Nikon D800

Edit My Images
No
A friend just sent me this link. Looks like we could have a 5D mk II competitor on the way.......

Nikon D800

FX
16mp
1080p
9 fps

Lets hope the video is as good as the 5D, I expect it'll be pricey as the spec is better than the D3s, hopefully not quite as much though :)

Depending on who you talk to...the existing D700 is better than the 5d mk2 anyway ;)

16mp isn't enough to merit an upgrade.

Expect something more game changing

Ah sorry didn't realise it was an old article. I guess looking at the specs it's the kind of upgrades you could of expected

We won't see the D800 at the same time as the D4 anyway. D800 won't be released till next year. I stake all my worldly belongings on it.

If they release a D800 in the Spring what will that do to D700 prices? Asssuming the D800 is around the same RRP as the D700? D700 bodies currently seem to be around £1600 new with low shutter count second hand bodies being something like £1300 or £1400.

I suppose it depends how much on an upgrade the D800 but what would people expect second hand D700's to go for? I ask because I have a budget of about £1000 for a new camera body and am wondering whether it's worth waiting to see if I could buy a D700 for that price in the spring.

If Nikon replaces models (like for like) they tend to remove the old model from circulation first so prices for the D700 would become zero along with the availability!

Nick.

If Nikon replaces models (like for like) they tend to remove the old model from circulation first so prices for the D700 would become zero along with the availability!

Nick.

The D90 is still about..

I suppose it depends how much on an upgrade the D800 but what would people expect second hand D700's to go for?

I imagine that if it has the same ISO performance but at 16 mp. Not many will upgrade. 4 MP just isn't worth it!

If they release a D800 in the Spring what will that do to D700 prices? Asssuming the D800 is around the same RRP as the D700? D700 bodies currently seem to be around £1600 new with low shutter count second hand bodies being something like £1300 or £1400.

I suppose it depends how much on an upgrade the D800 but what would people expect second hand D700's to go for? I ask because I have a budget of about £1000 for a new camera body and am wondering whether it's worth waiting to see if I could buy a D700 for that price in the spring.

I don't think the D800 will have much effect on D700 prices as I can't see many D700 owners wanting a D800 just to have Video and a few more MP.

It may well however temp existing D300/s owners waiting to upgrade from DX to FX but as a D700 owner I would not bother upgrading till I have the funds for the legendary single digit Nikon range and this will be at least 3 years possibly more.

I think people are more likely to upgrade between the 5 Nikon "ranges" than simply upgrade within a range.

The "ranges" being: 1) entry level consumer 2) advanced consumer 3) DX pro 4) FX pro compact size 5) FX pro full size

I don't think the D800 will have much effect on D700 prices as I can't see many D700 owners wanting a D800 just to have Video and a few more MP.

It may well however temp existing D300/s owners waiting to upgrade from DX to FX but as a D700 owner I would not bother upgrading till I have the funds for the legendary single digit Nikon range and this will be at least 3 years possibly more.

I think people are more likely to upgrade between the 5 Nikon "ranges" than simply upgrade within a range.

The "ranges" being: 1) entry level consumer 2) advanced consumer 3) DX pro 4) FX pro compact size 5) FX pro full size

Makes total sense. I suppose that does make you wonder how well the rumoured D800 will sell as I assume in the first year or so sales are traditionally driven by people upgrading :shrug:

I have a d90 with the 24-70mm lens but I was looking to get the D700 in time for my hols in July, until I found this thread.
I thought the D800 would be out early this year which meant a great price on a d700 or go for the newer model. Now I'm in predicament.... do i get the D700 now, as intended or wait another year (from what people are suggesting) for the new model.

If i could have stretched my budget at the time of buying the 450D i would have gone for a D90 myself.

Noblebenj said:
I have a d90 with the 24-70mm lens but I was looking to get the D700 in time for my hols in July, until I found this thread.
I thought the D800 would be out early this year which meant a great price on a d700 or go for the newer model. Now I'm in predicament.... do i get the D700 now, as intended or wait another year (from what people are suggesting) for the new model.

If you look at the price for a D7000 compared with a D90, it's almost double. I can't see the D700 replacement being less than £2,500 on launch, so the D700 would not depreciate too much at launch (whenever that is!). With Vat now increased, and no sign of the exchange rate vs yen getting better, my opinion is D700 new prices won't drop significantly.

Money is currently riding on a November 2011 announcement of the replacement for the D300... which is due for replacement before the D700 - which doesn't look like its getting a mid life refresh now. Expect maybe Jan-March 2012 before the new D4 announcement and about another 6 months for a D700 - assuming that it stays as a small bodied version of the D4 - others suggest it might become a beast of its own type.

Money is currently riding on a November 2011 announcement of the replacement for the D300... which is due for replacement before the D700 - which doesn't look like its getting a mid life refresh now. Expect maybe Jan-March 2012 before the new D4 announcement and about another 6 months for a D700 - assuming that it stays as a small bodied version of the D4 - others suggest it might become a beast of its own type.
yep I also think that the d4 will be announced and launched a few months before the d800, then again nikon may try something different this time as when the d700 launched a few months after the d3 there were a lot of angry d3 owners who could have got almost the same camera for half the price

I'm surprised this thread hasn't had more posts... MPB are unlikely to be telling porkies.

Ok, so usual Nikon secrecy and no specs yet, but this will be big... very big.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't had more posts... MPB are unlikely to be telling porkies.

Ok, so usual Nikon secrecy and no specs yet, but this will be big... very big.

unless they are going to go with the same sensor as the d3s it seems very unlikely they'd release a d800 before a d4 though.

edit and the timings wrong as well it always takes more then a month from release to the shops

Well, Nikon have a scheduled product announcement for February, I suspect that is what is talked about. Actual product obviously won't be around for 3-6 months after that!

I have a feeling that the D800 and the D4 will not be equivalents like the D700 and D3 were too... which would explain the out of step.

The D4 will definitely be ready for the 2012 Olympics because that is a battleground that Nikon need to win.

Hope the news is true, but doesn't seem concrete.

From MPB Photographic's twitter:
'Nothing official......founded conjecture. Pricing D700's for indication only at this stage....'

Hope the news is true, but doesn't seem concrete.

From MPB Photographic's twitter:
'Nothing official......founded conjecture. Pricing D700's for indication only at this stage....'

Think you may have missed the tweet below "To all you D700 owners out there looks like the new D800 is on its way next month contact us now for any queries http://biSPAM/fy00T3"

Think you may have missed the tweet below "To all you D700 owners out there looks like the new D800 is on its way next month contact us now for any queries http://biSPAM/fy00T3"

Yes, but the 'Nothing official.....founded conjecture' was a follow up tweet to the first one, so they have nothing concrete at the moment.

Yeah, that was their initial tweet. However, Nikonrumors.com queried them on this information and they replied by saying it wasn't anything official. :|

^^ Dman beat me to it lol

Yeah, that was their initial tweet. However, Nikonrumors.com queried them on this information and they replied by saying it wasn't anything official. :|

^^ Dman beat me to it lol

Rubbish!! I did wonder....why would Nikon leak through a used equipment retailer rather than annouce at a trade show or something.

Oops, should open my eyes more!

Back