Nikon focus calibration...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
And for my third thread today... :)

I suspect my focussing is slightly off so need to get it sorted - do I send it to a Nikon department here in the UK (obviously at a charge as it's out of warranty) or is there another option for recalibration?

I've heard of people actually changing the focus manually themselves but this sounds a bit risky with my inability to do anything fiddly. :) If it's the official Nikon route then any idea about charges and where to start?...

You can fine tune the AF on a D300 via the menu, not on the D200, why do you suspect the focus is off?
Allan

Just a few instances, especially on the 80-200m, where when shooting at below f/4 even the focus area is a bit soft and not the sharpest part. That's usually a little way past the focus point. It's not life threatening or anything, just something I'd like to get sorted in time

I know there is an issue with the 80-200AF-D where it can be soft when used at 200mm at or near the minimum focus distance. Mine was soft at 200mm focusing up to about 20 meters away, after that it was fine but I sent mine back because I thought it was a fault. Most Nikon camera manuals list this problem.
But, if you have this with all your lenses then a service centre is the only way to go.

Allan

Should you decide to get it looked at, I can recommend Fixation in London (an approved Nikon repairer) they will look at it for you and give you an estimate if they find anything within 48hrs. I think they had a guide cost of common repairs/cleaning/calibration on their website, but they are very helpful over the phone. Worth a call at least, they know their Nikons (y)

You could check my taking some shots (tripod) of say 3 AA batteries standing on end, arranged across the frame, each the width of a battery further away, and check focus is correct on the center one.

You could also check with a comparison with CD AF via live view, as the mechanism is different.

May be worth seeing it it really is AF being returning?

Back