Nikon V1

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
For a long time I've thought about a Nikon V1 with its 2.7 crop factor.
With the FT-1 adapter you can of course use normal Nikon lenses which, on the surface, seems to lend it toward use for photographing small birds with a long lens.
I say "on the surface" because I have no experience of the camera or how it works with the usual AF-S lenses ... does it AF okay, for example?
What are the upsides and downsides?

A very much under-rated camera - if I had to make a choice I'd take the V2 over the V1.

Upsides - tremendous reach with very little loss of image quality (starting with good glass though). Excellent handling
Downside - looks silly! Not really found any aside from hand-holding but most of my lenses are VR so never been a problem.

DSC_3807 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

This album contains all handheld shots on a V1 with a 70-200mm F2.8 VR

Thanks Barry, other than a few extra Mp, what is the advantage of the V2?

Thanks Barry, other than a few extra Mp, what is the advantage of the V2?

Biggest plus for me was the re-arranging of the dials/switches. I was constantly knocking one of the dials on the back to something else. My wife still uses daily her V1 and I have the V2. It does feel different too. Didn't fancy the V3 because the viewfinder was an extra :(

Having said that the V1 uses the same battery as the D7xxx D8xx and D750.... V2 is yet another battery type :(

I've had both in the past, and agree with Barry that i much preferred the V2. Ergonomics and accessibility was the issue on the V1, where as the V2 the new grip solved the handling issues and a proper mode dial solved a lot of the accessibility issues. Also the V2 came with a nice (but quite weak) built in pop up flash for P&S work where as the V1 didn't come with a flash.

Both can also be equipped as well with Nikon's neat GPS module which fits into the accessory port and really did work. Image quality wise, the step up from 10mp (V1) to 14mp (V2) didn't seem to do much harm to the noise and DR levels, but around ISO800 was my cap (ISO400 preferred). A great little camera and the first exponent of the now familiar 1" sensor that Nikon could have made so much more of if they had committed to it properly.

Here's couple of examples with the V2 @ ISO160 & ISO800. The first with my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Vr and the second with my Nikon 300mm F4 AFS

Last edited:
I found panning to be very difficult with the V1 because of the last picture preview feature. I do not think they ever changed the software in the V1 so this could be stopped. I know that you could turn it off in the V2 though.

Thanks guys ... food for thought :)

The V2 is nice for hand holding with long lenses,i used mine with a few different Sigma lenses,i could hand hold the 150-600 @ 600 better than my D7200,dont be tempted with the very latest models with out checking,Nikon stopped them from working with some Nikon long lenses.

The V2 is nice for hand holding with long lenses,i used mine with a few different Sigma lenses,i could hand hold the 150-600 @ 600 better than my D7200,dont be tempted with the very latest models with out checking,Nikon stopped them from working with some Nikon long lenses.
Thanks Mike, it's a whim so it would be a V1 most likely :)

I would echo pretty much whats been said above, never got around to upgrading to a V2 but would like one. the V1 handles much better with long lenses if you get a cheap chinese grip!

I would echo pretty much whats been said above, never got around to upgrading to a V2 but would like one. the V1 handles much better with long lenses if you get a cheap chinese grip!

Thanks ... TBH it would probably be used with a gimbal & tripod :)

I've only really played with long lenses on my V1 and it worked very well. Not as fast as a DSLR when it comes to AF speed and there is some shutter delay which could be a problem. Not ideal for high ISO but 800 is OK. Looks funny with a 600mm f/4 on a telecon!

Enjoying my V1 again. Just brought a 70-300 CX mount, bit pricey but..........

plenty of reach

Mr Moon.jpg

A couple with my favourite lens, the 18.5mm

general (1 of 1)-6.jpg

general (1 of 1)-7.jpg

My reading says that using standard lenses with the FT-1 adapter only the single centre-point AF works ... is that so?

I need to get saving for a V2 and FT-1 adapter - would go beautifully on my 600mm!

My reading says that using standard lenses with the FT-1 adapter only the single centre-point AF works ... is that so?

Thats what i found with the V2,i did read there was a firmware upgrade which changed it,i never checked though as it also reduced what Sigma lenses it would work with.you know what prats Nikon can be.

Back