Nikon F6

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
I have a persistant itch.

I'm currently satiating my love of film with a Bessa R3M, a Minox 35ML, a Noon pinhole and a couple of Fuji Instax cameras.

But I've recently taken to looking at reviews of the Nikon F6. I know it's wrong but I can't seem to help myself.

I was wondering if anyone here has one. Should I? Shouldn't I? Every review I've read is positive - can't say I've read anything bad about them.

I'd value your opinions.

I no longer shoot film much these days ... but if I did this would be one of the 35mm slr cameras I'd covet. Basically they are the pinnacle of Nikon's slr era (still made and sold too). Even though I don't shoot much film, I'm still tempted ;) though a nice condition F100 would do nicely too.

Of course every review you've read is positive… but is it the point?
I mean if your shooting film like most shoot digital, stay or go digital.

A film body is for connoisseurs that enjoy the act of photography as
a contemplative approach to beauty and story telling… with some zen
quietness in the eye and, in the brain, the excited drive of the hunter.

If so, I would got for it only if you need the AF. Should you not need it,
I would strongly recommend the FM2 or the F3HP.

Have a good time!

In some respects the F6 is a backwards step from the F5. My heart wants an F6 to complete my set of F bodies but my head says it doesn't do enough over the F5 to merit the cost.

This is one serious case of GAS :)

In some respects the F6 is a backwards step from the F5. My heart wants an F6 to complete my set of F bodies but my head says it doesn't do enough over the F5 to merit the cost.

Really? Can't agree I'm afraid!

I'm currently satiating my love of film with a Bessa R3M, a Minox 35ML, a Noon pinhole and a couple of Fuji Instax cameras.

But I've recently taken to looking at reviews of the Nikon F6. I know it's wrong but I can't seem to help myself.

I was wondering if anyone here has one. Should I? Shouldn't I? Every review I've read is positive - can't say I've read anything bad about them.

I'd value your opinions.

I have an F6. Fab camera. Not a war zone camera body like the F5 more a precision crafted exquisite pinnacle of film camera technology. As an engineer I appreciate the finesse. It doesn't have an integral battery grip so is more usable than an F5, more focus points and integrates with the Nikon CLS flash system. Also more customization with more menu options. The rear display allows on the fly reading of exposure / metadata and as per the F5 can be CSV downloaded. It is the camera I take on my travels paired with a D800. Your problem will be getting one at a good condition / price point. Mine was mint and still is, when bought from Japan it had had 5 rolls through it. Happily flog one of my F5's but not the F6.

Last edited:

I'd value your opinions.

...but what are you going to use it for other than polishing or display...yeah I know to take photos, but do all the much cheaper cameras hinder your skill as a photographer ;)

Last edited:
I can't help agreeing with Brian. I understand the problem of GAS but if I'm going to spend £700 (at least) on what is essentially a DSLR without the sensor I'd rather just buy the D750. At least with medium format film bodies you can't get the digital equivalent for anywhere near the same price.

Each to their own though of course.

And I agree with that too.

I do understand though, if you have an itch, you have to scratch it.

Really? Can't agree I'm afraid!
Read & compared the specs & the only bit that stood out as interesting was the better metering options with AI lenses.

Everything else the F5 does more than well enough to keep me happy the at the moment one time a year that it gets dusted off :-D

It's a personal opinion but I can't see the worth in dropping so much money on a camera that offers ME so little over the F5. Think I would rather spend that level of money on a new DSLR.

Last edited:

Love of film eh ?

I dunno how you're gonna keep that rolling with this dslr you've gotta buy instead........:ROFLMAO:

Think I would rather spend that level of money on a new DSLR.

But where else will get a shiny clean 'sensor' every shot? And every function you could ever imagine?

Well I've learnt something in this thread...am I right in that the F6's meter can read\see colours for exposure..if so, then all digi cameras must do as well.

Last edited:
But where else will get a shiny clean 'sensor' every shot? And every function you could ever imagine?
Have never had a dirty sensor problem with my ancient lowly Nikon D3000 in 7 years now. Function's I actually want & need? At the moment my go to cameras are mostly a Nikon F2 & an Olympus OM1. Their few functions suit me perfectly most of the time....mostly unless I need AF to chase the granddaughter.

Read & compared the specs & the only bit that stood out as interesting was the better metering options with AI lenses.

Everything else the F5 does more than well enough to keep me happy the at the moment one time a year that it gets dusted off :-D

It's a personal opinion but I can't see the worth in dropping so much money on a camera that offers ME so little over the F5. Think I would rather spend that level of money on a new DSLR.

Specs won't tell you anything about the soul or character of the camera or how it becomes part of you. For example despite the d800 being top of the pops I have never gelled with the auto focus controls. That's why I have the D3x bodies. The other reason is I don't get why higher resolution of the d800 is better in portraiture if I then have to take out the imperfections in post. 24mp is the optimum. Pretty soon I will be offloading the d800s

The camera you choose is the vehicle you choose to get you there. I personally prefer those that become an extension of me. The F6 is one of those cameras.

Specs won't tell you anything about the soul or character of the camera or how it becomes part of you. For example despite the d800 being top of the pops I have never gelled with the auto focus controls. That's why I have the D3x bodies. The other reason is I don't get why higher resolution of the d800 is better in portraiture if I then have to take out the imperfections in post. 24mp is the optimum. Pretty soon I will be offloading the d800s

The camera you choose is the vehicle you choose to get you there. I personally prefer those that become an extension of me. The F6 is one of those cameras.

H'mm different view about cameras:- for me it's more about lenses and horses for courses for camera bodies e.g. F90x for the grandchildren, MF if I have the chance for some lovely scenery, and for general 35mm shooting don't mind using from a MTL3 to a T90 and any camera that's not reliable gets thrown away. So if I had a F6 it would be used (like the T90) for special occasions with a flash combo say for weddings, but even then would probably decide to use a ETRSi for better quality results OR maybe use both if it was for family where I would take many more shots.

I too use different cameras alone or in combination for different uses and end results. The point I'm making is that one needs to feel comfortable using a camera not awkward and specs alone are not enough. Why else would you road test a car before buying?

Last edited:
I too use different cameras alone or in combination for different uses and end results. The point I'm making is that one needs to feel comfortable using a camera not awkward and specs alone are not enough. Why else would you road test a car before buying?

I tend to agree with this. For example, I have had 2 Fuji G690's, a mk1 and a mk111, they are stunningly good cameras but I felt like I was shooting with a large plastic brick. I got joy from the images but not from their taking. Conversely I had a Voigtlander R3a which was probably the nicest camera to use that I have owned and for some strange reason I sold it :thinking: I will be getting another one at some point. :banana:

Accepting it might cause a s***storm I don't think I'd buy a Leica 240 on spec alone you'd probably go Fuji or Sony! But when I had one for a day I was absolutely smitten! Trying to work out whether to replace my car or buy into Leica..... Or not eat and get both.

Thanks for all of your comments and insight.

I think that may have tipped me over the edge. If it handles as well as the D810, I won't be unhappy. I foresee a trip to Pimlico in the near future.

Thanks for all of your comments and insight.

I think that may have tipped me over the edge. If it handles as well as the D810, I won't be unhappy. I foresee a trip to Pimlico in the near future.

I'd check out reviews for the F6 as the F100 is fairly close for a lot less money...for me, ignoring AF the Canon T90 takes some beating and it can use older Nikkor, M42 and T mount lenses with adapters and goes for peanuts in comparison.

It's not about spec. If life was about spec and price points we'd all be driving Korean cars! Enjoy the journey! Isn't that what film is about too?

The F100 is a Lot less for a reason and that reason is the plastic feel of the camera! I have one and it hardly gets an outing. Plus iirc it doesn't have the autofocus points the F6 does.

Last edited:
Lot less for a reason and that reason is the plastic feel of the camera! I have one and it hardly gets an outing. Plus iirc it doesn't have the autofocus points the F6 does.

Oh dear, that should upset the F100 owners :D

Its not going to upset F100 owners because they know what they are buying and the thing is an excellent bit of kit for the money, this doesn't of course satisfy everyone.
Some peeps would buy a T90 instead, because it does what they want it to do at the price they want to pay, conversely some peeps would not be happy with the F100 and are prepared to spend more to have what they want.
We are all subject to the limitations of budget, that level varies enormously from person to person, but besides that there is that psychological factor.

Personally, I have a budget limitation of course, but its a small factor in an array a factors to consider, its not the beginning, middle and end of a decision to buy something.

As our lass always say's........(usually when she wants something expensive).....ahem.....ya can't put a price on happiness..:ROFLMAO:

I want an Xpan

I just don't want one enough or I'd have one by now

I get the impression that some peeps gleem their "happiness" from spending as little as possible, the product they acquire seems almost secondary, that's their thing.......it takes all sorts to make a World..:)

I want an Xpan

I just don't want one enough or I'd have one by now

me too... though the other thing that's holding me back is that I've never really got on with ANY other rangefinder cameras - I think i'm just a SLR kind of shooter...

I want an Xpan..:)

Well yes I agree with that sentiment! I did price one up today. Ouch - wouldn't be able to eat for a considerable time. Not a bad thing!

Its not going to upset F100 owners because they know what they are buying and the thing is an excellent bit of kit for the money, this doesn't of course satisfy everyone.
Some peeps would buy a T90 instead, because it does what they want it to do at the price they want to pay, conversely some peeps would not be happy with the F100 and are prepared to spend more to have what they want.
We are all subject to the limitations of budget, that level varies enormously from person to person, but besides that there is that psychological factor.

Personally, I have a budget limitation of course, but its a small factor in an array a factors to consider, its not the beginning, middle and end of a decision to buy something.

As our lass always say's........(usually when she wants something expensive).....ahem.....ya can't put a price on happiness..:ROFLMAO:

Well of course if you have the money get what you like, you only have one life....but if you can't take great shots with a MTL3, T90 or F100 then a F6 is not going to make any difference. ;)

Well of course if you have the money get what you like, you only have one life....but if you can't take great shots with a MTL3, T90 or F100 then a F6 is not going to make any difference. ;)

Like the saying goes, "If you can't drive, buy a BMW."

Objectively this is true; but a lot of photography is (or should be) subjective. Surely it's possible that pride of ownership might translate into taking a little more care in the use of the camera, and by increasing thinking about what you're doing, you might do it better. Or you may find that some cameras work better for you - there are some cameras I've handled/used which have seen me fighting the camera because I work in a different way to the way the designer wants me to. Or even the excitement of getting a new camera might make you go out to use it, and, because you're determined to use it, you actually look about you for subjects and see things that you'd otherwise walk past.

Personally, I think all NIkons after the F3 have been ugly :exit:

hmm.....its a theory Brian but if you can say that about an F6, if that's all its about, why go to the extraordinary extravagance of a T90, surely if you can't take decent shots with a PAS that does everything for you, what difference will a T90 make with all that proper glass in the lens and fancy AF..:)

It's not just about the result (see above) it's about the tactility of the journey

Objectively this is true; but a lot of photography is (or should be) subjective. Surely it's possible that pride of ownership might translate into taking a little more care in the use of the camera, and by increasing thinking about what you're doing, you might do it better. Or you may find that some cameras work better for you - there are some cameras I've handled/used which have seen me fighting the camera because I work in a different way to the way the designer wants me to. Or even the excitement of getting a new camera might make you go out to use it, and, because you're determined to use it, you actually look about you for subjects and see things that you'd otherwise walk past.

Personally, I think all NIkons after the F3 have been ugly :exit:

Spot on! Well except the F3 bit (didn't guigario design that one?)

Some name like that anyway. It's the go-faster red stripe that makes it distinctive...

Back