Nikon Z* mirrorless

Last edited:
Here`s some shots from last w/e.
Z8 teamed with the 100-400 S lens.
I find this combo really good for this type of shots and very sharp.

Fritillary by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

New Life Approaching by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Fritillary by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Cricket by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

A Blue by Graham Elliott, on Flickr
Lovely Graham, I've also just picked up one of these - initial thoughts are that it's considerably more flexible and sharper for close-up work than my 300 f4+TC. The shorter MFD helps too. The only slight downside is that it's a little chunkier than I expected (more so than the F mount 70-200 FL in fact).Just need it to warm up where we are so the butterflies come out to play!

Last edited:
Ooh, interesting - been waiting on reviews of this lens. Looks an interesting option for a focal range I don't have covered. Initial thoughts? As a set, the third image stands out for me :giggle:
I’ve had it in Sony mount before. It’s a cracking lens. Fast to focus and very sharp with good colours. Highly recommended.

I’ve had it in Sony mount before. It’s a cracking lens. Fast to focus and very sharp with good colours. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the feedback - that what I was hoping for really (not having been too enamoured with the other options that fall within budget). Do you still get the distance display when manually focussing on a non-Nikon Z mount lens?

Lovely Graham, I've also just picked up one of these - initial thoughts are that it's considerably more flexible and sharper for close-up work than my 300 f4+TC. The shorter MFD helps too. The only slight downside is that it's a little chunkier than I expected (more so than the F mount 70-200 FL in fact).Just need it to warm up where we are so the butterflies come out to play!
Thans Si,
A very versatile lens for what it is, the size does not bother me for close up or Landscape but I do put it on the shoulder sling when walking about.
The MFD is very good and actually closer than I initially thought.
All shots are hand held btw.

Thanks for the feedback - that what I was hoping for really (not having been too enamoured with the other options that fall within budget). Do you still get the distance display when manually focussing on a non-Nikon Z mount lens?
There’s a distance display….!!

Here be firmware.I note that there is a firmware update available for the Zf.

I downloaded it earlier but the ZF refuses to install it because "the battery is too low", despite it showing as being 2/3s full. Oh well. Got the spare battery on charge so will try again later.

There’s a distance display….!!
Again, thanks for the feedback - must resist temptation!! :LOL:

Edit: dangerous question I know, but where did you manage to find them in stock - Wex still seem to be showing pre orders only?

Last edited:
Now update fine with a fully charged battery.
I’m holding off updating mine till we come back off our cruise. Don’t want to tempt fate, and there don’t seem to be any cures which I am needing.

Again, thanks for the feedback - must resist temptation!! :LOL:

Edit: dangerous question I know, but where did you manage to find them in stock - Wex still seem to be showing pre orders only?
Grey. Cotswold Camera. Took about 10 days.

Thanks, I'll need to shift some other gear first but watch this space :D

If you're after a ZF, Panamoz has them at £1640. 5 days to get to me and 3 year warranty.

So many of use have Zf, I wonder how many Nikon sold so far...
I moved from Sony to Nikon when Zf came out and ordered one, so don't know how Nikon is popular, but I don't think Sony had a model like this that so many pople bought it.
Maybe a7c when it came out years ago, but don't think on same scale as Zf :)

So many of use have Zf, I wonder how many Nikon sold so far...
I moved from Sony to Nikon when Zf came out and ordered one, so don't know how Nikon is popular, but I don't think Sony had a model like this that so many pople bought it.
Maybe a7c when it came out years ago, but don't think on same scale as Zf :)
It’s certainly been talked about a lot, and mainly with positive reports. Justifiably in my humble opinion.

I wonder if Nikon will make AF adapter for their AI-s lens, something like FTZ only with AF.
Techart made one for Contax G lens - TZG-01 adapter - as far as I understand, it uses that funny little screwdriver that goes inside lens and turns AF mechanism.
Maybe Techart will release one for Nikon AI-s lens too?

More evaluation of the Z8 as an actin/dog camera.
Used with the f mount 300 PF
Quite happy with this now
High ISO 18000 processed in PureRaw 4
nod to @snerkler @macvisual @imattersuk

Action test by Trevor, on Flickr

and a crop
Action test-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Torture test for any camera. Especially a fast incoming subject.
Obviously not all are in focus, got enough though.

Thans Si,
A very versatile lens for what it is, the size does not bother me for close up or Landscape but I do put it on the shoulder sling when walking about.
The MFD is very good and actually closer than I initially thought.
All shots are hand held btw.
Sling strap for me and always handheld for the close-up stuff too. This is effectively replacing a 70-200 and the 300 PF/TC in my kit bag, so it's actually a considerable win overall when it comes to size and weight (one of the two it's replacing would often get left at home dependent on what I was aiming to photograph)

Last edited:
More evaluation of the Z8 as an actin/dog camera.
Used with the f mount 300 PF
Quite happy with this now
High ISO 18000 processed in PureRaw 4
nod to @snerkler @macvisual @imattersuk

Action test by Trevor, on Flickr

and a crop
Action test-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Torture test for any camera. Especially a fast incoming subject.
Obviously not all are in focus, got enough though.
Do you still have the A7R V Trevor and how do you think they compare.
Have the 7R V but keep looking at the Z8 and like the look of the 24-120 s. Have some decent Sony lenses and believe they work pretty well on Nikon using the megadap
Thanks

Do you still have the A7R V Trevor and how do you think they compare.
Have the 7R V but keep looking at the Z8 and like the look of the 24-120 s. Have some decent Sony lenses and believe they work pretty well on Nikon using the megadap
Thanks
Mate. All my Sony gone. Some regrets. Really loved the 35&50 GM’s. Tried them on the Megadap. Worked perfectly well.
I fell back into Nikon ownership because I couldn’t resist the Zf. My initial feelings after taking delivery of Z8. OMG what have I done !! It’s taking/taken a while to come to terms with it. Warming to it though. Its performance cannot be denied.

I absolutely love my Z8 (in fact since I've had it, I've hardy used my Z9 so might end up selling it ?). I do wish it was a tad smaller and lighter (somewhere between where it is now and the Z6/Z7 size (say 800g not 900g) - but hey it is what it is.

It's one thing you have to hand to Sony is that they manage make their top tier full frame pro bodies quite a bit smaller in size and weight, yet (it seems) with comparable performance in a lot of areas (if not a bit better in others). In fact they are about the same size and weight as my Z7 II and only just a bit bigger than my M4/3 OM-1 body ?

Last edited:
Mate. All my Sony gone. Some regrets. Really loved the 35&50 GM’s. Tried them on the Megadap. Worked perfectly well.
I fell back into Nikon ownership because I couldn’t resist the Zf. My initial feelings after taking delivery of Z8. OMG what have I done !! It’s taking/taken a while to come to terms with it. Warming to it though. Its performance cannot be denied.
Thanks
Was the OMG :) due to menus/getting it set up

I don't seem to get "focus confirm" when using Nikon MF lens on my Zf using the FTZ II - as I would when using MF lens on my D850 - is this correct or am I missing something - (using manual mode)

I'd like a few "adapters" to use with my Zf - Canon MF to Zf, Nikon MF to Z and Leica M to Z - presumably with these I will at least get "focus confirm" from the Zf

great to have your recommendations for the above, KF, Urth?

I plan to get a Techart AF adapter the next time my daughter goes to the States, (hopefully in June) - does anyone know if I need to buy the Techart Canon to Zf, etc., adapters for the Techart AF to work, or will the Techart thing work with other manufacturers adapters

Last edited:
I don't seem to get "focus confirm" when using Nikon MF lens on my Zf using the FTZ II - as I would when using MF lens on my D850 - is this correct or am I missing something - (using manual mode)

I'd like a few "adapters" to use with my Zf - Canon MF to Zf, Nikon MF to Z and Leica M to Z - presumably with these I will at least get "focus confirm" from the Zf

great to have your recommendations for the above, KF, Urth?

I plan to get a Techart AF adapter the next time my daughter goes to the States, (hopefully in June) - does anyone know if I need to buy the Techart Canon to Zf, etc., adapters for the Techart AF to work, or will the Techart thing work with other manufacturers adapters
If the lens has no electrical contacts then you won’t get focus confirmation. I’ve not yet useda Nikon manual lens with contacts so I cannot comment. I use any make of dumb adapter, though K&F are well regarded.

If the lens has no electrical contacts then you won’t get focus confirmation. I’ve not yet useda Nikon manual lens with contacts so I cannot comment. I use any make of dumb adapter, though K&F are well regarded.

Many thanks,

The DSLR D850/D810/D750 and others are a lot easier to use with Nikon MF lens more so if you wear glasses - focus confirmation is clearly shown in the VF

do you know if its the same with say the Z8/Z9 - i.e. no focus confirm is shown

Last edited:
Many thanks,

The DSLR D850/D810/D750 and others are a lot easier to use with Nikon MF lens more so if you wear glasses - focus confirmation is clearly shown in the VF

Not got one of those so I don’t know. I use focus peaking and it’s a real pleasure to use, spectacles or not (my eyes vary daily so sometimes I wear specs, sometimes not).

Last edited:
Many thanks,

Hi Bill.
If you mean the little white dot with the left and right arrows either side then yes the Z8 has it so I guess the Z9 also.

I wonder if Nikon will make AF adapter for their AI-s lens, something like FTZ only with AF.
Techart made one for Contax G lens - TZG-01 adapter - as far as I understand, it uses that funny little screwdriver that goes inside lens and turns AF mechanism.
Maybe Techart will release one for Nikon AI-s lens too?
I have a whole sheaf of older Nikon AF lens and it is really disappointing that no one has made an adapter to allw these older lenses to work on the latest cameras. It cant be rocket science as there is an AFS adapter from Nikon (FTZ mk1 and mk2).
I dont think Nikon will provide one but a company like Fringer is very capable of making such an adapter.

Hi Bill.
If you mean the little white dot with the left and right arrows either side then yes the Z8 has it so I guess the Z9 also.
Confirmed it is there on Z9.

Hi Bill.
Confirmed it is there on Z9.

Thanks Graham and Jonathan.

Yep that's what I mean, must be due to the different AF system, (?), ........ but it's a pity it's not on the Zf as many are saying that it is a very good camera to use with MF glass ......... I use MF lenses quite a lot with my DSLR's

Thanks Graham and Jonathan.

Yep that's what I mean, must be due to the different AF system, (?), ........ but it's a pity it's not on the Zf as many are saying that it is a very good camera to use with MF glass ......... I use MF lenses quite a lot with my DSLR's
As I said, the focus confirmation is the strength of the red (or blue, or whatever) peaking. When you’re used to it you don’t need a little arrow. In fact, it’s so good that I prefer it to auto-focus (On real lenses, that is. Not fly-by-wire).

Back