Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Well just popped into brag really, just ordered it and will be here tomorrow ready for my trip to Scotland at the end of the month.

I wanted the d7000 when it first came out but held off then I was itching to get the d7100 when that was released and now (a few years on) finally I am upgrading from the d5000

No doubt the d7200 will be announced tomorrow as that's what happened when I brought the d5000 which was before my addiction to TP and my first camera :)

Done plenty of testing, happy that I don't have a dud body or lens. Very happy.

what are the best ways to test the body to make sure iv not got a dud?

not read through the entirety of this thread yet :confused:

Been playing around some more and with my wifes D80 which arrived this morning for her birthday (my first DSLR and she wants in so it seemed like a safe bet).

I can't help but think that the Record button on the top plate should either a) function as an ISO button when you are not in live view or b) be assignable.

what are the best ways to test the body to make sure iv not got a dud?

not read through the entirety of this thread yet :confused:

Paul, I was basicalyl just testing the AF out on the body and the 5 lenses which all arrived at the same time. I wanted to be sure I didn;t have a problem in a month when I picked one up I'd not looked at and it didn;t work properly.

One issue which appeared in earlier batches was a AF problem on the left AF spots. Some people would report that an image taken with the centre or right spots would be pin sharp but with the left spot would be soft.

ah ok, thanks for that..so far from what iv used it seems to work fine bu iv only been playing with the cat (oo er), need to get a good all round lens now then il be happy(er)

Have been left £2000 to spend on 'my photography' - I cannot see what I need or what I 'wish' but these funds must only go on my hobby !! I have d7100 with 35 1.8 , 24-70 2.8, 105 2.8 micro, 85 1.4 Samyang and 70-300 tamron.

any suggestions?

best from Mikey

ps I'd like a Leica :nono:

Have been left £2000 to spend on 'my photography' - I cannot see what I need or what I 'wish' but these funds must only go on my hobby !! I have d7100 with 35 1.8 , 24-70 2.8, 105 2.8 micro, 85 1.4 Samyang and 70-300 tamron.

any suggestions?

best from Mikey

Would a photographic holiday qualify? Perhaps with a guide or pro tog in some exotic remote location.

Regards
Neil.

any suggestions?

best from Mikey

Looks like you are pretty well covered with portrait lens so I'm guessing portraits is your main interest. What do you like to photograph? May upgrade the tamron 70-300 or a UWA lens if landscapes interests you. A photography holiday is a good idea or some photography workshops in something that interests you.

Thanks for suggestions - have been thinking of a wide angle to complete coverage - so need to cover from 24mm to ? what do you recommend ? May also take that photo vacation (great idea) . say £1000 each :clap:

Thanks for suggestions - have been thinking of a wide angle to complete coverage - so need to cover from 24mm to ? what do you recommend ? May also take that photo vacation (great idea) . say £1000 each :clap:

There are a few good DX UWA lens both Nikon and third party. I had he nikon 12-24 f4 which was pretty good, I only sold it to get to nikon 17-55 as the range was more useful to me rather than a dedicated UWA. There are plenty of threads on here about UWA lens for DX.

I have the Tokina 12-28mm f/4 which is certainly a nice solid lens. Not had a chance to use it in anger yet though.

Currently torn between a D700 or 7100. Shooting all sorts from motorsport to travel stuff. Just picked up a 300mm f4 for motorsport/zoo. I don't use burst, so FPS isn't an issue.

My main dilemma is a fast prime in the 35-50mm area. With a D700 it's easy...Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART. Struggling a bit with the best DX option though, is anyone using the 35mm 1.4 on the 7100, or are there are any solid alternatives?

I've just sent my new d7100 back to amazon for a replacement. Sometimes the auto focussing wouldnt work on my 300 f4 plus 1:4 tc. I would try different settings but nothing would happen. I would then have to switch the camera off and on again and it would then focus no problem. The large LCD screen started flickering as well.
Anybody else have these sort of problems with their d7100.

Regards Gerard.

I've just sent my new d7100 back to amazon for a replacement. Sometimes the auto focussing wouldnt work on my 300 f4 plus 1:4 tc. I would try different settings but nothing would happen. I would then have to switch the camera off and on again and it would then focus no problem. The large LCD screen started flickering as well.
Anybody else have these sort of problems with their d7100.

Regards Gerard.

A friend experienced this same problem on his D7100 when he hired a 1.4tc and borrowed a 300mm f4.the auto focus kept on cutting out and wouldn't work. To cut a long story short after testing several tc's and 300mm f4's it was put down to that individual lens when attached to a tc to his d7100. His d7100 worked fine with another 300mm f4 with the same tc. The strange thing is the lens and 1.4tc combi works fine on other cameras and without a tc attached. i regularly use a 300mm f4 and 1.4 tc and have not experienced any problems so hopefully it will be sorted by changing the camera.

I'm not sure if he experienced the flickering LCD. Do you know anyone else with a d7100 or who has a 300mm f4 so you can test an another lens and tc on your camera?

A friend experienced this same problem on his D7100 when he hired a 1.4tc and borrowed a 300mm f4.the auto focus kept on cutting out and wouldn't work. To cut a long story short after testing several tc's and 300mm f4's it was put down to that individual lens when attached to a tc to his d7100. His d7100 worked fine with another 300mm f4 with the same tc. The strange thing is the lens and 1.4tc combi works fine on other cameras and without a tc attached. i regularly use a 300mm f4 and 1.4 tc and have not experienced any problems so hopefully it will be sorted by changing the camera.

I'm not sure if he experienced the flickering LCD. Do you know anyone else with a d7100 or who has a 300mm f4 so you can test an another lens and tc on your camera?

Sorry I don't know anybody else with the same combo. I never had a problem with my D90 so hopefully the problem will be sorted with the new camera. I'll report back on how the new camera works out.

Regards Gerard.

D300s is classed a flagship pro DX - Although the 7100 has many features similar (if not better in some areas) than the d300s, its not classed as a pro DX in Nikon Europe.

It is classed as a flagship DX on Nikon USA website. :thinking:

A dpreview forum member contacted Nikon Europe and asked them about the new D7100 being described as the "new flagship of Nikon's DX-format HD-SLR lineup" on Nikon USA website (the D7100 is described as "enthusiast-level DX format camera" in Europe). This is Nikon's answer:

"I can assure you that the D7100 is not positioned to replace the D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera - such is the information received from Nikon Japan on the matter."

More info here : http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/n...-is-not-positioned-to-replace-the-d300s.aspx/

My D7000 and 300mm f4 AF-S arrived yesterday, within about 10 minutes of motorsport shooting this morning I realised something didn't quite seem right, even just reviewing on the LCD my shots were nowhere near as sharp as I would expect. I'm confident in getting a pretty solid hit rate at very slow shutter speeds, often down to 1/30 or so and on longer lenses than this previously, but it just wasn't happening.

Just to make sure it wasn't me I went well into my safe zone, 1/250 and faster, but I was still getting slightly out of focus shots. I then shot a few static objects such as signs at very fast shutter speeds (1/2000 ish), no matter what I just couldn't get them sharp. Everything seems slightly out of focus.

I've owned at least 6 or 7 cameras and 30+ lenses in the past few years and never had such an immediate and obvious issue, so I don't really know where I go from here...any tips?!

I have no other Nikon gear (cameras or lenses) to see if it's a wider issue.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but have you tried it AF-S, single focus point, and mounted on a tripod. Probably no good for motorsport but this way should give you a good image to test.

My D7000 and 300mm f4 AF-S arrived yesterday, within about 10 minutes of motorsport shooting this morning I realised something didn't quite seem right, even just reviewing on the LCD my shots were nowhere near as sharp as I would expect. I'm confident in getting a pretty solid hit rate at very slow shutter speeds, often down to 1/30 or so and on longer lenses than this previously, but it just wasn't happening.

Just to make sure it wasn't me I went well into my safe zone, 1/250 and faster, but I was still getting slightly out of focus shots. I then shot a few static objects such as signs at very fast shutter speeds (1/2000 ish), no matter what I just couldn't get them sharp. Everything seems slightly out of focus.

I've owned at least 6 or 7 cameras and 30+ lenses in the past few years and never had such an immediate and obvious issue, so I don't really know where I go from here...any tips?!

I have no other Nikon gear (cameras or lenses) to see if it's a wider issue.

Have you tried any other lens previously on your d7000? It could need micro adjusting, I know many of my lens did on the d7000. Are both the d7000 and 300 f4 new to you? I've had to micro adjust most of my lenses with my d7000 most around -10 to -17 so they were all a little out.

Have you tried any other lens previously on your d7000? It could need micro adjusting, I know many of my lens did on the d7000. Are both the d7000 and 300 f4 new to you? I've had to micro adjust most of my lenses with my d7000 most around -10 to -17 so they were all a little out.

No they both arrived yesterday and I don't have an other lens to test. I will look into micro adjusting, I've been mirrorless for a few years now so I'm used to things just working!

Anyone with the Meike grip on their D7000, can you tell me if you can use the battery from the camera in the grip and leave the camera empty?

I don't fancy extra weight from an extra battery but like the grip for it's ergonomics.

Anyone with the Meike grip on their D7000, can you tell me if you can use the battery from the camera in the grip and leave the camera empty?

I don't fancy extra weight from an extra battery but like the grip for it's ergonomics.

You can, I do :)

Great info, never knew it was possible.

I'm glad it is. The quality of my grip isn't the best and I fear that being constantly being removed and refitted would kill it one day. The first time I screwed it into the base of the body I felt a clunk of the gear jumping. At that point I knew I didn't want a battery in the body just in case.

Sussed my focus issues with my new D7000 and 300mm f4. Focus tracking with lock-on was switched on (set at the middle value I think), as soon as I switched it off it was like my camera had finally come alive...

Rallyday 2013 by Harry_S, on Flickr

In what way?

Last weekend 90% of my shots were just out of focus and I couldn't put my finger on it. I've shot motorsport with AF with 'inappropriate' gear before (Fuji X, Micro 4/3) and still got a very good hit rate, so I knew a D7000 and 300mm f4 should have been relatively easy.

I struggled on for a few hours yesterday morning, then I switched that setting off (not sure why, just found it in the menu and decided!), I could instantly tell even from the LCD that my photos were sharper, my hit rate immediately jumped from 10% to at least 50%.

Maybe it doesn't work too well with the slow panning I tend to use.

How easy was it for you guys that sent it back in for focus issues.

Mine has defiantly got an issue when focusing indoors, going to get it outside tomorrow for some more testing but indoor shots are requiring -20 on 2 different lens .
Only trouble is, some shots with no AF tune have come out sharp:puke:

Did it come back fixed 100%, are you now happy?

Think if I keep getting this after it comes back (after I send it), then it will all be going on the bay and getting a canon that will focus.:bang:

I have just begun the process to officially become an owner of a D7000 and the kit 18-105 lens bought from ghop99 on here!

So I thought I'd sign up to this thread as I'm rather excited!

I have just begun the process to officially become an owner of a D7000 and the kit 18-105 lens bought from ghop99 on here!

So I thought I'd sign up to this thread as I'm rather excited!

Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy.

Back