Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Odd thing or maybe not :shrug: I have one manual lens Samyang 85 1.4 i just noticed that pictures taken in live view when viewed on VIEWNX2 on metadata camera info show manual , area mode single, fine tune (-5) - surely in live view there is no fine tune correction ? When in AF mode (with my other lenses) live view ignores fine tune and does not report/record it. Anyone care to comment / explain

RE: battery life - totally depends on LiveView usage..... I generally do about 400 shots per daily shoot plus probably 10-20 mins of filming (and reviewing the footage once to check audio) and one battery still has about 20 per cent showing. Once you start filming for prolonged periods though you can the battery - covered an event the other week and di 50 stills plus 16GB of video and did two batteries.

RE: focus issues - not had any myself, been using it straight out of the box since the end of May and can't see any issues. Done 7,500 shots with the only issues being user error ;)

Just made a comparative image of the AF Micro Adjust function, here's the difference between -20, 0 and +20, as you can see, even if you think an image is focused properly, as I did, there's still room for improvement.

microadjust by NX4737, on Flickr

Adam Priseman said:
Just made a comparative image of the AF Micro Adjust function, here's the difference between -20, 0 and +20, as you can see, even if you think an image is focused properly, as I did, there's still room for improvement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adampriseman/7544086578/
microadjust by NX4737, on Flickr

Oh wow that is a huge difference. -20 is a lot of adjustment. Is that across all lenses or just this one?

No, I think the issue is most noticeable with fast primes, this was taken with my 50mm f1.8.

That is a 100% crop, however. :)

I had a similar af issue with mine. -17, which I found to be unacceptable for a camera which should be usable straight out of the box.
I took it into Fixation (London) , and 2 days later, perfect, no AF issues on any of the lenses. Only the body was taken in, nothing was done to any of my lenses.
I don't think anyone should accept that sort of microadjustment as the "norm", and should get it done ASAP under warranty.

I've just had chance to try fine tuning by comparing the difference between live view and normal and it was surprisingly easy. Ended up with 2 at -4 and 1 at -1 so seems like I'm a lucky one.

Thanks for the help and info.

how much sharpening do you apply in camera when shooting RAW ? I use 4 but with some lenses increase a bit in PP.

how much sharpening do you apply in camera when shooting RAW ? I use 4 but with some lenses increase a bit in PP.

Unless you use Nikon Capture NX2 it really doesn't matter what you apply in camera....I don't use NC so I don't bother...

When testing lenses you should ideally test at 10 x the focal length you are testing!
I.E 50mm focal length test distance should be 500mm.
It's also advised to test zooms at there maximum zoom setting!

Here is a link to a fine tune AF Pattern that you can download and use on your computer screen!

http://www.nphotomag.com/2012/06/26/nikon-tip-fine-tune-the-af-on-your-dslr/

Thanks for the tip, I've just re-fine tuned it at 50mm and there was no noticeable difference to what I'd got, so I must've hit the nail on the head the first time. :)

Thanks for the tip, I've just re-fine tuned it at 50mm and there was no noticeable difference to what I'd got, so I must've hit the nail on the head the first time. :)

I tested mine at different focal lengths and distances from my target and didn't get any real noticeable differences!:)

I'm happy enough with the af on all of my lenses,the oil splatter spots that keep covering the sensor,now that's another thing!:bang:

I've had my suspicions that my 50mm f/1.8 AF-D was back focussing a little. An adjustment of -7 seems to have sorted it.

My question is this...I have one other lens, that requires no adjustment so is it OK to keep AF Finetune on all the time? I know the camera will know which lens is attached so I'm assuming it will make no adjustments for the other lens?

Thats correct - however, if you choose a default value in set up menu that value will apply to all lenses that don't have a vale set for them if fine tune is turned on.

Thats correct - however, if you choose a default value in set up menu that value will apply to all lenses that don't have a vale set for them if fine tune is turned on.

Thanks mikesayling, sounds good to me.

I'll just leave the default at 0 for the other lens. Very handy feature and as it's a fairly small adjustment needed to correct the 50mm I don't feel it's worth sending off.

I'd had my suspicions for a while and they were confirmed last night when I did some test shots in my garden using a tripod and remote release. As soon as I started pulling the focus back towards the camera it made a big difference. I use the 50mm for macro stuff too (with a raynox) so it should hopefully make that a bit easier too!

cotty332000 said:
I'm happy enough with the af on all of my lenses,the oil splatter spots that keep covering the sensor,now that's another thing!:bang:

I got it cleaned a few months after I brought he camera but I've noticed they are back again. Ive noticed they show up more when the aperture is set to f8 or above, as I use mainly use the aperture open wide most of the time I haven't noticed them.

My question is do you get it cleaned professionally or clean the sensor yourself? I've never cleaned a sensor before so not to sure about doing it myself. I brought the camera second hand in Sept 2011 so no warranty. Anyone know what stance Nikon are taking on the oil spots issue?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130583973754?redirect=mobile

Hi all,

Have just bought the Meike grip from the link provided above and thought I would say a few words in case anyone is interested.

The grip arrived today (Wednesday) after ordering Sunday and came well packaged.

Had some initial worries straight out of the box, it does feel a bit plasticky and cheap but once I had it screwed onto the D7000 is feels really solid and looks the part. There is a well known connection problem with this grip and causes the 'INFO' LED to randomly flash. Following tips on other reviews a well placed peice of cardboard helps and it stopped straight away. I dont know whether its pot luck but on my model the shutter and aperture wheels turn the correct way (which was my big worry). The D button is pretty sensitive but I'm already used to it after only an hours play.

There are two trays for the grip. One for 4xAA batteries and the other for another EN-L15.

The only thing I havent tested is the strength of the tripod screw on the bottom but cant see any issues with it.

I'm a bit of a badge freak and usually Nikon or anything but for £30 you really cant go wrong.

Last edited:
rob-nikon said:
I got it cleaned a few months after I brought he camera but I've noticed they are back again. Ive noticed they show up more when the aperture is set to f8 or above, as I use mainly use the aperture open wide most of the time I haven't noticed them.

My question is do you get it cleaned professionally or clean the sensor yourself? I've never cleaned a sensor before so not to sure about doing it myself. I brought the camera second hand in Sept 2011 so no warranty. Anyone know what stance Nikon are taking on the oil spots issue?

I got mine cleaned professionally as its out of warranty anyway!
If they keep coming back as mine do and it's under warranty I would speak to Nikon.
I'm going to have a go at cleaning mine myself as I can't afford to keep having it done professionally.
It's only noticeable on certain shots like you say above f8 and if there is a lot of sky in the image!
I've learned to live with it and just spot heal them out in pp as I know where the worst ones are!

do the D7000s not have 2 year warrantys? i'm sure mine did, seeing as they were released just less than 2 years ago surely they should all be still in warranty? :thinking:

forgive me if i've got that mixed up though :)

andy1868 said:
do the D7000s not have 2 year warrantys? i'm sure mine did, seeing as they were released just less than 2 years ago surely they should all be still in warranty? :thinking:

You've got me thinking now!
I will check when I get home!
I thought I got mine in Jan 2010 but maybe it was 2011.

from the top of my head it was released late 2010, maybe October time if my memory serves me correctly. I got mine the day after boxing day 2010 and it hadn't been out long then. I'm not 100% on the 2 year warranty thing though so i would check if i were you :) Again i'm not 100% but i seem to remember registering it on the Nikon site for the extended warranty :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130583973754?redirect=mobile

Hi all,

Have just bought the Meike grip from the link provided above and thought I would say a few words in case anyone is interested.

The grip arrived today (Wednesday) after ordering Sunday and came well packaged.

Had some initial worries straight out of the box, it does feel a bit plasticky and cheap but once I had it screwed onto the D7000 is feels really solid and looks the part. There is a well known connection problem with this grip and causes the 'INFO' LED to randomly flash. Following tips on other reviews a well placed peice of cardboard helps and it stopped straight away. I dont know whether its pot luck but on my model the shutter and aperture wheels turn the correct way (which was my big worry). The D button is pretty sensitive but I'm already used to it after only an hours play.

There are two trays for the grip. One for 4xAA batteries and the other for another EN-L15.

The only thing I havent tested is the strength of the tripod screw on the bottom but cant see any issues with it.

I'm a bit of a badge freak and usually Nikon or anything but for £30 you really cant go wrong.

Hi, I have the flashing LED issue with mine and am interested in the "piece of cardboard" solution. Could you tell me where I need to place it (polite answers only;) )

Thanks

re meike grip - you may find that when turning camera on or off - the cam is checking battery status on the grip - the nikon version should do the same .

re meike grip - you may find that when turning camera on or off - the cam is checking battery status on the grip - the nikon version should do the same .

Last edited:
gunther1966 said:
Hi, I have the flashing LED issue with mine and am interested in the "piece of cardboard" solution. Could you tell me where I need to place it (polite answers only;) )

Thanks

Excuse poor iPhone pic but shows cardboard I've placed in grip. Thickness of cardboard is from cereal box. It's to stop the minimal rocking of the grip near the electrical connector block.

7601973272_9142dd5c39.jpg

Only time LED flashes now is when I turn the D7000 on/off or when it is recording images onto the memory card.

Last edited:
i have that grip but haven't had any problems :thinking: my only annoyance is that after all this time its become alittle creaky, has anybody else found that?

Excuse poor iPhone pic but shows cardboard I've placed in grip. Thickness of cardboard is from cereal box. It's to stop the minimal rocking of the grip near the electrical connector block.

7601973272_9142dd5c39.jpg

Only time LED flashes now is when I turn the D7000 on/off or when it is recording images onto the memory card.

Thank you for that - I will give it a go.

You had (have?) to register with Nikon within 28ish days to get the 2 year gtee, no registration and just 12 months gtee.

I just got rid of my D700 and looking to a stand in Camera just over the summer until they finally announce the D600

Ive owned D40, D70, D90, D300s & D700 so had a wide range of Nikons over the past 4 Years

What would you say the all round best price is for a D7000 as i think it will be a good stand in for the time being? Found a New one on Amazon for £707 which i am willing to pay

i could have it by tomorrow which would be great for the Weekend

If it is a stand in why not grab a s/h body and move it on when you get the D600? You will lose less for sure and might even get one with warranty that the original owner will act as go between on for you (often the case with equipment bought in TP classifieds.

If it is a stand in why not grab a s/h body and move it on when you get the D600? You will lose less for sure and might even get one with warranty that the original owner will act as go between on for you (often the case with equipment bought in TP classifieds.

I have been scanning the Classi on here and the D7000 are going for around £650+

so i may aswell buy a new one for £57 more as it would be worth a tad more when selling later down the line

If you're considering used, you have to consider a gray import. Usually the same money as used but new and some form of warentee even if it's 3rd party which is 100% more than you'd get used!

Hi all.
I've just gone and got a D7000 and WOW :eek:
What a beauty!

Just been searching eBay for a couple of spare batteries and very bizarrely, didn't find any :thinking:

Anyone know the best place to get them?

Hi Andy - stopped looking for cheepo batts for 7000 - TBH the batt lasts a long time well over 500 shots but if you worry about running out during a shooting session or on an all day shoot go for a 3rd party hand grip (battery pack) like a meike or similar and load it with AA batts - gives a great bit of extra shooting time and cheaper than an OME batt which you may never need. The grip has a lot of functionality as well as just providing extra batt power.

There are very few if any aftermarket batterys available, possibly because of the recessed contact design. Best place for a genuine one is Kerrso, he was doing them for £47 which is the best price I could find....

The recessed terminals is due to new legislation in Japan. I think the reason there are no aftermarket batteries is the code in the chip inside the battery has not been cracked yet (so I heard anyway).

Back