Nikon D7xxx owners thread

vizzair said:
:banana::nikon::clap: its here - :plus1: for calumet,
now i have to wait for the battery to charge:(

ow why does it take so long...:LOL: ( 2 minutes out of the box )

Slightly jealous... But mine arrives tomorrow morning :)

Enjoy!

:love: woot what a difference, I didn't expect much extra from the D7000 over the 5000, how wrong I am, for me it is such an improvement, you can get at functions, its quieter, i love the higher ISO and now my ancient nikkor lenses work properly, and I've not stepped out side yet:LOL:

:crying:D5000 is now sulking in its bag:(

I just wish you could put the back button focusing function on to the actual Fn button, then I won't keep poking myself in the eye to focus ( im a left eye'er).
:banana: Now i just have to learn how to actually take "proper" photo's:puke:

Just collected mine from Jessops!

Probably won't get it charged in time for a play tonight and got an early start tomorrow morning!

Frustration to the max :D

i can't find any. Gone already?

Yeah, you're right. There was no indication of stock levels (it often says how many in stock) and I assumed they would have a job lot given Jessops seem to have had a big delivery. I'd set up a Camelcamelcamel alert and I pounced as soon as it popped into my inbox but did hesitate slightly before taking the plunge, thinking there would plenty of opportunity. Glad I didn't hesitate. It might be worth setting up of those for when they get the next batch?

Mine just arrived, just going thru the agony of waiting for the battery to charge :D

:clap: initial impressions of the 18-105 kit are very good ( remember I can't pay £:puke: for stuff )
I really like the ( I don't know the technical term ), way you can override the focus even when its in auto mode, let the camera get the focus then tweek it slightly by hand, so much better that the 18-55 that came with the D5000.

Now when it stops raining....

another thing - battery life, I know I was just playing with the camera, but after 1 night and about 90 pictures I was down to 75%. Any tips on how to maximize the life.

When Im caravaning with no mains i don't want to be limited to 400 'ish shots a day, seeing has you can't seem to get hold of "cheapo" batteries as a backup.

vizzair said:
another thing - battery life, I know I was just playing with the camera, but after 1 night and about 90 pictures I was down to 75%. Any tips on how to maximize the life.

When Im caravaning with no mains i don't want to be limited to 400 'ish shots a day, seeing has you can't seem to get hold of "cheapo" batteries as a backup.

Generic advice, but the greediest bit of any camera is the rear LCD, minimising its use should save battery. I'm guessing if you were new to the camera you'd have spent a lot of time going thru menus/messing with settings etc? Actual shooting should use the screen a lot less :)

the screen drains the battery quite alot. when i shooting stills i can keep on shooting and the battery won't even hit the red bar. But when doing video, it take 1-2 hrs before it completely die out.

Did you use a lot of the inbuilt flash? That seems excessively quick draining. And also in case your have a habit of chimping, perhaps good to get rid of that habit. The only other thing I can think of would be video and live view. Taking normal photos, the battery can last a long time...

The battery life should improve after a couple of charge and discharge cycles. You should get plenty more shots soon:)

Crikey what on earth is that??

I know! I have no idea where they came up with the name! Essentially it's an Amazon price monitoring website. You copy the URL of the item you're interested in from Amazon, copy it to the website and you can view historical price data for Amazon and other third party sites, which is handy if you want to know whether you're getting a good deal or not. You can also set a personal price point for an item and it will send you an email when the conditions are met. I read about it on the 'money saving expert' website and have used to get my 35mm F1.8 and now the D7000. Being ever the bargain hunter and, at times, virtually paralysed by indecision about whether I'm getting the best possible price (my therapist says I'm getting better :wacky:) it's good for me!

riddlerjim said:
I know! I have no idea where they came up with the name! Essentially it's an Amazon price monitoring website. You copy the URL of the item you're interested in from Amazon, copy it to the website and you can view historical price data for Amazon and other third party sites, which is handy if you want to know whether you're getting a good deal or not. You can also set a personal price point for an item and it will send you an email when the conditions are met. I read about it on the 'money saving expert' website and have used to get my 35mm F1.8 and now the D7000. Being ever the bargain hunter and, at times, virtually paralysed by indecision about whether I'm getting the best possible price (my therapist says I'm getting better :wacky:) it's good for me!
I'd never heard of this site until you mentioned it, but I think I'll be making good use of it from now on, thanks! (y)

I wouldn't worry about the battery life of the D7000, I get around a 1000 shots per charge from mine. The step up from my D5000 was very prominent :)

Zanzan said:
I wouldn't worry about the battery life of the D7000, I get around a 1000 shots per charge from mine. The step up from my D5000 was very prominent :)
I've been messing with mine for the last five hours or so, and the battery is showing 88%... This is a decent step up from the D90 also, and is making me think I don't need a grip for the D7000 :)

I do use the nikon grip with mine, but yes battery life was never the reason to purchase it.

Depends what you're doing.

No image review after shot, some mild chimping + deletion with a 70-200, I've been up to 1500 shots and still had power remaining.

Add in flash or video that figure collapses right quickly. No desire for a grip here, and that's only been reinforced after switching to an F3 for a carryaround for a while.

I've been messing with mine for the last five hours or so, and the battery is showing 88%... This is a decent step up from the D90 also, and is making me think I don't need a grip for the D7000 :)

Depends on the main reason for having the grip in the first place. The ability to double up on batteries was never a factor in my decision to purchase grip. I just find the camera feels more comfortable to use and handles better with the grip. To be honest I just run the D7000 with just one battery in the grip, leaving the camera's battery bay empty - can't be bothered with removing the grip every time the battery in the camera needs to be changed.

Slaphead said:
Depends on the main reason for having the grip in the first place. The ability to double up on batteries was never a factor in my decision to purchase grip. I just find the camera feels more comfortable to use and handles better with the grip. To be honest I just run the D7000 with just one battery in the grip, leaving the camera's battery bay empty - can't be bothered with removing the grip every time the battery in the camera needs to be changed.
I got used to the feel of the D90 with grip, but never used the vertical shutter for come reason! I'll probably grab one for the D7K when the price comes down, last time I looked they were £250. No chance! :)

:eek: that is a lot. My official Nikon grip from last year was only £125 iirc.....

I got used to the feel of the D90 with grip, but never used the vertical shutter for come reason! I'll probably grab one for the D7K when the price comes down, last time I looked they were £250. No chance! :)

£250! If only. At current exchange rates I dumped £320 or so on my grip this time last year. However I'm in Switzerland, they were in short supply, the only place that had one is renowned for being the most damned expensive place to buy gear, and I needed (wanted) it there and then.

I don't really use the vertical controls either, mainly because I use a hand harness on the camera, rather than the strap, which makes accessing those controls pretty much impossible. In truth I could have probably been happy with a lump of moulded plastic screwed onto the bottom of the D7000.

Dejongj, if you scored an original Nikon grip for £125 then it was an absolute bargain, so much so that if I was to see one for around the same price I'd be questioning it's authenticity. I'm not saying you've got a fake, but that does seem incredibly cheap.

Last edited:
i got my original grip for £148 (include tax etc). Bought my off ebay which the item is shipped from Malaysia. I have to paid tax etc but it end up cheaper then buying in UK.

My is not fake as well because i register the serial number with Nikon and is fine and also the box and item is identical to the one my friend bought in the UK.

Where was that from?

Russ

i got my original grip for £148 (include tax etc). Bought my off ebay which the item is shipped from Malaysia. I have to paid tax etc but it end up cheaper then buying in UK.

My is not fake as well because i register the serial number with Nikon and is fine and also the box and item is identical to the one my friend bought in the UK.

Mine came from eBay UK supplied from Malaysia as well. No additional tax was charged. And I checked, it is authentic.

dejongj said:
Mine came from eBay UK supplied from Malaysia as well. No additional tax was charged. And I checked, it is authentic.

Ok thanks. How Long did it take for it to come?

Russ

badboy1984 said:
my was uk supply too but send from malaysia. It came to my door in 2 days. They use FedEx which is fast but it will definate charge tax.

Ah okay thanks.

Ok thanks. How Long did it take for it to come?

Russ

I honestly can't remember, as I work away a few days a week it was here definitely within a week I think...

Digital rev have the grips from HongKong for £149. They do a VAT guaranty thing too. Used them before and was happy, wasn't stung on VAT so cant tell you much about that part of the service.

Last edited:
maninsuitcase said:
Digital rev have the grips from HongKong for £149. They do a VAT guaranty thing too. Used them before and was happy, wasn't stung on VAT so cant tell you much about that part of the service.
Not sure about the legality of that tbh, sounds like they're sending it and taking a chance that it won't be pulled for duty/VAT! Maybe there is a legal way tho, I'm no expert, but I've been stung for low value (borderline liability depending on Exchange rate) items before, and it pee'd me off somewhat ;)

If you talking about the Digitalrev shop on the website (not the ebay one) then you won't get stung on VAT. The price + delivery cost etc will cover your VAT to the UK.

Other ebay shop you may get stung on VAT but it only cost a little since the item is cheap anyway.

Not sure about the legality of that tbh, sounds like they're sending it and taking a chance that it won't be pulled for duty/VAT! Maybe there is a legal way tho, I'm no expert, but I've been stung for low value (borderline liability depending on Exchange rate) items before, and it pee'd me off somewhat ;)

As far as I gather that's exactly what happens. They send it you get it. If you get stung for VAT they refund it (you email them a copy of the receipt). If you don't then they are quids in as it would have been factored into their price.
Or at least that's how it was when I ordered last year, they don't seem to mention it on their website now as I just went looking.

Yea:clap:, having played with the D7000 over the weekend, over 200 shots and battery still at 80%.

Now has anyone used one of those fleabay car chargers for the battery ?:thinking:
I had one for the D5000 and it works no problem, but the battery is bigger and newer, and i don't want to blown up a £50 battery:eek:, but when Im away I have no access to mains, only 12V, Im not paying £75 upwards to buy an inverter simply to charge the battery.
And even now there doesn't seem to be cheap "knock off" batteries available ( which suprises me , maybe Nikon have been clever in their new batteries to prevent this :shrug: )

Quick question - do any of you have any creaking noise issues with the body of your D7000?

I get some creaking noise around the hand grip area. More annoying than anything, especially given my D90 doesn't have this issue at all and feels solid all over.

Back