 10 stopper. Unfortunately forgot my cable release aswell so it was basically an afternoon to forget, lol.

Had to shoot at f1.8 to be able to use the 10 stopper properly. :LOL:

So... Thumb over the eye hole and 2 second timer activated...

18mm
f1.8
15 seconds
iso 100

Lumsdale Falls
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Then one without the filter...

18mm
f14
0.8 seconds
iso 100

Lumsdale Falls

David considering your woes this afternoon the 'end results' look bloody good to me and ones I would be chuffed at (y)

Just Googled Lumsdale and realised it's on my doorstep - you do get around and all I do is sit in the local coffee shops getting high on caffeine :eek:

The coffee sounds nice... Certainly nicer than frigging about with this damn nd filter. :confused:

It is indeed on your doorstep, not sure how accessible it would be for you though. :LOL:

Hoping to get over to Whitby this week, maybe Tuesday, hence the quick trial today, especially as it's only about a 20 minute drive. Wanting to take a few long exposures of some seascapes and maybe a couple of the pier and beach huts. Weather looks favourable atm for Tuesday but that could change. :D

I've downloaded an exposure cheat sheet as I'm too lazy (read, dumb) to figure it out myself. :LOL:

I reckon we should visit one of these coffee shops you speak of, they sound good to me!

David

My frustration with photography is not being able to access anywhere as well as general mongyness!!! (is this really a word) o_O

If you're ever over this way in the mornings I would happily buy you, your other half and Lily a coffee/milk shake. That is if I am not banned from the coffee places I frequent which is more and more likely as I do cheek the staff. :clap:

Enjoy the coast - its something I am beginning to realise I am missing after living in Devon for 20 years before moving here last year :)

PS Where's the pics on this thread :confused:

That's very kind of you indeed John. :) We'll have to sort something out.

I can imagine it's a massive change for you moving from Devon! :eek:

As for mongyness, it must be a word as i am proficient in it! :D

And i agree about the pics, we need some new recruits! Hopefully when the weather picks up we will start to see a few more!

Until then, here's a few more...

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is ridiculously sharp!!!

A Sharp Reflection

10 Stopper

And a crappy phone shot

Thing for taking pics

So you dont feel left out David @minnnt a couple of garden bird pics from me. I was hoping to go out over the weekend as it was nice but my body didn't ! Need to keep this thread going, I'm spending too much time in the bird section at present.

Collared Dove
20150215-DSC_5772 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Blue Tit Sheltering
20150212-DSC_5479 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

well done Simon, Collared Doves are always a great subject as there is a lot of detail and subtle colour in them - maybe lift the shadows a little
Blue tit - tighter crop with bird on the edge or in the left hand third .. there should be enough detail in there not to degrade the image

well done Simon, Collared Doves are always a great subject as there is a lot of detail and subtle colour in them - maybe lift the shadows a little
Blue tit - tighter crop with bird on the edge or in the left hand third .. there should be enough detail in there not to degrade the image

I have a new monitor Bill and if I'm honest I seem to be struggling with the colours. Nothing seems right compared to my old monitor, a LG 22inch glossy. The new monitor is a Dell U2412M and it's a matte screen and what ever setting I use it doesn't seem right. Also tried recomended settings from TFT Central, etc..........Some of the bird pics which have been posted only look ok to me, when their getting good praise from the more experienced photographers.

I probably will need to buy some sort of calibrator for the monitor and see where I go from there, or it takes a while to adjust to a new screen?

I have a new monitor Bill and if I'm honest I seem to be struggling with the colours. Nothing seems right compared to my old monitor, a LG 22inch glossy. The new monitor is a Dell U2412M and it's a matte screen and what ever setting I use it doesn't seem right. Also tried recomended settings from TFT Central, etc..........Some of the bird pics which have been posted only look ok to me, when their getting good praise from the more experienced photographers.

I probably will need to buy some sort of calibrator for the monitor and see where I go from there, or it takes a while to adjust to a new screen?

Colours look OK to me Simon

So, I have my new D7100 and waiting for a couple of lenses to turn up.
I just bought a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Non VC version. Sharp as a tack and in all but one mode, it's excellent.
Live view.
It doesn't autofocus.
Does anyone else have this lens working correctly with Live view? I did the obligatory Google search and it seems this may be a known issue.
Allan

A lot of third party lenses (especially older versions) won't AF in live view on Nikon bodies. As Nikon release new bodies, they update their AF algorithms and the older lenses are no longer compatible. Sometimes you can get them re-chipped - Sigma have been known to do it for free if you have recently bought the lens.

Someone has to say it so may as well be me.

Is the first one a selfie of some sort?

But seriously all super shots.

Thermos flask cheaper than Coffee Shops and save your pennies/pounds for D7200 :)

Back