Nikon D7xxx owners thread

bad bad experience with the d7100 , i sold my d300s and my d7000 to fund a brand new d7100 ,the first one drove me insane as it wouldn't meter correctly and worked o.k for a while then did its own thing ,finally had a complete menus system breakdown after 4 weeks ,took it back to the retailer and they exchanged it for a new body , started using it and far far better results initially seemed like a dream camera ,however after 4 weeks and 3000 + shots it to started to show issues in the menu system i.e freezing up and not allowing me to view shots or the menu whilst through the viewfinder all the display was whirring around . also when going through my shots the useable ones were nowhere near the focus points and the ones on focus point were out of focus .lifes to short to mess about like this
took this body back and asked for and got a complete refund with no argument ??? .this has unfortunately put me off nikon big style and i have changed back to canon .

just hope no one else has the same problems ,although i do know of at least one other already

I'm using a Meike grip, granted only for a few weeks, but it's working well for me. As Metroman mentioned, theres a little play in the mount wheel but this in no way affects the tightness of the attachment to the body. I only use mine when needed, so it's been on and off a few times with no problem, the camera always recognises it and the battery works fine.

Due to the way I use it, I keep the grip empty with just the AA tray, and use the battery in the camera. I always have the option of filling the AA tray if I am ever caught short of power.

One other thing to note, and something I saw cropping up a few times when I googled, is regarding direction of the control wheels. Mine move in the same direction as the camera.

Hi all,
I've been trying to work out if it's possible for the Playback display on the LV sceen to stay on until turned off? I'm finding it's very annoying when it automatically turns off after about 5 seconds.
I can't find it in the menus anywhere.
I don't have my manual to hand.

Does anyone know how to make this change?

Thanks

Where did you hear this rumour?

D7100 is £699 on hdew at the moment.

See it on another forum, offers start from this wednesday. It may turn out to just be a false rumour.

HDEW are grey imports I think, so no Nikon warranty here in UK.

Great, looks good. Amazon seem to be about the best price at just over £800 for body only so £700 with cashback. Any suggestion on a decent starter lens for this?

Great, looks good. Amazon seem to be about the best price at just over £800 for body only so £700 with cashback. Any suggestion on a decent starter lens for this?

Depends on budget.

Used -Nikon 18-70 is brilliant and cheap

Nikon 16-85 is pretty good. Tamron 17-50mm is good if you want f/2.8.

Nikon 17-55mm is without equal, an amazing lens, but very pricey, especially when bought new. If you have the money, this is the best standard lens for DX bar none...

Last edited:
I found the 16-85 to be an excellent lens on the D7100.

But would probably go for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if you dont need the reach.

I wonder now that d600 price dropping how many 7100 users are thinking of making the change or maybe buying to use alongside.

I decided against the d600 to go for the 7k1. Yes its full frame but the 7k1 offered more. And the lenses I had were all dx. So it wasnt a case of buying a body it was starting over and if I where to do that id have purchased a 5d2

I moved from D7100 to D600 and hooked! Well worth considering if you don't aim a load of DX lenses.

Have had to send back my second D7100. Same issues as before (focusing suddenly not working) plus menu system sometimes not working. I was unable to review pics I had just taken.

I emailed Nikon and they said there were no issues with my set up.

I dont know whether to go for a third body or just give up and change as I lost a lot of bird shots the last couple of days.

Gerard.

Seems there are good and bad, I P/ex'd my D90 for a D7100 as a second body not long after they came out and can't say I have had any problems so far, any problems are down to the idiot behind the viewfinder :D
Did originally think that the change between sensor crop sizes was a bit odd and a waste, but I now have it programmed into one of the buttons and use it quite a bit.

I, & at least one other poster on here, returned the D7100 after a frustrating time with it.
90%+ of the shots were just soft or OOF.
Hopefully though, it seems that there are fewer problems now & they have it sorted.

popped into Jessops for a look rang hubby and told him I need a new camera so that I can take a picture of my sony nex5 n

Am now the very proud owner of a D7000 :) with a tamron 18-270mm

I sold my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC. and bought the new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4 Contempary lens. Its a cracking little lens,great build quality and size and feels really well balanced on the D7100.
So far I'm very impressed with the picture quality and sharpness. Same filter size as the Tamron so happy days there too.

I sold my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC. and bought the new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4 Contempary lens. Its a cracking little lens,great build quality and size and feels really well balanced on the D7100.
So far I'm very impressed with the picture quality and sharpness. Same filter size as the Tamron so happy days there too.

I've got the same lens too and think it's great

Tried to persuade wifey I need to upgrade yesterday. What does it do different to your d3100 , she asked.

So I told her ( she didn't understand ).

She told me I only take pictures of cars and stuff so why do I need this ? I told her she has 4 or 5 pairs of boots, why does she need another pair ?

Today is my birthday. She gave me £430 as she was going to buy me an iPad but then said "perhaps you want to put it towards that camera"..

Best start saving..

Tried to persuade wifey I need to upgrade yesterday. What does it do different to your d3100 , she asked.

So I told her ( she didn't understand ).

She told me I only take pictures of cars and stuff so why do I need this ? I told her she has 4 or 5 pairs of boots, why does she need another pair ?

Today is my birthday. She gave me £430 as she was going to buy me an iPad but then said "perhaps you want to put it towards that camera"..

Best start saving..

Hdew cameras mate get ya self on there and her boots on ebay haha.

Hdew offers 3year warranty also

I'm considering picking up a D7100, I was using a D7000 earlier in the year before an upgrade to the D600, but the dust issues and cost have led me to sell it, from a lot of reading it appears theres not a huge amount to see IQ wise between the D600 and the D7100, looks like it would be a cheaper way for me to get excellent IQ than forking out for the new D610 at this point!

I'm considering picking up a D7100, I was using a D7000 earlier in the year before an upgrade to the D600, but the dust issues and cost have led me to sell it, from a lot of reading it appears theres not a huge amount to see IQ wise between the D600 and the D7100, looks like it would be a cheaper way for me to get excellent IQ than forking out for the new D610 at this point!

I thought about the 600 but went for the 7k1.. main reason was I have all dx lenses. But I must say im often finding the images are so sharp it wows me haha

Hi all,
I've been trying to work out if it's possible for the Playback display on the LV sceen to stay on until turned off? I'm finding it's very annoying when it automatically turns off after about 5 seconds.
I can't find it in the menus anywhere.
I don't have my manual to hand.

Does anyone know how to make this change?

Thanks

Menu - Custom - C4 Monitor time out

Well after much deliberation and re-reading this thread several times, I found myself at Calumet in Manchester this lunchtime and after a good play with the D7100 and following an instruction from my wife to just buy it (and yes I do have that in writing - so I'm either wondering what she has brought or my moaning about the ISO performance on D80 on grey murky mornings has got that bad - I hope its the latter).

Battery is currently charging, so will have a good play with it tomorrow

I'm very happy with my D7000 but I heard recentley from a dealer in Dubai there was a direct replacment due out imentley. I wondered what the spec was. Has anyone got any knowledge of this ?

I'm very happy with my D7000 but I heard recentley from a dealer in Dubai there was a direct replacment due out imentley. I wondered what the spec was. Has anyone got any knowledge of this ?

The D7100 has been on sale since March or something... and the D7200 soon (just a guess though).

Last edited:
D7100 has an improved 24mp sensor and a much improved 51pt auto focus system, other than that it's basically the D7000!

I don't expect we'll see the D7100 replaced for some time.

Better body? Bigger screen? Better screen? Improved video? No AA filter... its was a sufficient upgrade

Well after much deliberation and re-reading this thread several times, I found myself at Calumet in Manchester this lunchtime and after a good play with the D7100 and following an instruction from my wife to just buy it (and yes I do have that in writing - so I'm either wondering what she has brought or my moaning about the ISO performance on D80 on grey murky mornings has got that bad - I hope its the latter). Battery is currently charging, so will have a good play with it tomorrow

Let us know what you think Iffacus, I am considering a D7100, spookily from Calumet in Manchester
Tempted to hold out a bit longer to see if the mythical D400 arrives, but the 7100 with the cash back deal sounds very appealing

Thanks Phil

Let us know what you think Iffacus, I am considering a D7100, spookily from Calumet in Manchester
Tempted to hold out a bit longer to see if the mythical D400 arrives, but the 7100 with the cash back deal sounds very appealing

Thanks Phil

HI Phil, I will do. It was the £100 cashback that swung it for me. I found the staff very helpful especially when I explained what I was upgrading from and why. I was even allowed a play with a D800 & D4 :D

I did wonder about holding out for the D400/D9000 but as I had an instruction I thought I better not miss the opportunity

Chris

Back