Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Hello my first time in this section. Last night I treated myself to a lovely new D7000 body. Price was pretty good here and I can't wait to start using it. Looks a lot of camera compared to my D3000!

With all the talk on the forums or AF issues wirth the D7000, I thought I would post my experiences. My comments below are my experience, so take it for what it's worth - YMMV.

I recently purchased a second hand minter D7000 with only a few hundred clicks on it (for a steal) to supplement my D300 for high ISO birding and wildlife work. Unfortunately when I got it home and tried it with my favourite lenses (all Nikon - 24-70 F2.8, 17-55 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR II , 35mm F1.8 AFS and 300mm F4 AFS) , all were soft to a greater or lesser amount. Some required -20 AF fine tune and even then on the 35mm F1.8, whilst it made it better it still wasn't tack sharp (like it needed even more). Test were conducting with the camera on a tripod, mirror lock up, remote release, single point AF (centre point), with a contrasty subject in the middle of frame.

I know there are many here that subscribe to the view that it always must be the operator not the camera at fault, and one should "learn" the cameras quirks before posting, and I do agree - to a point. However there is no gettin away from the fact the some D7000's have made it into user's hands that are just plain faulty (or poor QC). Now, whilst I'm certainly not the worlds greatest photographer, I have been one for over 30 years and used DSLR's most of that time, so i'm not a total noob. Furthermore my D300 and D3 using the same lenses require no (on in the case of one lens on the D3, -2 correction) and are very sharp so I knew the lenese were fine.

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to send mine into Nikon UK for a check up. A bit of a gamble as there seems to be a 50/50 split on the internet as to whether Nikon's service departments makes problems better or worse

Anyway, the camera was diispatched to them on a Thursday (using their own freepost courier) and arrived with them on the Friday. I had a quote on the following Tuesday for an AF sensor adjustment and clean (I knew the camera was a grey import so was expecting I would have to pay before hand). Total price £59.00 (approx $90). I accepted and paid on their website and recevied the camera back in my hands yesterday. That's 5 working days in their posession (excluding carriage times). Most importantly ALL of my lenses are now tack sharp with no AF fine tune at all. And I mean tack sharp. My 24-70 never really shined on the D300 (it was good just not brilliant as it is on the D3) but on the D7000 it's now absolutely stunning as is the 70-200.

Moral of the story, if you are unhappy with the focus on your D7000 and you have eliminated user error, wrong focus mode, poor lenses etc., get the camera looked at, I certainly wouldn't hesitate again, and from my perspective, Nikon UK service gets 5 out of 5 stars from me (I know others may have had other experiences). When you get a good body (or have it set up correctly), the D7000's AF system really does seem to be a match in most parts for the 51 point system in the D3 and D300, and the camera is certainly capable of stunningly sharp shots.

Sorry for the long ramble.

The thing about the AF ans sharpness is when i stare at my photo i always criticized is not sharp but actually it is sharp.

I think i'm pixel peeping actually ....... i need to get rid of that habit. I tend to mess around with the AF fine tune but never happy, same to my D300. I just leave it now and just shoot.

Hi all,

I bought a 2nd had D7000 about 6 months ago and all was working fine until around 6 weeks ago. I posted a message up here about a slight autofocus issue I had, my sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens had slipped its focus ring into the MF position without me knowing and when I tried to autofocus the lens it sent out a strange noise sounding like a motor under stress. Not knowing what it was i attempted to AF several times before realsing the focus ring has slipped into MF so I quickly popped it back to the AF position and the lens autofocussed fine.

This has happened a further 2 times to me of late.

Ok so onto my problem, im seeming to get some focusing issues, I do alot of sports and have noticed im getting much more OOF images when shooting in AF-C. I recently did a portrait shoot for a client and noticed that the faces on alot of them images were OOF where the background, whether it was trees or a bench, seemed in focus.

This is constant whith whatever lens im using (mainly Siggg 24-70 and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8)

Yesterday I shot a ice hockey match and the problem was more evident that ever. Below is an image taken of 2 players, one is about 1-1.5m infront of the other and ive used ViewNX to highlight my focus point location.

Untitled.jpg

Image is straight from camera, no editing. As you can see the player ive focusing on is blurry but the player behind in more in focus.

Ive got tonnes of work booked in for the next few days and my D7000 is my main body so any help people could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Matt :(

P.S: Ive popped this message in the D7000 owners thread also.

Quick one on the D7000 as I am sure someone will know the answer off-hand:

When bracketing, I have it showing on the screen - do I then just press the shutter release three times and it will auto-bracket the next three shots? And does it matter whether I am in single shot or continuous mode?

Quick one on the D7000 as I am sure someone will know the answer off-hand:

When bracketing, I have it showing on the screen - do I then just press the shutter release three times and it will auto-bracket the next three shots? And does it matter whether I am in single shot or continuous mode?

1) Yes. 2) No. In single shot you need to hit shutter 3 times, in burst, just hold shutter.

Hi Matt,

Have you try do some test shots at home? Do some test shots with some subject at the front and some at the back and see does the problem occur again?

If it the problem occur of subject being more focus at the back instead of the front you expecting, then you can try AF Fine Tune on the camera.

Also does it do it on all the lens?

There is a Group Test on on similar cameras to the Nikon D7000 in the latest edition of Digital Photo Magazine The D7000 comes out on top against Cannon EOSD, Pentax K-5 and Sony A77 and remains the best camera in it it's class for two years running.

If your into working with RAW then this is a very good issue and well a read in addition to the D7000 review.

anyone replaced the plastic screen cover with either the stick on ggs or the clip ggs III?
just wondered what your opinions are? I'm sick of the plastic one its constantly dirty and hard to see through.

Yes, I replaced mine (scratched and dirty) with a new one :bonk:
wish I'd gone for the ggs (which I've seen on a d300 and is fab) as the new one is now dusty ... :whistle:

anyone replaced the plastic screen cover with either the stick on ggs or the clip ggs III?
just wondered what your opinions are? I'm sick of the plastic one its constantly dirty and hard to see through.

Put a GGS on mine first day I had it (original version not the newer clip one) - fitted one to every camera I've owned as the original ones are next to useless in my opinion.

Here is my 6400 ISO image on the D7000. I took the test shot in the worse lighting ever. Only did a little noise reduction and the image is perfectly use able for me.

DSC_6341 by badboy250984, on Flickr

I want to join the D7000 club:love:

:crying:I just wish some one will sell me a new D7000. Deliveries are slipping 1 month per month:bang:

Thanks Jonathan. Reason i done the test on some extream bad lighting situation are so if i do get any really bad situation i know i can trust 6400 iso on the d7000.

I am looking to get a D7000 in the near future and am wondering if the lenses I have now for my D80 will be good enough they are:
Nikon 18-135 F3.5-5.6 (general purpose family shots, close ups and landscapes)
Tokina 12-24 F4 (IF) (landscapes)
Sigma 400 F5.6 APO (not the macro one) it AF's ok with the D80 but seems a little soft (bird photos mainly)
As anyone any experience of these and if a bad experience, what lens did you replace them with.

Len

I am looking to get a D7000 in the near future and am wondering if the lenses I have now for my D80 will be good enough they are:
Nikon 18-135 F3.5-5.6 (general purpose family shots, close ups and landscapes)
Tokina 12-24 F4 (IF) (landscapes)
Sigma 400 F5.6 APO (not the macro one) it AF's ok with the D80 but seems a little soft (bird photos mainly)
As anyone any experience of these and if a bad experience, what lens did you replace them with.

Len

D7000 is a very good camera if you stick some good lens in front of the sensor. The 3 lens you have will probably be ok and will do the job, but to get the best out of the D7000 you may need to look into some better glass.

The Tokina you have is good and shouldn't really need to change. The 18-135 is a good general purpose lens. I use a Nikon 18-70 for some time and it did a great job but i eventually change it to the 28-70 f2.8.

I would also suggest getting either the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8 prime lens, both work like a treat on the D7000

badboy1984 said:
I would also suggest getting either the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8 prime lens, both work like a treat on the D7000

Couldn't agree more I've got the 18-105 and the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8 and I do get much better results when I use either of the prime lenses, there also great for video!

Russ

Thanks Jonathan. Reason i done the test on some extream bad lighting situation are so if i do get any really bad situation i know i can trust 6400 iso on the d7000.

Was that shot RAW or JPG and what did you use to process it out of interest ?

Was that shot RAW or JPG and what did you use to process it out of interest ?

I shot the photo in 14 bit RAW. I only do RAW only. Also i turn all the settings like ACtive D light, Noise Reduction in camera off.

To process the photo i use Adobe Lightroom 3. It wasn't a heavy noise reduction setting i done and the shot looks alright to me.

I got to admit it does show up some noise on ISO 6400 but the noise can be reduce in post with no problem. The most important is you can still see the detail on ISO 6400.

Thanks Badboy and Russ, I understand that both those lenses are good in low light situations.
What about my Sigma 400mm F4, do you think the sharpness could be improved by using the fine adjustment on the camera, or should I ditch it in favour of a Nikon F4 300 + 1.4TC combo?

Len

I shot the photo in 14 bit RAW. I only do RAW only. Also i turn all the settings like ACtive D light, Noise Reduction in camera off.

To process the photo i use Adobe Lightroom 3. It wasn't a heavy noise reduction setting i done and the shot looks alright to me.

I got to admit it does show up some noise on ISO 6400 but the noise can be reduce in post with no problem. The most important is you can still see the detail on ISO 6400.

Looks better to me than ISO 6400 does on my D7000 to be honest! I shoot RAW but use Aperture to process. I don't think the NR is Aperture is much cop if I am honest....I did download the LR 3 test once and it looked much better.

I like Lightroom to process RAW file and use photoshop to do major editing and effect etc. 90% of the time i use lightroom to process image.

Ive finally done it...... up graded my D40.

I wasn't sure what to get, was open to a D5100, D300, D300s, D7000 and even a D90 or D3100. I was getting annoyed with how poor the D40 was in low light and all the above were supposed to be a lot better at coping in low light (along with many others).

Today i managed to pick up my first choice replacement, the D7000.

Only had a little play through the menus and given the high ISO a quick go. I really can't wait to get out and start using it.

Ive just ordered the GGS III screen protector for it as I've seen they are highly recommended.
Id like to get as small as possible bag for it. More of a case maybe, that would house the camera with an 18-200mm lens attached. Has anyone any ideas or ideal cases/bags?

Any tips for my new toy will be read/tried with a great excitement!

ynot: welcome to the D7000 club. The camera won't disappoint you on the ISO performance. My photo i upload earlier shows the camera ISO 6400 with little noise reduction.

Today i managed to pick up my first choice replacement, the D7000. ....

Aww, :clap: as a matter of interest did you buy of the interwebs or a shop, as I've had the financial go ahead from the boss:love: to get a new camera, im just struggling to find a UK sourced one at a decent price:(

Aww, :clap: as a matter of interest did you buy of the interwebs or a shop, as I've had the financial go ahead from the boss:love: to get a new camera, im just struggling to find a UK sourced one at a decent price:(

John, i got it second hand. When i was looking the other day i did find a few places on the net that seemed to have them in stock.

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-42448-jacobs-digital-nikon-d7000-body.aspx?sku=1693929&
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ogleBase-_-DigitalSLRCameras-_-all-_-all&ovc=
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-nikon-d7000-body.htm

Hope its of some help.

jacobs and jessops:thumbsdown:
bristolcameras seems to have in stock. :clap:

vizzair said:

Glad its not just me! But paying £1000 for a body that was under £800 a few months back sticks in the throat. I'll wait till the post-restocking gouge-fest is over.

I'm not known for patience tho :(

tictoc said:
I paid 819 second hand! As always, get what you need when you need it. The price won't matter so much then.

I was trying (for once) to do the right thing and save/sell to raise funds, instead of rushing out with the credit card when the price dropped to £770.

I'm never being that virtuous again (y)

Back