Nikon vs Canon Full frame

Edit My Images
Yes
I got a Canon 60D and I'm thinking about moving to full frame. As I have to change on of my lenses too I'm wondering if I keep on Canon and buy the 6D or move to Nikon and buy D600 or D700. I've sent hours reading forums and I'm still confused. I do mainly street photography, and some weddings works but I'm not a professional.
Most of sites say Nikon quality image is better than Canon.
Any ideas?
Tank you

Jonas

Go to a shop and see how they feel in your hands you may find that one has ergonomics that you like over the other...go with the one that feels best in your hand...also try and play with menus as you may find it hard to transfer from canon menus to Nikon...also I myself struggle to understand the different lens that Nikon have such as some will only auto focus on certain bodies :eek: not a clue

As to image quality I find it hard to believe there will be any real life differences to pick one over the other on the comparable level of camera

They are both the same, it's like comparing Apple to Oranges, they are both tasty, but which one suits you is personal preference.

If you've no problem with handling of 60D, then a 6D will be pretty much the same, just bigger sensor and more features.

If you feel 60D handling isn't for you, it's worth trying Nikon out.

Surely you are'nt buying cameras based on how it physically feels?

When I was buying a DSLR couple of years ago the specs on the two I had chosen were so close that the decision came down to ergonomics.

The only requirement specified in this thread was 'full frame'.

Are Nikon still way ahead of Canon in dynamic range or have Canon closed the gap?

Although the Nikon's sensor is fantastic, don't forget that you're buying into a whole system, and sensor quality (although obviously an important consideration ) isn't the be all and end all of making a camera choice. Feel and features are just as important

@ Jamie

If it doesn't feel good to use or you are not comfortable with it then you won't use it as you should.

....I couldn't agree more.

A camera is just a tool you use to capture images and express yourself. The basics of photography haven't changed.

I think Richard is referring to more than just the feel of the body and means the feel of all the controls a camera offers. It's a very tactile tool.

A few points here and there on some scientific scale are really not going to make a difference to the majority of shooters, there really aren't any/many bad cameras out there any more.

Handling, button positioning, menus etc are far more likely to have an impact on getting the shot. I would also put the range of lenses at the right price point for you well above ultimate scores of the body in a review.

I had a OMD EM5 for a while and just could not gel with it, all the reviews say it's a great camera, but that means nothing if you keep accidentally knocking settings or can't access the things you need quickly enough.

Last edited:

Some years ago (pre digital), I made a list of all the bodies that met the specs I wanted and were in my budget then visited a shop that stocked them to have a play. The Nikon fitted me best so I ended up with a Nikon F65. Almost went to Canon when the D60 (?) dropped to under a grand but then the D70 (Nikon) dropped due to the D70s being released so I had a fondle of that and the Nikon still felt better than the Canon so I stayed in the Nikon system. I now have way too much Nikon fit kit to swap (and since I have 2 FF bodies, can't see much need to upgrade again for a while!)

@ Robin.

That is correct.
Many years ago I purchased a Mamiya TLR (6x6cm) and for a lot of the time I really didn't like using it even though the IQ ran rings around 35mm. Only kept it for about a year before I sold it.

Personally I think nowdays all the major systems are good so really the only decisions are ergnomics, lens selection and budget.

As Nod says make your choice carefully as once you a substantially locked into a system then that it is - unless you have a huge pile of disposible income.

Hi,
I shoot Nikon a) because I have historically preferred the ergonomics of Nikon bodies and b) because I have a collection of Nikon lenses. Honestly though I doubt that there's really any appreciable difference in image quality between equivalent Canon and Nikon cameras.

Nikon have probably got the best sensors in terms of dynamic range. They have a deal with Sony for them. Canon lag a little behind in sensor development. But you should choose the camera that best provides for your needs. A friend has a D800 and every time I see an image from it I am blown away by its resolution. But to me thats all it has going for it and my needs are better met by my 5D MkIII

Dont get too hung up on lab tests. In the real world they are all good.

Nikon have probably got the best sensors in terms of dynamic range. They have a deal with Sony for them. Canon lag a little behind in sensor development. But you should choose the camera that best provides for your needs. A friend has a D800 and every time I see an image from it I am blown away by its resolution. But to me thats all it has going for it and my needs are better met by my 5D MkIII

Dont get too hung up on lab tests. In the real world they are all good.

This!

I have a D600 at the moment, but I'm currently in the process of switching to a 5d Mkiii. The D600's sensor scores much higher than the Canons in DXO Labs ( and as I said it is a great sensor), but for what I want to shoot the Canon is much better equipped.

People will argue over brand, sensor abilities, etc for ever, but any of today's cameras ( esp FF ) are capable of stunning results when used properly.

i'm guessing you don't already have a selection of decent Nikon lenses then ? :shrug:

When I was first looking for a dslr I was far more confused by Nikon with some bodies having built in stabilization and some not and also some lenses and some not. I found Canon's system much easier to understand and I'd ordered a 550D before even holding one. When I got it I found it small, like I have done with all bodies without a grip, but perfectly fitted where it mattered for the buttons. Once I'd got a grip to make it fit my hands better it was fantastic, and still one of my favourite cameras to date.

The lenses are also worth taking a good look at. I knew I was going to need a long lens right from the start as I wanted to shoot wildlife and aviation and coming from a long reach bridge camera the lens prices and availability were key to start with.

As a relative novice to DSLR, i was faced with the same dilemma as you. I had had both canon and Nikon as PaS cameras and i found both fussy operating systems.
Do yourself a favour, go into somewhere like Calumet and tell them what you want. They always have cameras to hold and try out and have a ton of good advice.

I settled for a Nikon D600 and i am not disappointed but I am sure there are others out there who went for Canon.

Last edited:
When I was first looking for a dslr I was far more confused by Nikon with some bodies having built in stabilization and some not and also some lenses and some not. I found Canon's system much easier to understand and I'd ordered a 550D before even holding one. When I got it I found it small, like I have done with all bodies without a grip, but perfectly fitted where it mattered for the buttons. Once I'd got a grip to make it fit my hands better it was fantastic, and still one of my favourite cameras to date.

The lenses are also worth taking a good look at. I knew I was going to need a long lens right from the start as I wanted to shoot wildlife and aviation and coming from a long reach bridge camera the lens prices and availability were key to start with.

Did Nikon ever have in-body stabilisation? The VR lenses are stabilised, but I've never seen a body that was...

Just moved up from the 60D to the 6D, very pleased with the switch and the image quality. As others have said they are very similar in feel and layout so you will find the switch very easy if you stick with Canon.

Im in a similar position, I will be selling all my Sony stuff for either a D600 or 6D, they both take incredible images, i would be more than happy with either but it will probably come down to handling in the end and maybe the choice of kit available, which nowadays theres hardly anything in it.

Lol, I did mean the bodies with built in AF motors, see I'm still finding Nikon confusing. I've had 7 or 8 Canon bodies throughout the time and I've found all have been easy to handle and get used to and the main thing they have all been comfortable, once I've got a grip on the bodies anyway. I had a 1D Mk3 recently which was just about the perfect size and weight for me to be comfortable with but I know that some people with smaller hands find them too large and heavy.

Back