Nikon Wildlife Lens on Budget

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

My girlfriend is getting into wildlife photography so she wants a lens but can only spend around £200-£300 (lower the better if possible). She can use my old Nikon D5000 so doesn't need a body. Obviously have to be second hand that's not a problem, just not sure what sort of lenses we should be looking at as I've always looked at much higher end lenses than this.

Any advice appreciated! :)
Cheers

I still use my old Tamron 70-300mm VC as a walkabout wildlife lens when i don't want to lug around my 300mm, and i still highly rate it for the money, can be picked up quite cheap 2nd hand too

Nikon 70-300 VR or Tamron 70-300 VC - both excellent value for money, the tammy will probably be cheaper.

ETA: Bothe will AF on the D5000 too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to give her more options, is there anything out there towards the £300 mark just to give her the option? The tammy seems to be £239 new, which makes me think she could get something better second hand for £300, or is there nothing out there? I might be wrong and there's suddenly a big jump between these lenses and the primes, so any info is appreciated! :)

70-300 would be my choice on a low budget (and indeed I have one of the Nikkors - the VR version) and should be long enough on a crop body for most purposes. You might find an old Sigma 170-500 at about that budget but it won't be an OS/VR/VC version.

Looks like the tamron is the way to go then judging by what I've been reading. Thanks for your help everybody!

Go for ther Nikon..it will produce better images, and last longer

agreed, I have had mine for "donkey's years" ......... sold a Tamron when I bought it

always been very pleased in all departments

I had the nikon 70-300 vr, it's a great lens and highly recommended in this price bracket. It's gets softer over 250mm but that's expected at this price range. Goes for around £210-230 used so good value. The next step is a 300mm f4 AF-S prime but they are around £600. I wouldn't bother with a Teleconverter on any 70-300, iq will be reduced so will AF speed. They are better with f4 or f2.8 lenses.

Another vote for the Nikon 70-300 it's a great lens for the money.

Might struggle to find one but the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 has better IQ than either the Nikon or the Tamron 70-300's especially at the long end and when they do come up are usually around the £300 mark

Thanks again. General consensus online seems to be that the tamron is sharper at 300 which is generally what she'll be at.

The Sigma is 350 second hand at the moment and that's too expensive so although it'd be nice, think it'll be the tamron.

Back