Nikon Z* mirrorless

I'm slightly in shock....
Further to my earlier post about having a fall whilst covering an event.
My Z9 was received by my insurer's 'tech partner' late-ish yesterday afternoon.
Just received a phone call from the guy who is looking after it to say that it is not an economical repair!
It's actually down to the availability of the parts they need, more than a balance of costs. It's repairable but they simply can't get the bits to repair it.
So tomorrow I am due to receive a shiny new replacement via WEX.
I'm shocked that such an innocuous fall wrote it off!
Be careful out there guys.
View attachment 402435
View attachment 402436
View attachment 402437
Well at least you have a nice new one coming.

The new 135 is getting a lot of very positive coverage, but it seems so far only really from Nikon 'ambassador' types. I don't doubt it's a superb lens, but we need to see more objective opinions. Sample images do seem pretty good though. And to put the price into perspective; Leica lenses for eg tend to cost a hell of a lot more, so perhaps the relatively high price isn't quite so bad. £2699 is still an awful lot of money for most people though.

I'm slightly in shock....
Further to my earlier post about having a fall whilst covering an event.
My Z9 was received by my insurer's 'tech partner' late-ish yesterday afternoon.
Just received a phone call from the guy who is looking after it to say that it is not an economical repair!
It's actually down to the availability of the parts they need, more than a balance of costs. It's repairable but they simply can't get the bits to repair it.
So tomorrow I am due to receive a shiny new replacement via WEX.
I'm shocked that such an innocuous fall wrote it off!
Be careful out there guys.
That's good you're getting a new camera as that way you know there's definitely no other damage. I made a stupid mistake last year and was lifting up my camera backpack without zipping it up so I just felt the weight shift and then a thump as the D750 on the pavement. It was fine aside from a dent but a few weeks later the viewfinder info display stopped working which I realised must have been due to a drop and now almost a year later, the shutter has started playing up which I suspect is related.

The new 135 is getting a lot of very positive coverage, but it seems so far only really from Nikon 'ambassador' types. I don't doubt it's a superb lens, but we need to see more objective opinions. Sample images do seem pretty good though. And to put the price into perspective; Leica lenses for eg tend to cost a hell of a lot more, so perhaps the relatively high price isn't quite so bad. £2699 is still an awful lot of money for most people though.
Long fast primes are never cheap, and this is what this is.

Some context, you could buy an FTZ, Sigma 135mm ART and Sigma 85 ART for the cost of this. I just couldn't justify it, if I had the Z body.

Camera functioned correctly apart from the broken rear screen - my accident occurred at lunchtime and I continued to use the camera for the rest of the day. Very fortunate that there was no lens or mount damage.
I don't get to keep the damaged one, and given the non-availability of the parts I see no point in trying to get it back.
My business insurance is with Hiscox - first time I have had to claim and I am very impressed!
Just thinking aloud, did Hiscox actually go to Nikon or just decide themselves via their in-house tech team that the camera wasn't repairable? I had an issue with a new to me D5 at the start of this year, the store was happy to repair under warranty but Nikon stated that as it was a 'Pro' camera they had to look after the repair and refused to supply the bits to the store's tech team. I would expect Nikon to be able to repair this as it must be a common issue with Professional's dropping their cameras from time to time.

I haven't had the misfortune to damage a camera sufficiently to invoke a warranty claim so not sure how a valuable camera like a Z9 ends up unrepairable, anyway credit to your insurer for dealing with the issue so promptly.

Just thinking aloud, did Hiscox actually go to Nikon or just decide themselves via their in-house tech team that the camera wasn't repairable? I had an issue with a new to me D5 at the start of this year, the store was happy to repair under warranty but Nikon stated that as it was a 'Pro' camera they had to look after the repair and refused to supply the bits to the store's tech team. I would expect Nikon to be able to repair this as it must be a common issue with Professional's dropping their cameras from time to time.

I haven't had the misfortune to damage a camera sufficiently to invoke a warranty claim so not sure how a valuable camera like a Z9 ends up unrepairable, anyway credit to your insurer for dealing with the issue so promptly.
No idea in all honesty.
They did say that there was 'internal damage' as well (maybe the internal end of the ribbon cable?). I was about to hire one to tide me over so that's a factor in their cost equation.
I don't believe that they would be so quick to write it off without good reason, though I am very impressed with how they have dealt with my claim. Their response was definitely focused on getting me up and running as fast as poss.

No idea in all honesty.
They did say that there was 'internal damage' as well (maybe the internal end of the ribbon cable?). I was about to hire one to tide me over so that's a factor in their cost equation.
I don't believe that they would be so quick to write it off without good reason, though I am very impressed with how they have dealt with my claim. Their response was definitely focused on getting me up and running as fast as poss.
Your last sentence is interesting, not many insurance companies focus on getting the customer up and running, most focus on their profits and how not to pay out. Glad that it has been sorted so quickly.

Some context, you could buy an FTZ, Sigma 135mm ART and Sigma 85 ART for the cost of this. I just couldn't justify it, if I had the Z body.

That really does put some context on it.

I have the old 135mm DC lens and I love the focal length for portraits, so was really looking forward to see what the new Z version would be like as it might finally get me to switch over to the Z system. However the price has put me well off and I'm now leaning more to getting a Fuji GF110mm f/2 when it's back on offer with £500 reduction. I'm sure the new 135mm Plena is a lovely lens, but I'd have preferred a cheaper f/1.8s version (like Nikon did with 85mm f/1.8s vs the f/1.2s).

Long fast primes are never cheap, and this is what this is.

It's a fair point. personally, I've never got on very well with 3rd party lenses, particularly Sigma, as I've often found them to be somewhat below the quality of Nikkor lenses, both optically and in build quality. Although I do still have a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 zoom from my film days, as Nikon didn't actually do such a lens back then (plus it was very cheap bundled with a camera body). I haven't tried those Sigma lenses you mention though, and I understand their products are held in higher esteem these days. But for me, the deciding factor would be the quality of the images produced; Nikkor lenses are expensive for good reason, not just the brand, so if it was noticeably better, then I'd much prefer to spend the extra.

One I took from a short trip to Germany with work. I took the Z30 and the hotel had some unused clay tennis courts and with the sunrise it made me think of something like "The last of us" or "Walking dead" as it was so disused and the bench sat in the centre.

DSC_0540__sm.jpg

It's a fair point. personally, I've never got on very well with 3rd party lenses, particularly Sigma, as I've often found them to be somewhat below the quality of Nikkor lenses, both optically and in build quality. Although I do still have a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 zoom from my film days, as Nikon didn't actually do such a lens back then (plus it was very cheap bundled with a camera body). I haven't tried those Sigma lenses you mention though, and I understand their products are held in higher esteem these days. But for me, the deciding factor would be the quality of the images produced; Nikkor lenses are expensive for good reason, not just the brand, so if it was noticeably better, then I'd much prefer to spend the extra.
I've got the Sigma art primes. Image quality wise, nothing touches them bar moving up to medium format.

Just to round this off I received my replacement Z9 early on Friday morning from WEX. Super impressed with the support from my insurer (never thought I'd be saying that about an insurance company!).
I decided to shut the gate after this horse has bolted by buying 2 silicon covers. Very impressed with these - wish I had gone this route earlier.
Need to be removed for any tripod work but for covering events and outdoors work with clients they are brilliant.

Z9 Silicone-21.jpg

Just to round this off I received my replacement Z9 early on Friday morning from WEX. Super impressed with the support from my insurer (never thought I'd be saying that about an insurance company!).
I decided to shut the gate after this horse has bolted by buying 2 silicon covers. Very impressed with these - wish I had gone this route earlier.
Need to be removed for any tripod work but for covering events and outdoors work with clients they are brilliant.

View attachment 402878
who's your insurer?

Sorted, I use the Nikon studio setup.

Hi all,
I`ve been to the French Alps for a few days with the new toy (Z8) and it worked flawlessly , well mostly landscape there so it didn`t work too hard.
Questions, What settings for Colour space is best, SRGB or Adobe RGB ?
Reason I ask is that now I am back home when I put the photos on the PC and I use Luminar 3 for PP they ll ok on the thumb nails but when I want to PP one after the little wheel stops and I can start my processing the shot it changes and the Blues don`t look good, kinda wishy washy if you catch my drift.
Also when I look on the thumb nails some of the shots look like they are corrupted but I know I did change something on the Camera but for the life of me I cant remember, I had to change this setting as Luminar don`t update Luminar 3 now which is a PITA
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
I've got the Sigma art primes. Image quality wise, nothing touches them bar moving up to medium format.
Well, having spent a lot on those lenses, then you'll obviously be a bit biased. We've seen how the new Z-mount lenses have routinely been proven to be superior to F-mount equivalents, and in most cases that was already a very high bar. The S-Line lenses have been a game changer for me. If you already have the Sigmas, then yo don't need to change, if you're happy But for someone like myself, looking to get the best possible, then if the Nikon version is better, then that's avery important consideration. Of course, that it's 2.5x the price has to factor, but still, if I was wanting such a lens, then the Plena would be on my shopping list for sure.

I've been playing around with Z8 raw images downloaded from DPreview as my current editor doesn't support them so want to try out options before purchasing the camera, I'm having some odd issues with the files and wondering are there any other good sites with every day raw samples? When I've been searching I'm coming up against clickbait sites or they're sort of promo shots for the camera.

I've been playing around with Z8 raw images downloaded from DPreview as my current editor doesn't support them so want to try out options before purchasing the camera, I'm having some odd issues with the files and wondering are there any other good sites with every day raw samples? When I've been searching I'm coming up against clickbait sites or they're sort of promo shots for the camera.
Few samples here maybe worth looking at.

I came across this so I downloaded the nikon nx studio, once in there I transferred them to my pc in another folder and loaded each individual photo to my goto PP program.
Hope this helps.

New firmware released (4.10) for the Z9 which now adds Birds and Aircraft (ala Z8) to the subject detection options.

Unfortunately, I sold my XQD card reader with my Z7 when the Z9 arrived and I've just found out it's impossible to update the firmware without one. After an hour of trying I just cannot believe this is true but it is:-

Snapbridge does not offer a firmware update.

Snapbridge has no options to look for a firmware update.

USB connection to either the Mac or iPhone where I have the firmware file downloaded to both will not allow you to transfer files to the camera, only from the camera.

When did this become so damn difficult to do!?

Right, off to Amazon to buy a card reader now!

You often have to wait a day or two before snapbridge gets the update through.
When I searched for the firmware, the first Nikon site that came up didn't list 4.1 yet (European site?) so I had to download it from the American site instead. Guessing this is something to do with it, just 'not on the ball'?

Amazon were on the ball though, 13 hours later, reader delivered!

Definitely fallen in love on this trip with z6/z50 camera. Fantastic image creation for the money.

The lion was taken with the 16-50, all I had with me, going on a balloon flight !

Tanzanian Cats

Last edited:
You often have to wait a day or two before snapbridge gets the update through.
My Snapbridge identifies that there is an update for my Z9 but I havent updated yet.

Z9 updated, no issues so far.

After some advice please ! I’m looking to buy a small camera with decent image quality and some nice small lens options.

Thanks to the 16-50 and 12-28 I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the z50 or zf-c.

I know the main difference is the design and I’ll have to pick them up in a shop - the z50 looks much more comfortable…

Anyone have either/both and care to comment ?

Thanks

After some advice please ! I’m looking to buy a small camera with decent image quality and some nice small lens options.

Thanks to the 16-50 and 12-28 I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the z50 or zf-c.

I know the main difference is the design and I’ll have to pick them up in a shop - the z50 looks much more comfortable…

Anyone have either/both and care to comment ?

Thanks

As I understand it (and stand to be corrected), the ZFC is better suited to Photo and Video work rather then the Z50 which is better suited to stills (although it can still shoot fine video). That's mainly because like the Z30, the ZFC has a fully articulated screen (vs the tilt one on the Z50) and later software that gives you better AF with more subject tracking options and which operates down to a lower EV, and things like a red box around the screen when recording video etc, and allows continuous power via USB which the Z50 doesn't. It also has extended shutter speed for long exposure photography of up to 900 seconds, where as the Z50 is "limited" to 30 seconds.

However the Z50 counters with it being a smaller body, having a built in flash (which the ZFC doesn't - ideal for fill flash in bright sunlight), and is a traditional MILC style body with buttons if you aren't really into the retro dials on the ZFC.

Personally I like the Z50 form factor but for me if they ever did a Z30 with a viewfinder (i.e. the best bits of both), I'd be buying that, as I'd rather have buttons than dials.

Last edited:
New Nikon Z 600mm F6.3 VR PF announced - £4,999.00

Wow, that's expensive.

400 4.5 + 1.4 tc gives you 560mm 6.3. - £1300 cheaper. Same weight as this new 600mm

180-600 gives you 600mm 6.3 - £3200 cheaper but heavier.

(All prices from Nikon's website)

Back