Nikon lens questions

Edit My Images
Yes
As a Canon user, I know virtually nothing about Nikon's lens range.

At the moment, I have an 85mm F1.8, 70-200 F4L and 24-105 F4L.
I can see that there is an equivalent to my Canon 85mm, but there appears to be a big hole in the range between the variable aperture Nikon zooms and their more serious F2.8 range.
I assume that the F2.8s are rather good, but I'm quite happy at F4 and the implications for both cost savings and weight.

If you exclude the third party options of Sigma and Tamron, what options are there within the Nikon range?

You have highlighted two major weak spots for Nikon. Nobody else makes anything like the 24-105L 4 IS which IMHO is one of the best reasons to get a full frame Canon. And the closest you'll get to your Canon 70-200L 4 is probably the Nikon 70-300 VR. It is a very good lens, but Nikon are really missing a trick there.

You have highlighted two major weak spots for Nikon. Nobody else makes anything like the 24-105L 4 IS which IMHO is one of the best reasons to get a full frame Canon. And the closest you'll get to your Canon 70-200L 4 is probably the Nikon 70-300 VR. It is a very good lens, but Nikon are really missing a trick there.
Agreed 100%.

It's probably also worth pointing out that your Canon 85/1.8 is USM, but Nikon's equivalent has their first-generation body-drive AF system. Its autofocus will probably seem very slow and noisy compared to what you're used to.

Oh well, so much for that idea then.
I moved from a 1D to a 5D a few months ago, and whilst the images the 5D produces are awesome when everything comes together, it has nothing like the keeper rate of the 1D. The reason is clearly the AF.
I'm conscious that the D700 is pretty much a 5D with 1D level AF and build, so started looking at what the change would really involve.

The D700 does sound like a great idea, but not if I'd end up mating it with lenses that are worse than what I already have. Guess I'll simply have to get better with my 5D and wait for Canon to release a FF mid size body with good AF. I know the rumours are that the 7D will have nearly 1D AF, but as an ex-film user, FF has always seemed rather a good idea.

When I moved to nikon this was one concern I had, as Canon could offer a much wider range of lenses to suit a much wider range of budget. I suppose this is maybe why, as a brand, Canon is the first port of call for many consumers who know nothing about photography. Good marketing indeed.

However, I do believe that NAF high-end lenses are as good as, if not better, than the CAF ones and you do pay the premium for that. It's marginal and probably seems so to me because I want to see it that way - that's brand loyalty for you :)

As far as an alternative to the 70-200 f/4 you have currently then you'd have to go for a 80-200mm f/2.8 as the only serious NAF contender at the price; the 70-200mm VR is just way too expensive at £1500.

Just on a final note, it's amazing how you adapt your style to the lenses you have. Looking beyond the obvious differences in focal length and zoom range can get you thinking about what focal lengths you actually use - you'll be amazed at what you don't use from your current lenses..

...you'll be amazed at what you don't use from your current lenses..

Funny you mention that, I re-organised most of my kit in the last 3 months and have cut things down to just three lenses that I regularly use. So I'm in the right ballpark for my present usage.
As mentioned, I think I'll sit tight and wait until Canon release an FF camera with good AF, probably going to be just as fast as waiting for Nikon to release the lens set I want.

Don't do it mate.

There is no Nikon lens to compete with the 24-105.

I changed recently to Canon for a few reasons, one of which was so that I could have the 24-105.

I'm VERY glad I did........

Agreed 100%.

It's probably also worth pointing out that your Canon 85/1.8 is USM, but Nikon's equivalent has their first-generation body-drive AF system. Its autofocus will probably seem very slow and noisy compared to what you're used to.

The af is fast, not silent but a long way from your very slow and noisy, compared to what anybody is used to.

Not sure about the CA and bokeh, but that's another story..

I think I'll sit tight and wait until Canon release an FF camera with good AF, probably going to be just as fast as waiting for Nikon to release the lens set I want.

They won't, because nobody else cares, you don't miss what you've never had, you just use something else...:)

Back