Nikon gear

Edit My Images
No
Hi
Decided to return to photography after a long stint away, I use to use canon 100- 400mm, canon 50d but sold them on ages ago, would like buy Nikon for a change but need a pointer in the right diredirection, would like equivalent of a 7d mk1 or mk2 and a 400mm zoom lens second hand. Any help appreciated I guess a budget off say £1500 to £2000. If possible.!

Ta very much.

You can buy a D3 for 900 pounds or D700 for 700 pounds. And then spend the money on the 80-400mm VR AFS.

Those two body is full frame with pro body build.

If you want crop body with pro build standard you can buy D300 or D300s for 250-300 pounds. That would give you enough money to buy the zoom and some prime.

Best bang-for-buck right now has to be a used D7100 ? Couple this with a used Tamron 17-50VR, used Sigma 70-200f2.8 and a new Sigma 150-600C for a nice set-up which is within budget. Add a 35 or 50 prime if you want to spend the £2k. Just my £0.02.

Have to add to my post above that I just got the D7200/18-140 set-up recommended by minnnt above and it is really nice. My recommended set-up has f2.8 up to 200mm and I do prefer fixed FL lenses. Also, prefer the Sigma150-600C to the Tamron equivalent though.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the feedback, thanks to all, will research the lot.

Something you may want to decide is brand new DX camera or used FX camera. I would invest on quality lens first.

D700's can be picked up for as little as £500 and are great! Robust, pro build - like a tank really! IQ just as good as a D3 but not as heavy although the D3 is a great camera too! A D3s however is exceptional and still stands above anything in high ISO tests........hmmmm...decisions decisions [emoji328]

Hi, thank you, decided on 150 600 sigma and a fx camera though not sure which one yet.

D3 or D3s simply because is cheap, pro build, build in grip and balance well with heavy lens.

Comfortable to shoot with and the battery also last ages as well.

Back