NSFW Nikon Repair Experience

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought people might be interested in the Nikon repair service.

Took the 3 week old, brand new Z7 out for the first time in late August . Slipped on some rocks but thought I’d been able to hold it up in the air enough to save it. Bashed my head, few minutes unconscious but only a little blood.

Got home to find the exposure compensation button is jammed in so none of the other buttons worked. Nikon have a repair service so I booked it in. UPS picked it up (Nikon provided a shipping label) and it traveled to Normanton near Leeds. The email from Nikon said it may go to Amsterdam and would take around 25 days for a cost estimate. In the end it was a lot quicker, they got the camera 5th September and sent the cost on the 12th. It was quite detailed even down to the double sided tape they’d use! I’m not sure if it left the U.K. but the box it arrived back in didn’t have a return address.

I received it back today which was a bit longer than expected. Nikon emailed a couple of times to say they were having trouble getting some parts and there’s a portal you can log into but there wasn’t much in the way of updates. If they’re waiting for parts there’s not much they can do really.

When it came back it looked new, but then again it’d only been out of the house once. Settings had been factory reset but the number of images taken was roughly the same.

A rather pricy experience with a touch of concussion built in but at least I have my camera back. The invoice has blasted a hole in my budget for some new filters but hey ho.

Attachments

• B81F563F-33E1-4139-A833-633B8FAB3F0A.jpeg
    B81F563F-33E1-4139-A833-633B8FAB3F0A.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 353DF7C6-B866-4FFC-B27E-515B249EF4F4.jpeg
    353DF7C6-B866-4FFC-B27E-515B249EF4F4.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 79
I don't know why you set this to Not Safe For Work, but glad you got the camera back and more importantly you haven't suffered any further problems for bashing your head - if you were knocked out you should have gone to A&E really

I don't know why you set this to Not Safe For Work, but glad you got the camera back and more importantly you haven't suffered any further problems for bashing your head - if you were knocked out you should have gone to A&E really
Contains images of broken kit that could be distressing . I did go to A&E after a couple of days, they found a brain which is about as much as could be expected.

Sorry to hear of your experience Yukyum. Sad to say you're not the only person that has had such an experience. Last year I sent my D750 off for an AF issue after a fall and it ended up being sent to Croatia - twice! Why twice? Because when it came back the first time it failed pre-delivery quality control and had to be sent back. In total I think they had the camera for about 3 months. On the upside they did the job for free :)

The full saga is detailed in the D750 thread - it's not good reading. I have to say though that for me this was a one-off and I've had much better experiences with them so I would still use them again. I suspect that they let a number of their own technicians go during Covid so are a bit short staffed; but it's no excuse for shoddy service.

I think I’d put up with a delay if the work was free. I guess at least we know any repairs are done to a good standard when being done by the manufacturer. Although I used to say that about Mercedes…

Ha! My Merc hasn't seen the inside of a stealer dealer since the day I bought it ... and never will whilst I own it.

That's a pretty reasonable price for the work. I've always found Nikon UK to offer excellent service but lacking in the qc department haha I've had one lens go back and forth 5 times....

One thing they've always been great at, if something comes back and you're not happy with it, there's never a hesitation to ship it back for rework

Back