Nikon Fit, Weather sealed lenses?

Edit My Images
Yes
What lenses are weather sealed for a Nikon camera. Is there some type of ID on Nikon, Sigma etc lenses?

There are no weather sealed lenses in Nikon fit. Best you will get is a gasket on the mount.

Its to stop sand etc getting inside the lens.

I don't really understand your reply.

Are you saying the gasket is supposed to stop sand, or you plan to shoot in sandy conditions (which IMHO isn't a lot to do with weather...)

Anyhow there is no weather sealing on Nikon lenses.

I've had a couple of lenses that dust got in side. Both were zoom lenses. I also have some that that hasn't happened to as well, just to point out.:) However I was thinking with the airdisplay on Bournemouth Beach (if you want to get close to the Aircraft) & with possibly rainy conditions, a weather proof lens would be ideal. But if they are not made then I can't do much about it.

Other than the sealing they come with - I've used Nikon lenses in Iraq and Afghanistan with no problems...I carry both my cameras on my shoulders at all times when on deployment - they only get put away at the end of a job - out on the ground they're exposed to all weathers...
If it's very wet, I try to use a rain-cover, but I usually forget to bring it with me...no problems with water-ingress so far...including a complete soaking when I fell over during a river-crossing!
Even in quite severe dusty conditions, as long as you take basic precautions (I try to wrap a cloth over the lenses when I'm travelling in the back of armoured vehicles as fine dust and sand blow everywhere), you'll be fine as long as you buy the more expensive models - the cheaper lenses are less well sealed...

(I try to wrap a cloth over the lenses when I'm travelling in the back of armoured vehicles as fine dust and sand blow everywhere), you'll be fine as long as you buy the more expensive models - the cheaper lenses are less well sealed...

That's exactly what I do in the deserts of Saudi Arabia; only I make sure my small towels are a bit moist. Somehow I believe being a bit moist holds the dust / sand particles better :shrug:

That's exactly what I do in the deserts of Saudi Arabia; only I make sure my small towels are a bit moist. Somehow I believe being a bit moist holds the dust / sand particles better :shrug:

How is the D40 holding up, Wail? have you managed to kill it yet? :nuts:

Back